Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why no one invades Switzerland!

Diplomacy didn't save any of the other countries such as Luxembourg. I guess my point is the reason the Swiss haven't been invaded doesn't really have a lot to do with their militia. A 500,000 man army isn't very large by modern standards and all those rifles would have little affect on tanks and airplanes.

Poland had 30 infantry divisions and 9 divisions in reserve to throw at the Germans but in only took a couple of weeks for some 2000 German tanks and 1000 German planes to defeat them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Diplomacy didn't save any of the other countries such as Luxembourg. I guess my point is the reason the Swiss haven't been invaded doesn't really have a lot to do with their militia. A 500,000 man army isn't very large by modern standards and all those rifles would have little affect on tanks and airplanes.

Poland had 30 infantry divisions and 9 divisions in reserve to throw at the Germans but in only took a couple of weeks for some 2000 German tanks and 1000 German planes to defeat them.
    Rick, you are spot on.
    They haven't been invaded primarily because they are non-aligned and they are not situated at a strategically important intersection. They were clever enough to use that to their maximum advantage.
    What I admire about their mandatory draft is that it's about more than just learning how to properly handle firearms. It's about first aid, disaster preparedness and smart thinking in challenging situations.
    How could that not be useful to anyone?

I don't have a problem with a mandatory draft. And that from a guy that wasn't in the service. I don't have to look very far to see a little of that here at home would do a world of good for some ne'er do wells. A bit of discipline and responsibility wouldn't hurt anyone.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default /////////////////////////////

excellent post