Thread: First Time Gardener, Long Time Eater

Default First Time Gardener, Long Time Eater

My wife and I just tilled a relatively small patch of ground today. We inherited a very old Briggs and Stratton tiller, which works quite well. The area we tilled is about 4' x 15'. We are planting peppers, tomatoes, squash, and I cannot remember what else. For beginners, does anyone have any recommendations for easy plants to grow?
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

lettuce, radishes, spinich. Take up little space and pretty much take care of themselves. The squash will take over the whole garden so be prepared. If you don't mind it running into the yard you'll be okay. Onions are simple. If you know purslane it also makes a great salad and you can just break it off an existing plant and stick the broken part in the ground and it will grow.

Check out Square Foot Gardening. It's really an ingenious way to grow a lot of crops in a small space.

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Cucumbers,greens,onions (green and bulb) green beans,corn.

For the cucmbers,(and tomatoes) I'd use a cattle panel (comes 16',but you can cut them if you need to) staked along side them tie the tomatoes,and train the cukes to climb,so you have more room for other produce. Green beans of the climbing variety can be planted along with corn and will climb the stalk,taking up less space,and they provide nutrients for each other as well.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)