Thread: Old tools for modern uses

Default Old tools for modern uses

I am a lover of old tools and used to do a lot of wood working, which I am finally getting back into.

One of my neighbors, an old Marine that did the South Pacific campaign is making his living selling at the swap meet. I wen over to see what he had to take tomorrow and found these oldies. I asked how much and he said " a dollar a piece". I couldn't do that though. I gave him a 5.

The Draw knife is sharp enough to shave with.

Do you folks keep around tools that need no power?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

I have several hand saws , but only one hand drill, and one planer and no draw knife yet. I need to expand my manual tool list for sure.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

When I got my house in Mass, it came with cabinets stuffed full of old tools. They belonged to the previous owner, his father, and his grandfather. The owner was 82 when he passed away 2 years before.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    When I got my house in Mass, it came with cabinets stuffed full of old tools. They belonged to the previous owner, his father, and his grandfather. The owner was 82 when he passed away 2 years before.
    Nice! I bet there were some cool old Baileys in there... Turns out the angle guage has brass bosses on it. it's older than I thought... I would have to say it's at least as old as the Beatles...

The old brace is going to have to soaked to get the chuck all the way loose. I have bits though. I recommend that everyone try a brace and bit. the control when cutting wood is so much better than a power drill.

When I built the addition on my camp I used hand tools for nearly everything. There is no power up there and I only ran the generator to rip the plywood. All the framing and t&g pine inside was cut and nailed by hand. I was still able to close it in in 3 days and have it usable by the end of the week. Hand tools are much faster than many people think they might be. Nice find Badawg!

Hand tools are great to work with. I have the requisite hand saws,hammer, etc. But I was thrilled to find a set of Drill braces and some hand planes at an Uncles house. All in good working condition. Going to include there use when teaching the grandson and godsons. It is a great idea to have the basics around for those times when there is work to be done and no power
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badawg View Post
    Nice! I bet there were some cool old Baileys in there... Turns out the angle guage has brass bosses on it. it's older than I thought... I would have to say it's at least as old as the Beatles..
    The old gent ran the area's largest lumber yard and hardware supply in the area back in the 1940's - 1960's.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Badawg View Post
    I am a lover of old tools and used to do a lot of wood working, which I am finally getting back into.

One of my neighbors, an old Marine that did the South Pacific campaign is making his living selling at the swap meet. I wen over to see what he had to take tomorrow and found these oldies. I asked how much and he said " a dollar a piece". I couldn't do that though. I gave him a 5.

The Draw knife is sharp enough to shave with.

Do you folks keep around tools that need no power?
    Talk about a great find, way to go. Most of my tools are hand tools. Some passed down in the family and some bought as scrap metal. I love old tools and enjoy the confused looks when I tell an antique dealer that I'm going to sharpen it and use it. Some will argue that I'll ruin it as an antique and destroy its value. Oh well!!
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    I love old tools and enjoy the confused looks when I tell an antique dealer that I'm going to sharpen it and use it. Some will argue that I'll ruin it as an antique and destroy its value. Oh well!!
    Yeah, isnt that funny! They must have no idea that it not only was a tool but it in fact still is one!! I finally found a leg vise to use in my smithy but it had a broken mounting tab. I said to the guy selling it that I could probably weld a washer to it and have it back in service in an hour. He was very confused and warned me that the washer might ruin it! It didnt!

I've been picking up some older tools lately. I've posted a few pics here and there. The place I've been getting them (flea market) has one vendor that has some connection for bank estate sales in Pennsylvania. I'll snap a few pictures of his booth(s) next time I'm there. It'll make you drool.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

"Old tools for modern uses "? Wouldn't the uses still be the same?

Nice find!
    I kinda collect them as well.
    Some were from my grandfather, father, father in law, sale, and various other sources.

One of these days I'm gonna have to get them together, in one place, sort of a Old Tool Kit.
    Something to use when there is no power.

I keep my eyes peeled at flea markets yard sales etc, but it seems a lot of people are also collecting old tools, and the sellers are pretty proud of what they are selling.

I picked up a lot of antiques, to be used at Rendezvous, trunks, pots, axes, and yeah, even a draw knife.
    Seems I need to get back to collecting................
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Modern uses... As in Modern Times.
    I have a beautiful french Draw knife that I paid 80 bucks for a few years ago and after trying this one today in a split, I think it is pretty nice. Going to get that black paint off it and maybe inject some epoxy into the handles so they are tight. The handle stoppers are hammer welded in place so removal could be damaging.