Thread: No fish story: Man jailed for weighting fish

Banned

Default No fish story: Man jailed for weighting fish

DALLAS — A suburban Dallas man must serve 15 days in jail after admitting to stuffing a lead weight into a bass he caught during a fishing tournament. A Texas Parks and Wildlife Department spokesman told The Dallas Morning News that Robby Rose must also surrender his fishing license. That's after the 45-year-old man pleaded guilty to felony attempted theft after admitting to rigging his fish.

The felony charge relates to the bass boat Rose hoped to win with the rigged fish at a bass-fishing tournament on Lake Ray Hubbard last October.

Rockwall County District Attorney Kenda Culpepper told the newspaper that her office considered the issue one of a $55,000 bass boat, not a 10-pound fish.

The newspaper reported fishing contest officials became suspicious after feeling a lump inside the fish and confronted Rose.

___

Information from: The Dallas Morning News, http://www.dallasnews.com

Yeah - I think it's more of an issue of fraud and grand theft rather than a lead weight.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

sad that he cant just try his best and accept defeat.

If that's the case, don't we need to start putting Nascar crew-chiefs in jail?
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

You can write everything I know about NasCar crew chiefs on the head of a pin and have room left over, but the last time I was up north there was a fishing contest and first prize was 10,000 bucks, second prize was a snowmobile and third was a quad, so yeah....not surprising that cheats are showing up.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

We used to fish local tournaments and the cheating was rampant. These were fish anywhere tournaments. You were supposed to show up for sign in the morning of the tournament and then for weigh-in in the afternoon. Two persons per team.

My brother and his friend would always place in these tournaments. Thing is they always started fishing the night before and would usually be accompanied by quite a few friends who contributed their fish to the live well.

The other team that always did very well, always had fish that looked remarkably similar in size and body type. Week after week they showed up with unusually large fish that also were unusually light in color. You usually see such light colored bass in deep clear water quarries or when kept in fish tanks. After several consecutive first place wins at various local tourneys. The other contestants said that they wouldn't fish the tourney if those guys showed up with the same fish at the next one.

They showed up with the more typical for the area darker bass. Though they never were able to get back in the top spot for as long as I fished the tourneys.

Also, there was a lot of fish sharing. Say I caught a 3 lb and only a couple of barely legal bass. While its possible that you might place with such a small catch, it was extremely unlikely. So, we would meet up at a certain point in the day and see how our friends were doing and donate the fish to the other team if they had a better chance of winning. A 3lb with a 5lb and a 5 fish limit could put you in the top three.

Banned

So Much for the Honor system,, Its sad really,,

Blog Entries

Cheaters always get caught, eventually.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Yeah, well actually, it was so wide spread that it wasn't funny.

It got to be where most folks knew that the otherside was cheating and so they felt that the only way to win was if they cheated as well.

Most of the small tackle shops have gone out of business around here. At least the ones that threw the tourneys back then.

Though, if did ruin the contests for me. I would get up and go to sign up and though my brother-in-law usually covered the entry fee, you still didn't have the excitement of the chance of winning. Because you knew that others already probably had a limit in their live wells before they even signed up.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.