Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machete and its variations

Thumbs down Machete and its variations

Hi,
    For quite some time i have felt that the single most useful tool to take into the bush is a machete, obviously this is no secret as many indigenous civilizations developed their own variation... My current one is a Gerber Gator machete, while it is no where near the perfect machete it certainly is useful. My plan now is to forge my own, The reason i post is to get everyones views and opinions on what the most useful variation is. If you could just give the name of it, and what makes it better that would be great. Pics would be even greater!

We've actually got 199 different threads where machetes are discussed. One member (Pict) has quite a bit of experience with them and has posted some great youtube videos on some modifications that he has done. If you need help finding them, let me know. In the mean time - stop on by the introduction section when you get a chance and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There are many threads on this forum on the machete and modifications made by members of this forum. A good place to start for you would be to use the search feature and look for related posts. The link below will give you an idea of the many threads on this subject.

Here is a link to a search I did for you on Machete modifications.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...archid=2118355

While you are chopping around the archives using the search feature give us a bit of an intro so we can better offer suggestions to your abilities and skill level.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Banned

I bought one of these at a yard sale for 5 bucks,,, I have had it for a couple of years,, very tough ! folding/lock blade, ww2 Air Force Survival Machete,

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

(images from the net,, I lost my camera in the River, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    We've actually got 199 different threads where machetes are discussed. One member (Pict) has quite a bit of experience with them and has posted some great youtube videos on some modifications that he has done. If you need help finding them, let me know. In the mean time - stop on by the introduction section when you get a chance and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    wouldnt this one make it an even 200th.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    wouldnt this one make it an even 200th.
    Actually no - this thread was included in the search parameter "machete".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Actually no - this thread was included in the search parameter "machete".
    I see thank you for the info. I retract my previous question.

Justin that folding machete is too cool never seen one of them before.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

At least the O.P didnt ask what was the BEST SURVIVAL MACHETE and its variations

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    I see thank you for the info. I retract my previous question.

Justin that folding machete is too cool never seen one of them before.
    Mine is the cattarigus USA,, but they were also made by others I think,, You can buy them here,,,, a Little spendy though,, I got a great deal , ,, the one i have is 225.00 on one site http://www.wardogmilitaria.com/index...oducts_id=2048

but i see a remake for 50.00

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...achete&spell=1

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=9295

Look for Pict in the members list. Read all his posts and threads. He is the resident expert on machetes. Basically, I don't believe what anyone says about machetes unless Pict verifies it.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=9295

Look for Pict in the members list. Read all his posts and threads. He is the resident expert on machetes. Basically, I don't believe what anyone says about machetes unless Pict verifies it.
    Come on now, I'm just a user/addict not the original inventor.

The OP is very broad so the search feature is the best route to go. I wouldn't go through the trouble of creating your own machete unless you are already into such things. It is far easier to find what you are looking for or modify something out there that is close to what you want. Machetes are inexpensive and lend themselves to modification very easily.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Come on now, I'm just a user/addict not the original inventor.

The OP is very broad so the search feature is the best route to go. I wouldn't go through the trouble of creating your own machete unless you are already into such things. It is far easier to find what you are looking for or modify something out there that is close to what you want. Machetes are inexpensive and lend themselves to modification very easily.

Mac
    But your Videos are Awesome !!

Mac, you are being too modest, if I had any questions I would go to the master.
    ('couse those sandals still give me the willies..........)

JC, now that is just plain COOL, never saw one like that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Pict is indeed the 'machete man'.

I've had several khukuris and maybe five different sorts of machetes. For what I do, my current favorite is a Tramontina with a 10" blade. It cost me less than NZ$10, and it is just wonderful. I recently used it when I had to butcher a few sheep and I found it could be 'batoned' down through the backbone to split the carcase in half.

I've made a couple of machetes from saw blades, but dang... the steel in the cheap Tramontina seems so good I don't think it is worth making one.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    (images from the net,, I lost my camera in the River, lol)

Justin, I got a floating strap for my Stylus 850 SW. It ain't the best camera. But, for swamp and river rats its a good on hand camera.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Justin, I got a floating strap for my Stylus 850 SW. It ain't the best camera. But, for swamp and river rats its a good on hand camera.
    thanks ,, even if i had a floating strap the camera wasnt water proof,,, I did a Really STUPID thing,, had it in my pocket and hoped on a seadoo,,, Lost a phone the same way,, I know, I D I O T ! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    I wouldn't go through the trouble of creating your own machete unless you are already into such things.
    I got fed up with store bought equipment so I began to make my own axe handles, knives, paddles, boats so the machete is my next project.
    thanks for the help, There seems to be a lot on machetes here

North,

If you are really into making things and have the time and skill then go for it. I don't yet have the tools or skills to create my own blades. I have taken several machetes that are available on the domestic Brazilian market and modified them to what I want and I'm very satisfied withe results.

The variety of machetes out there is truly mind boggling but keep in mind that the farther away they tend from the basic Latin pattern or the standard 12 or 18 inch Ontario the more they will be suited towards one task. Most of the odd shapes found in machetes are that way because they have been adapted to focus in on one particular activity or task, like cutting sugar cane. That is fine as long as you find yourself doing the same thing in the same type of vegetation. If I know I'll be spending a lot of time clearing tall grass it will affect my choice of blade.

If I'm planning to use the blade for a variety of tasks from clearing trail, clearing campsites, constructing shelters, harvesting edibles etc the I want a blade that is suited to all of those tasks. For me, here in Central Brazil the blade I use most often for a wide variety of jobs is the 16 inch Latin pattern Tramontina.

The object is to carry the largest blade you are comfortable with. Speaking only of the Latin pattern Tramontinas I have had occasion to take many people out to the bush and teach them how to use a machete. I have found that people will tend to like a machete that is the same length as their forearm measured from the elbow to the first knuckle of their middle finger. For me that is 16 inches. Guys who are a little shorter than me always seem to like the 14 and guys that are taller tend to like an 18.
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Machetes are wonderful items,I have one tied to my pack in place of a heavier axe.It still does the same job,but you don't have to carry the extra weight,love em'.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"

Default I have a question

So, what' the best survival machete?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"