Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Survival Knife Template?"

Blog Entries

Cool "Survival Knife Template?"

While I do agree with most of the points brought up by Sourdough, Benesse, & Crash on the term: "Survival knife;" I don't think making that term taboo would work as 1st of all we'd have to have the word "Survival" blotted out every time someone tried to use it for other things as well. Also, think of this, someone tries to post the age-old question & this is what they get: "What kind of ******** knife should I buy?" Then, the title of this site might be "Wilderness ******** Forum." If you just made the term "Survival knife" taboo then you've got: "What kind of ******** ***** should I buy?"

So let's look at the situation. Basically what I think we're being asked is: "what kind of all-purpose, outdoor-type of knife that will save my a$$ if I ever need it in an emergency situation, should I buy?"

I'm thinking of a work-sheet or template that might help them out that we can just point them too but don't want to do it all myself; so I welcome any & all suggestions. Here's what I've got so far:

1.) How much money do you have to spend on it?_________

2.) Where do you plan on using it?____________(Dry land? On the water?)

3.) What do you think you'll be using it for/on?__________________________________________

Okay, chime in folks!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

do you have any experience with knives .

What have you used a knife for in the past .

will your parents allow you to have a knife (kids)

Personally I think we make too big a deal of it. If I need to ask questions before I can provide a meaningful answer, then I'll ask. It ain't rocket science fellas.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Great start.
    Being a relative newbie though and thinking back on
    where my mind set was when I first considered THE knife choice
    here's what was important to me and still is.

A knife with the most range/flexibility/durability.
    Serrated/straight edge combo? Finger guard, etc.
    Don't know what I don't know. However...
    If you can have only one knife what would it be?

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Yes, I can see having a guard between the handle and the blade! The other 3 things I look for is:

1.) Rockwell Hardness between 56-58.

2.) A full tang.

3.) The price.

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Yes, I can see having a guard between the handle and the blade! The other 3 things I look for is:

1.) Rockwell Hardness between 56-58.

2.) A full tang.

3.) The price.

When I first started looking I didn't know about full tang.
    Then I researched and saw the wisdom in it.
    I had no idea about price. I knew what good kitchen knives cost (I have a set of Sabatiers, full tang) but didn't know what to have in the BOB. Then I researched and settled on Mora 780. Had to start somewhere and the consensus on this one resonated with me.
    The question is, where do you start when you don't know squat about anything? How do you streamline your questions so you begin to understand the answers.
    And how do you apply that to yourself?
    My answer so far is...start somewhere and build from there. Learn, evolve, revise, improvise. But never think there's a universal perfect answer. Unless it works for you it's not perfect.

Knives also fall into 3 size catgories (small, medium and large). I carry at least one of each.
    Small - I put several knives in this catagory, ColdSteel miniPendelton Hunter, RAT Izula, Becker Necker, and the Moras
    Medium - RAT RC-4 or RC-5SERE, ColdSteel Master Hunter or SRK
    Large - BenchMade BushMaster, Kershaw D2 Outcast, Busse BattleMistress. I also put in this catagory Hawks, small axes and sharpened entrenching tools.
    For survival knife, folders or on the bottom of my list or as utility tools.
    The type of steel will be determined by the enviroment and upkeep you want.
    A full length tang is a must for strength and durability.
    Hardness based upon tool usage and ease of sharpening.
    Price - You get what you pay for!
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

1.) How much money do you have to spend on it? Good question.

2.) Where do you plan on using it? Don't matter. Hey guys, sorry, can't use my knife to spear that fish because it's only a land use knife. Or, I did not stick the bear and save Sarge because DUH...it's a water knife. Don't you know anything?

3.) What do you think you'll be using it for/on? Duh...cutting. If you want to make a cabin, get an ax.

4.) Rockwell Hardness between 56-58. What's a Rockwell hardness?

5.) A full tang. Of course.

6.) The price. See qestion number 1.

7.) Does it throw a spark?

8.) Handle...leather / bone or some new funky crap?

9.) Easy to sharpen...or is it one of them thar funky concave blades that you need to send back to the shop or buy a shop to sharpen the darn newfangled poc.

10.) Do you want to throw it?

11.) Length...is it big enough to enhance your penis size?

12.) Sheath...what are you looking for? Come with the knife or custom?

14.) Shiny blade for signalling?

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    1.) How much money do you have to spend on it? Good question.

2.) Where do you plan on using it? Don't matter. Hey guys, sorry, can't use my knife to spear that fish because it's only a land use knife. Or, I did not stick the bear and save Sarge because DUH...it's a water knife. Don't you know anything?[1095 carbon steel rusts easier than D-2 Stainless, which is more costly, that was my point.]

3.) What do you think you'll be using it for/on? Duh...cutting. If you want to make a cabin, get an ax.[okay, but cutting what? Serrated edges work best for rope.]

4.) Rockwell Hardness between 56-58. What's a Rockwell hardness?[The rockwell Hardness test is an indicator of the strength of the steel.]

5.) A full tang. Of course.

6.) The price. See qestion number 1.

7.) Does it throw a spark?

8.) Handle...leather / bone or some new funky crap? [good point.]

9.) Easy to sharpen...or is it one of them thar funky concave blades that you need to send back to the shop or buy a shop to sharpen the darn newfangled poc.[also an excellent point.]

10.) Do you want to throw it?

11.) Length...is it big enough to enhance your penis size?[huh?]

12.) Sheath...what are you looking for? Come with the knife or custom?

14.) Shiny blade for signalling?
    I've answered within the body of your post.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I don't have a problem with calling "IT" whatever you want, as "IT" always seems to generate at least 3-4 pages of discussion, and this is a Survival Forum, right?

I vote lets just move on...............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I've answered within the body of your post.
    Hardness and strength are two separate things.

Good idea Sarge and others. Instead of saying "This is the perfect survival knife" we should tell people to make a list of must haves and pick a knife that meets all those points. The catch 22 is that most who will ask the dreaded general question of "what should I get" have no idea the qualities it needs to have. Here are a few of my contributions to add to the list.

Are you going to baton with it?
    Are you going to cross cut with it (chop)?
    Are you going to do fine carving?
    Are you going to skin with it?
    Are you going to pry with it?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Hardness and strength are two separate things.

Good idea Sarge and others. Instead of saying "This is the perfect survival knife" we should tell people to make a list of must haves and pick a knife that meets all those points. The catch 22 is that most who will ask the dreaded general question of "what should I get" have no idea the qualities it needs to have. Here are a few of my contributions to add to the list.

Are you going to baton with it?
    Are you going to cross cut with it (chop)?
    Are you going to do fine carving?
    Are you going to skin with it?
    Are you going to pry with it?
    What if my question was (which a newbie might well ask)
    "If you could carry only one knife in your BOB what would it be?"

Yeah, you could carry 5 different knives for all sorts of things but if your space is limited and you need a good
    all purpose knife for general bug out use it's a fair question.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    What if my question was (which a newbie might well ask)
    "If you could carry only one knife in your BOB what would it be?"

Yeah, you could carry 5 different knives for all sorts of things but if your space is limited and you need a good
    all purpose knife for general bug out use it's a fair question.
    You are absolutely right. Just remember that if someone is asking the question, then chances are, they don't know what they will do with it. Giving them a list of questions for them to answer will help them see for themselves what will work for them.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Have you guys ever thought you are making this way to complicated confusing those new to the subject. You guys know more about knives than I ever will but I have used them as much as anybody here. In my experience hardness is not that important. Harder metals hold an edge longer but take longer to sharpen. It works out to be about the same amount of time sharpening. I prefer skining and filet knifes be harder just so I don't have to stop to sharpen knife but for knives I work with I may have to cut things that will dull any edge fast in which case I prefer a softer steel that easier to put an edge on. That's about the only difference I see. Heavy blades can be forced more and thin blades slice better. Rubber handles are more durable than anything else in foul weather. Knives with edges on both side double the odds you cut yourself and whoever said you cut yourself more with a dull knife is an idiot. I have cut myself to the bone with sharp knives barely touching them. They are purpose designed and just like firearms will have to sacrafice something to gain an advantage for any purpose. Round blades for skining, pointed blades for boning, longer blades for chopping, pocket knives for handiness and multi purpose, etc. What I look for in a knife is how suitable it is for the purpose and then it is built with enough quality not to break, period. Most of my knives I have had for decades and never gave them a second thought.

Banned

I dont think its that you cut yourself more with a dull knife,, but a dull knife does more damage if you happen to cut yourself ,,

Blog Entries

I'm thinking that a good generic answer for the same old generic question should do.

Q. Whats the best survival knife?

A. ie. Rat Co. RC-4 plain edge!

In other words. Put our collective heads together and pick one good knife for the Wilderness Survival Forums to recommend to beginners. Then any time someone asks we tell them the Mora(or which ever knife is chosen) is a good choice.

Most often, to much information is confusing to a beginner.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I have to agree. If a person is a beginner they need a good all around knife. Something they can use for utility more than anything else. Once they gain experience they will learn what limitations knife X has and where best they can use it. Provide a starting point and let them grow.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have to agree. If a person is a beginner they need a good all around knife. Something they can use for utility more than anything else. Once they gain experience they will learn what limitations knife X has and where best they can use it. Provide a starting point and let them grow.
    Lets have every active member list one knife they would recommend to a beginner. The knife that is listed most should be the standard answer we give.

Blog Entries

I'll start this off saying that the Mora 2000 is a good knife for a beginner.

Thats a great idea. My vote goes to the Swiss Army Soldiers Knife.