View Poll Results: Does Building a Fire in the African Plains Attract or Repel Lions???

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Attract

0 0%
  • Repel

2 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Africa Fire Controversy

Lightbulb Africa Fire Controversy

Africa Fire Controversy: Some say people should not build a fire in the african plains because LIONS are somewhat attracted or curious about the fire and when a LION is curious they check it out and some say building a fire keeps LIONS away WHAT DO YOU THINK???

I have no experience in Africa, but will be interested in hearing your experience, or that of other members of the forum
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

We do have one member on here from South Africa. He will be your best source of information on the subject. As for me, a night in the hotel on the African plains would eliminate the worry of lions altogether.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hmmmm....I don't know. Toilet paper, on the other hand...
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 09-25-2010 at 07:42 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

If she has that big cat is gonna go...."Oh man. Will you look at that! What's the matter with you?! Folks live around here. Do I crap in YOUR living room?!"
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

And if the owner of that living room gets upset, it'll give a whole new meaning to "cat hole".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

can we bring marshmallows ?

there was a tv special where lions ( all big cats ) are afraid of flaming marshmallows on a stick

especially if the marshmallows are being waved around by a raving lunatic
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

I am curious to know what the answer is to this question, I always thought all animals were born with a fear or instinct that "fire is bad stay away".
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian-guerilla View Post
    can we bring marshmallows ?

there was a tv special where lions ( all big cats ) are afraid of flaming marshmallows on a stick

especially if the marshmallows are being waved around by a raving lunatic
    Thats good to know. Now All i need is a lion to test that theories
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

See its a real controversy imagine if you are a Lion in africa and you see a bright light or something and you curiosity will kick in and you'll find out what is the light/fire and what just welderguy said that ......"all animals were born with a fear or instinct that "fire is bad stay away".
    A person who never looked back from where he has been, ain't gonna get to where he is going.

I don't know about lions but the "Big "cat in my house likes the fire in the fireplace.

IMG_2017.jpg
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

i have no first-hand experience, and only limited knowledge of lion behavior, but like many large predators, they seem to sometimes loose what trepidation they have of humans if they associate human behavior with the availability of food. i bet money that a given lion who has gotten the better of a lone traveler by fireside could learn to associate camp-fires with a free meal.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    i have no first-hand experience, and only limited knowledge of lion behavior, but like many large predators, they seem to sometimes loose what trepidation they have of humans if they associate human behavior with the availability of food. i bet money that a given lion who has gotten the better of a lone traveler by fireside could learn to associate camp-fires with a free meal.
    Ah good point, I wouldnt have thought of that association.

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Ah good point, I wouldnt have thought of that association.
    Kinda like Yogi, and a picanic basket.

Yeah, I know Yogi is a bear, but I'd think the same principles apply.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Kinda like Yogi, and a picanic basket.

Yeah, I know Yogi is a bear, but I'd think the same principles apply.
    well I guess so if the lion is yogi and the the person is the pik a nik basket then yes I see the analogy

Quote Originally Posted by phenigma View Post
    Africa Fire Controversy: Some say people should not build a fire in the african plains because LIONS are somewhat attracted or curious about the fire and when a LION is curious they check it out and some say building a fire keeps LIONS away WHAT DO YOU THINK???
    What controversy? What people?
    What did I miss? where did you see that?
    What did the experts say?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Not all animals are afraid of fire.It has been documented that Rhino will attack a camp and stamp out a fire,but most predators will stay away from fire,only coming closer when the fire has burned down to coals.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Late View Post
    Not all animals are afraid of fire.It has been documented that Rhino will attack a camp and stamp out a fire,but most predators will stay away from fire,only coming closer when the fire has burned down to coals.
    What, Smokey The Rhino?
    I guess if I was to head into lion territory, I would defer to the local experts, as to whether or not to have a fire.
    I'm thinking that I would rather have one than not, but thats just me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phenigma View Post
    I think I'm never going to Africa so it's not something I really care about.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

You just watch, Kevin. Next month you'll be giving a tour outside Pretoria and you'll be thinking, "Man! I sure with I would have paid more attention to that fire thread."