View Poll Results: Whats is the most Deadly/Difficult/Challenging Terrain???

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alaska

0 0%
  • Amazon

2 20.00%
  • Sahara Dessert

5 50.00%
  • Pacific Ocean

4 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: The Most Challenging Terrain???

Exclamation The Most Challenging Terrain???

These are the 4 most terrains i could think off, What is the Most Challenging Terrain..... Alaska, Sahara Dessert, Amazon or (being Stranded in a Life Raft in the.....) Pacific Ocean???

I want to vote for other and say "Unknown Terrain" is the most challenging/difficult.

the most Deadly/Difficult/Challenging Terrain is the one that you head out to unprepaired and unskilled to handle . just look thru the forum and you will see how many hikers have parished in local terrain .
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by roar-k View Post
    I want to vote for other and say "Unknown Terrain" is the most challenging/difficult.
    OK i can considder that answer?!
    A person who never looked back from where he has been, ain't gonna get to where he is going.

I didn't "vote" for any of the choices.
    I guess I have to say, that any of the choices would be daunting/deadly providing you are not planning to be there, therefore, not prepared.
    Then again so would a bad neighborhood in a major city at nite.

Your idea is good, but seems to me just an exercise, rather than a practical application?

IMHO, a plane crash anywhere would be the most challenging provided you survived the crash itself, as you are severely limited to basic personal gear.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Well just using the 4 choices and thinking of a scenario of a plane crashing where you were restricted to allowed carry on items. I have to say the Pacific Ocean (any saltwater body of water).

You have few options for shelter, fresh water or food. You have few options to leave sign for rescuers. You are exposed to predators. Some wreckage may be available. But, far less than would be available at any other location.

All of the other three would allow for use of the wreckage to some extent and you can more easily find what you need to survive and wait for rescue.

I know that you didn't mention a scenario. But, I tried to think of a way you could get most of into a survival situation in one of those environments and that was the best one I came up with.

Banned

I agree with Batch,,, But I think any extreme environment would be almost Impossible to survive in for any length of time without any gear,
    Last edited by Justin Case; 04-10-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: add

Blog Entries

I think it's a dumb question that was not thought through before being asked.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

You need to read through this thread. You also need to take some time and read through the many posts that here on the forum. Most of the questions you've asked have been asked and answered. Try using the Search button, then if you don't find it, ask away but read through this first, please.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=5477
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I did vote because it's the most challenging terrains for you but I would have to say the 4 most challenging terrains would be mars, pluto, the moon and the sun

Quote Originally Posted by skully View Post
    I did vote because it's the most challenging terrains for you but I would have to say the 4 most challenging terrains would be mars, pluto, the moon and the sun
    Not Uranus?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

thats a little vague. There are so many variables to consider....
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Blog Entries

I live in Alaska and I don't find it all that challenging. Every time I head out I go prepared for anything I think my happen and hope that I'm right.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Desert, lack of water, wide open, and grit
    Not to mention HEAT

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tripwire View Post
    Not to mention HEAT
    Trip: The heat's not that bad... you either get used to it or in 36 hrs, you won't know the difference.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

From Wikipedia:
    Terrain, or land relief, is the third or vertical dimension of land surface. When relief is described underwater, the term bathymetry is used. Topography has recently become an additional synonym, though in many parts of the world it retains its original more general meaning of description of place.

Terrain is used as a general term in physical geography, referring to the lie of the land. This is usually expressed in terms of the elevation, slope, and orientation of terrain features. Terrain affects surface water flow and distribution. Over a large area, it can affect weather and climate patterns.

Region is most commonly a geographical term that is used in various ways among the different branches of geography. In general,may be seen as a collection of smaller units (as in "the New England states") or as one part of a larger whole (as in "the New England region of the United States"). Regions can be defined by physical characteristics, human characteristics, and functional characteristics. As a way of describing spatial areas, the concept of regions is important and widely used among the many branches of geography, each of which can describe areas in regional terms. For example, ecoregion is a term used in environmental geography, cultural region in cultural geography, bioregion in biogeography, and so on. The field of geography that studies regions themselves is called regional geography

I think you missed it a little with this thread! Terrain can be the same in many locations. A swamp is a swamp, mountains are mountains, etc. I have not been to most of the regions you listed but have dealt with very similar terrains as most.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripwire View Post
    Not to mention HEAT
    "Deserts are arid regions, generally receiving less than ten inches of precipitation a year, or regions where the potential evaporation rate is twice as great as the precipitation."

Not all deserts are hot. In fact exactly half of the world's principal deserts are cool coastal deserts, cold winter deserts or polar.

So depending on the time of the year or location your main problem in a desert might be a lack of any heat.

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0778851.html