Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SlingShot in progress

Blog Entries

Default SlingShot in progress

Well first of all I ain't quitting knifemaking.I am just waiting on materials, and belts to come in. I can't not be working on something, cause I go stir crazy.This another thing I loved to do as a kid. I saw anther knifemaker make some of these. A little more tactical looking and made from g10. I have some cocobolo 1x4 pieces and decided to try it out. This is as far as I got today. I am trying to figure out how to cut some nice clean grooves where the flat bands will be tied.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

I havent made a slingshot in over 30 years, I remember how much fun I had with them growing up . The ones I remember making were the best looking Y shaped branch I could find.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Welderguy, I am keeping an eye out for some TX e bony, mesquite, and eucalyptuses forks. This has been fun so far and reminds me of my younger days making crude ones. Also reminds me when we made rubber band guns with cloths pins and shop coke can tabs at each other.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Yep, me too. Usually we made them from Dogwood. Not many that have that "Y" shaped branch were as tough.

Quote Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
    Welderguy, I am keeping an eye out for some TX e bony, mesquite, and eucalyptuses forks. This has been fun so far and reminds me of my younger days making crude ones. Also reminds me when we made rubber band guns with cloths pins and shop coke can tabs at each other.
    Oh good lord You want some mesquite fork, the area I live in is full of mesquite, send me some dimensions and all look for some for ya, the ebony and eucalyptus arent in my area but I do run across it from time to time.

Oh yes I remember the rubber band guns, I can also remember getting in a world of trouble because I thought it would be real fun to shot home made tooth pick darts at my brother and sister, That wasnt a good idea.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Thanks WG I am surrounded by mesquite, buy I am really not even sure what to look for. I still need to do some more reading on what to look for. tooth pick dart.....hmmmm.... I am glad I didn't know about them as a kid or I would have gotten in some big trouble.
    -Frank

Blog Entries

Here it is after hand sanding for an hour, and buffing. I found some spots that need resanding that didn't show up until I finished buffing I still need to do some teak oil treatments and put some rubber on it and test it out.

-Frank

Cool! My son just made one out of stick he got from the woods, a big fat rubber band, and some duct tape. LOL! He's been "chuckin' " rocks for the past week with it. You should see the blister that thing leave on his little fingers though. Maybe I should think about making a real one for him...
    If only he didn't get bored so darn easy!!!

VERY nice work, Panch0!! Beautiful.

Hey...is that a smoker? Lord, I would love one that size!!!
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Now, this is just an idea so stay with me. I think you need to toss some pork butts on that smoker. Get 'em to the point they are just about done. Then we'll all come over, have some pork and supervise you finishing the sling shot. All in favor?

Aye, aye, Aye, aye, Aye, aye, Aye, aye, Aye, aye,

Looks like the eyes have it. What time will the pork be done?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks WG I am surrounded by mesquite, buy I am really not even sure what to look for. I still need to do some more reading on what to look for. tooth pick dart.....hmmmm.... I am glad I didn't know about them as a kid or I would have gotten in some big trouble.
    Oh yeah south Texas, I knew that , LOL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Now, this is just an idea so stay with me. I think you need to toss some pork butts on that smoker. Get 'em to the point they are just about done. Then we'll all come over, have some pork and supervise you finishing the sling shot. All in favor?

Aye, aye, Aye, aye, Aye, aye, Aye, aye, Aye, aye,

Looks like the eyes have it. What time will the pork be done?
    Sound like a great idea Rick. Let do it!!!!
    -Frank

Looks really good. For added strength in the handle are you going to add a stick tang knife?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Lol Sound like another great idea. I was thinking of using some 1/16" thick and 5" long little knives and making a rabbit hunter set. Just thinking, but really who shoots rabbits with slingshots anymore, well at least not around here anyway. I am going to try thats for sure one I get some flat bands for this one.
    -Frank

Are you sure that's the same piece of wood? It sure is purty!
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

Blog Entries

Yep, if you look at the second pic you can almost make out that eye looking knot in the handle.
    -Frank

That's a "crazy lookin' shooter"! I like it! I still have gramps. I don't know how old it is. The bands are gone but the wood looks good.

Blog Entries

I sure would like to see a pic of the gramps.
    -Frank

I sure would like to see a pic of the gramps.
    No promises. I'll see if I can find it.

It's not where I thought it was. It'll be a long time before I happen to see it.

Blog Entries

No biggie, thanks for trying.
    -Frank