Thread: Knife Smithing

Thumbs up Knife Smithing

Ok guys long post you don't have to read it if you don't want the question is at the end but the history explains the question.

history
    hey guys I'm planing on making knifes for use , friends , practice at this skill, and plan fun! i have been around welding and metal my hole life. my skills in welding range from decorative things like banana holders to metal flowers that i hand paint. Ive made metal civil war potato cannons powered by compressed air and my bigger projects are a metal king size bed frame and of course my 1964 gmc rat rod truck.

knife smithing
    so for the past few mouths i have been reading up on anything i can and getting my supplies and practicing sharpening techniques Ive also been restoring knifes i guess you could say for practise and to get more familiar with the work.

but while going over my planing i thought about something i hadn't really thought about before witch is

question
    at what Fahrenheit dose each degree of burn happen
    1st
    2nd
    3rd
    4th
    degree

yes i will be wearing safety gear i have been around red hot metal before and i know how to be safe around it but i want to know if a accident did happen what degree of burn would i been getting from the versus temperates i will be making these knife.

also you can check out my pictures of my projects on my myspace in my sig
    Last edited by KimmyHead; 04-12-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Edited link to site

What what I can gather, burn degrees have to do with temp, time and how much is burned as apposed to total body area..

I would guess that most any temp, that will alter metal in any way, is not a good thing to touch with out protective equipment.
    Found this:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2132525AAehcC8
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hey thanks that is pretty useful i tryed searching didn't really come up with anything thought but from that you would pretty much be looking at a 4th degree burn if you get a 3rd in 5 second if the metal was 140 F

most of the burns you are likely to get will result from very brief contact [you are likely to accidentally touch a piece and immediately withdraw your hand or drop the piece].

you should be wearing leather or heavy cloth gloves, and flame resistant full sleeves and pants any time you are working with metal at forging or hardening heats.

on the other hand, grinding is far easier with bare hands, and you will quickly learn that steel being ground on a belt goes from just too hot to comfortably hold to +200f very quickly. you will learn to cool your piece as soon as it starts getting uncomfortable, or suffer many minor burns.

you should be sure if you are doing any hammer forging that your clothing does not have a loose collar or sleeves, and the same should go for grinding. those sparks/spalls and slag are very hot, and while not likely to cause serious injury anywhere but they eyes, can be painfull. you should of course be wearing full eye protection
    Last edited by canid; 04-12-2010 at 01:19 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

KH - I agree with what H63 and Canid said. Keep in mind someting like sunburn. First and second degree burns are common, and result in length of exposure. In that case, simple protection is easily achieved.

I edited your myspace link, as you cannot put links to your sites/pages in the body of your post. You can include it as part of your signature if you wish.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

hey thanks crashdive123 and sorry didnt know about the link

No problems. Good luck with your knife making.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel