Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Soapmakers on board?

Blog Entries

Let us know how good it is once it's cured, this is something I'd like to have a go at.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I tested a little of the cooled off goop on a tender spot under my arm. Skin is still there and there is no burning.
    DO NOT DO WHAT I JUST SAID I DID TO TEST YOUR SOAP. THAT'S REALLY DUMB. (but it did let me know really quick if the soap was neutral)

I'll post steps and ingredients in another post in this same section for others to try.. now that I've done it, it's really very easy.
    Last edited by your_comforting_company; 04-08-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: afterthought
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

How fortunate your arm didn't look like your avatar!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

YCC, I would let the soap cure in the mold until it is solid. HOWEVER, I would not use it for at least 2 weeks as it takes a while for the lye and lard to saponify. I would hate for you to chemicaly burn tender parts of your body.(lower)
    I have never had a problem with the clean up but the person who taught our soap making class pointed out that when you shower the soap is on your most tender skin longer than when you wash your hands.
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

Blog Entries

That's the advantage of hot-processing the soap. It stays liquid and allows it to completely saponify before pouring it into the mold. It's usable as soon as it's solid. The opacity of the HOT solution is a good indication that it has saponified completely.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

For the record, I still haven't washed off the application of the soap on the underside of my arm and I still have no reaction to it, so it must have worked. A quick dab and washing it off really quick would have proven nothing. That spot has had soap on it for hours now and it's not red or irritated. It smells pretty good to have no perfumes or other stuff in it tho.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Thanks, I may have to try this method. I was not looking forward to waiting for soap to cure for 2 weeks while not able to take a bath.

I saved the seeds from when I made blackberry wine last year. Thinking about using them to make a hand soap with an abrasive sort of like LAVA.
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.