Thread: Look For Potential Hazards On Your Property

Default Look For Potential Hazards On Your Property

We spent a good part of the day with no power. Clear, calm skies – and then without warning….

Thankfully nobody was hurt. This tree was very large, and limbs coming off of it have caused downed power lines at least twice in recent years. I know that my wife and I, along with others have commented over the years that they really need to take the tree down. Today the owner said – I knew this was coming down sooner or later. I guess I just gave him a blank stare.

It should serve as a reminder to us all to take a look at potential hazards around our property and take care of them. This could have been much worse. One of the residents said they were about five minutes away from going for a drive.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Glad no one was hurt Crash!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned

Thanks Crash,,,

Blog Entries

Here's one for ya', Crash.

In Mass, we have "public shade trees." That's any tree on your property within 25" of a road. You need official permission to take a tree down, even if it's a hazard. Otherwise, you're in deep sh*t it you remove it. I have one in my front yard that's been dropping limbs for 10 years. Can't even get the town to look at it.

At my R.I. place, we have one 75' tall that's dead, dead, dead, 1/4 on our property, 1/4 on our neighbor's property, and 1/2 on state property. Been calling the state about that one for a year now.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wow.......a chrysler 300 "LOWRIDER".........

I've got two coming down as soon as I find someone who won't charge me an arm and a leg to drop it cut it and leave it. It's the leaving it part that's the problem. Everyone I've called wants to charge me AND take the wood.

Glad nobody was hurt! We get asked to take trees down all the time for people and there are some cases when we will but usually it is cheaper to repair the power lines than it is to cut down a tree. It isnt a very popular answer.

Knife scales!!!! Lots and lots of knife scales!!!!!!

Glad the only loss was power.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    We spent a good part of the day with no power.
    Crash, next time that happens, please give me a courtesy call, so that I won't post anything about 2dumb while you're off-line.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

A few years ago, a lot of people around here, were mad about their homeowners insurance. Most of the ins. companies would not pay for removing trees that were technically still standing.....even if they were at a 45 degree angle, over your house.

A neighbor of mine asked the ins. guy if they would pay for his house, if the tree hanging over it fell the rest of the way. The ins. guy said "Yep", but when he asked if they would pay to remove the leaning tree, the ins. guy shook his head and said "Nope".

My neigbor wasn't going to leave his family at risk, so he payed a tree surgeon to remove the leaning tree. I never asked him what it cost, but it couldn't have been cheap....it involved bringing in a crane.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The guy that works for me had a super huge Live oak over his house covered with resurrection fern. The rains over the winter split the tree down the middle. He had to have it removed.. If you want an idea of the cost to remove a tree and leave the wood laying in the yard.. $1700
    Would have been $2500 probably to move it. It was around 6' in diameter.

Thanks for the reminder Crash. My grandma has some pecan trees that really need something done with them... Almost sounds like I'm volunteering
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I was renting a house and Manitoba Hydro came and cut a bunch of limbs that were a potential threat to the power lines off of a few trees right behind where I was staying. All the dead limbs landed in my yard. I asked the property owner if Hydro was going to come back and clean up and got 'yep, they're responsible'. A week later I called the local hydro office and got "nope the landlord requested that we do it, the landlord's responsible'. It was a pretty big pile of pretty big limbs, big enough in fact that at the end of week two there was enough to leave half a pickup truck load outside of the hydro office and half outside the property manager's office and still plenty left over for my outdoor fireplace.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Looking at the opposte end. It's wise to look at more than topo maps of an area you may be moving to. Mining activity, dried up underground water courses and landfills can all cause catastophic sinkholes to appear.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

We never cut or trimmed any trees. We paid $500 for a branch on a half rotten apple tree when we got a formal complaint. If I needed to run a line I stood at the pole or house and used a throwing ball with string.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Banned

Default Tree Branch On Power Line (Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I hate that sound!!

Banned

I'll Bet you do ,,,,

The last tornado I worked we were in an alley that had tons of trees down. We had cut a path through and were in the process of putting stuff back up. I had talked to the power crew and told them where we were. I didn't want anyone to turn the power back on because they still had stuff down around us as well. I was on a pole up through a tree when they kicked the power on. That little flash arc went off about 10 feet to the right and behind me. After getting over the scared and when I stopped shaking I went looking for a power crew.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Thats scary stuff,, Did you find them ? well I assume you didnt, you are not in Jail for Murder,, lol

I did. They were working a couple of streets over. According to them the Dispatcher is the one that controls what's turned on. We did have a conversation about how stupid dispatchers are...even if they work on a crew.