Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melting pine or fir resin without a metal container?

Default Melting pine or fir resin without a metal container?

So this has been on my mind for a while, and i havent come up with a solution. How did native people melt down pine sap for arrowhead lashing, ect?

Erunksurvival has a couple of videos up on youtube showing him melting pine sap. He did it by making a fire under a rock or a shell with a depression in it. I believe it shows it in the one where he makes his own bubblegum. Maybe someone with better skills sing the search engine or know how to spell his username correctly can find it.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    Erunksurvival has a couple of videos up on youtube showing him melting pine sap. He did it by making a fire under a rock or a shell with a depression in it. I believe it shows it in the one where he makes his own bubblegum. Maybe someone with better skills sing the search engine or know how to spell his username correctly can find it.
    Yeah i have seen his videos. I didnt see the rock depression one, but it sounds like a good idea. You need to actually find a rock with a depression though. I saw that he did it with sea shells, but im not on a coast or anything.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have freshwater muscles here. They work just as well, if you fire them first. They can tend to be a little, umm.. unstable (kinda like sarge ) so I recommend heating them in a fire before getting up close and personal with them in use IN fire. Clay pots were also used, but quite a bit harder to make on the fly. Skullcaps of certain animals could be used also.
    In my mind, drink cans and soda bottles litter every corner of the world. wouldn't really be that hard to come up with a metal container these days.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

There was a post on here about boiling water in plastic bottles, I havent researched that but if it would work for water it might work for melting sap.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

hi guys,

sorry to hijack this thread but i wondered if anyone knew the safest modern day technique for melting down pine resin/sap/pitch? Would a deep fat fryer work and or a crock pot?

Thanks

I use a tin can on the woodstove, kitchen range or camp fire.

Tin can near some coals for me. I keep it away from open flames while melting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Some guys float the pitch in a tin can of water as they melt it down. Doesn't make it any less flammable but I think it may be easier to purify that way.

Quote Originally Posted by storm77 View Post
    hi guys,

sorry to hijack this thread but i wondered if anyone knew the safest modern day technique for melting down pine resin/sap/pitch? Would a deep fat fryer work and or a crock pot?

Thanks
    Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
    There is a introduction area

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...-Introductions

I would guess any of the containers you mention would work,....but I sure the container would be toast.
    As has been brought up, keep away from flames is important, although if it does catch it can be sniffed out with another pan or metal bucket.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Dig out a bowl shape in a piece of wood and fill it with sap. Melt it with a hot rock.

this thread brings up another question. What do you use as a binder with the pitch? I've used charcoal or dry herbivore dung, specifically deer, elk and rabbit.

Spruce sap mixed with fat was used for canoes.

Charcoal is what I've used. I just grind up some from the fire. Never used dung before. I don't think that will make my bucket list either.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I tried to post a link to youtube but for some reason the form won't allow me to. If you search youtube for "How to make pine pitch glue" there is a good video by BombMastre
    He who has ears to hear and eyes to see...learns something daily...

You don't have 10 posts yet. Once you have ten post under your belt then you can post links. It's just one of the ways we keep a handle on spammers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ah, ok thanks Rick... and that makes 10 ROFL

Dig out a bowl shape in a piece of wood and fill it with sap. Melt it with a hot rock.
    Caution when heating rocks, they can shatter with considerable force. Certain types of stone are better than others. Taking the time to learn which might save your life.
    Quartz can actually explode when the water is poured over a hot stone which contains it.
    Sauna - Rocks do matter

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    this thread brings up another question. What do you use as a binder with the pitch? I've used charcoal or dry herbivore dung, specifically deer, elk and rabbit.
    I used a little bit of hardwood (oak if memory serves) ash. Maybe 1 part ash to 8 parts pitch or so. Disclaimer: I did this once to make some arrows and it is the only time I have done it so my first hand experience level is low.

-Dan

You know I was seeing gobs of pitch collecting around cut off branches at DD and SIL house while I was walking the dogs....Their lot is in a pine plantation.....and thought about bring a container and gathering up some....just to try this......and didn't.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27