Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pocket fishing tackle

Geronimo,

I do agree with you about the Midwest. I haven't used my kit but I have fished plenty in these areas to know that a hook, weight, swivel, and a dug up worm will catch many fish. I don't think that it would take any special practice to drop my line off of a bank.

I suppose my kit would not really make a great survival kit, based on the posts so far. I guess I thought that it was suitable for the areas I frequent the most, but like I said before, I do intend to look my options over and perhaps reassemble a little bit larger kit with a few more items.

Flatlander

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Didja ever make a net without the doodads? I done learnt it in the navy. MMmmm, works good. Just some para -cord and knots.
    A guage is just something to set the size of mesh but it can be done without it just won't be as consistent and since I can use any stick to do it I will stick with that doodad. It's much the same with the needle. It is just a way to thread a lot of string through the knot and could be done just feeding the whole spool through knot but again I would make one from a stick if I did not have a needle. With a needle it takes me about 5 seconds to set each mesh but I would not be helpless without it, it would just take longer.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in a much different location but it looked like good kit to me. add any old sapling and down here I've had much success using not much more than what you have. I can post pics of a nice mess of catfish we cooked on a rock again that we caught with a basic kit like that. Frogs and crickets were bait. I just thought with the compact size of things like jig heads and plastic bodies you might save a little time and energy not having to get bait (if they'll bite plastics). IMO it's a good kit that wouldn't need much else in it unless you intend to stay much longer.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

This kit will not hold much bait in any kind of current so that limts you to top water and still water fishing. Without pole casting to work larger areas sets further limits. I fish all kinds of fish in all kinds of water but target gear and technique to the fish I'm going after. One size does not fit all. My experience is in Alaskan waters but when he says Rockies I'm thinking ther water has some current to it and the most likely species trout. Fly fishing gear is ultra light and probably best suited for what he wants. Single salmon eggs on a thin leader work well for most trout around here. I use a single bead as an atractor and a trailing hook. For me it's all about getting the job done and trailing hooks will catch many fish that don't bite but just check out bait. But he's not really talking about survival just a weekend outing so it really does not matter. The most common question when people see you catching fish is "What are you using?".

I like to always the motto " You can catch a big fish on a small hook, but you cannot catch a small fish on a big hook." I prefer to use small hooks so I can catch anything that bites.
    Survival

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you all brought it up...

Carbide works for me!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Dylan View Post
    I like to always the motto " You can catch a big fish on a small hook, but you cannot catch a small fish on a big hook." I prefer to use small hooks so I can catch anything that bites.
    Small hooks fold out straight on big fish. Where do you get this stuff? I keep mentioning trailing hooks, even if fish are to small to swallow bait the trailing hook snags them.

Blog Entries

Cool Uh, AS....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Small hooks fold out straight on big fish. Where do you get this stuff? I keep mentioning trailing hooks, even if fish are to small to swallow bait the trailing hook snags them.
    The young man is quoting something he's obviously read somewhere. Ron Hood teaches that as well, I believe.

ATTN. RANGER DYLAN DUDE! Remember, where your geographic location is what dictates the method that you will use.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

AS, nice post on the net tying. i'm curious what kind of twine do you recommend for a net like that?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    AS, nice post on the net tying. i'm curious what kind of twine do you recommend for a net like that?
    Generally I use nylon thats been treated to resist water but I have used mono filament for survival type net because it is invisable it the water. Nets are illegal or when used heavily regulated because they are so effective. Even up here if monofilament is used it must be 6 strand to be legal. A real distinction needs to be made between survival and sport fishing. Knot holding ability is a function that needs be considered as with most fishing line.

thanks for the info, around here gill nets are regulated too, pretty much must be a native american to use. i was just curious for information sakes.

True sarge true my bad forgot bout that haha :P
    Survival