Thread: comparison shopping

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

Default comparison shopping

now that i have my camera back
    it brings back memories of my " shopping around " before buying it

i made an Excel spreadsheet with specs for 4-5 different cameras, with PRICE as the # 1 consideration

and i even find myself comparing little things, something simple like a chocolate bar

this one has 51 g and the other one has 65 g

and i'm sure everyone has noticed downsizing of some packages while the price stays the same or goes up

and then there are the times, when i know what i want, i just go in and buy it, and i'm out of there

there's not too many brand names that i actually look for nowadays, price and value seem to be my main considerations now
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

I only do that in BJs and Costco. If you aren't real aware, you may actually spend more than you would on the same item in a grocery store. I've noticed lately that Wallyworld is selling bulk purchase things for prices below both.

But, I'm not caring so much if my Reeses Peanutbutter cup is smaller than a KitKat. I hate KitKats.

But you're right. Packaging is getting smaller while cost goes up. And the packaging has had the nasty habit of changing quite often recently. It's gotten so I hate going to the grocery store, either the designs make my eyes bleed or worse, it takes me 10 minutes to find a single item. Particularly OJ. Tropicana has made some pretty dumb design changes recently.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    Particularly OJ. Tropicana has made some pretty dumb design changes recently.

i used to be a Sunny D guy

first it was 2 L bottles, then 1.89 L, and now it's down to 1.6 L

but has the price come , nooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Worse than that are the products where packaging has stayed the same but the product is smaller. That's a price increase anyway you cut it.

You can comparison shop at thefind.com. Just plug in the product you are looking for and it will return that product with all the stores that carry it along with the price. It works pretty well most of the time. Sometimes it gets confused about what you're looking for.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Worse than that are the products where packaging has stayed the same but the product is smaller. That's a price increase anyway you cut it.

You can comparison shop at thefind.com. Just plug in the product you are looking for and it will return that product with all the stores that carry it along with the price. It works pretty well most of the time. Sometimes it gets confused about what you're looking for.
    I have that same problem.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"