Thread: What Optimism do you have for the future?

Default What Optimism do you have for the future?

I try to look on the bright side but these days I need some help. Maybe you do too so I thought we could share things that are going right or trends that may lead to something good. One thing I have noticed with the lean economic times is families moving back in with each other. Old people being cared for by their kids and young families moving back in with their parents. I feel this will strengthen the family unit again and maybe even restore some morality and wisdom to America. Sorry that's all I got, You got anything?

Without going into too much detail - becasue it involves politics - more and more peopl are starting to pay attention to how politicians are behaving.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There are some pretty strong indicators the economy is coming around. The auto makers posted phenomenal gains. March saw the biggest jobs gains in three years. The DOW has remained above 10K since early March and hit 11K at one point. There are still some ugly numbers out there like long term unemployment but all signs indicate we're on the back side of the recession. That's good news.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You can't get blood from a rock.

A better awareness by the population in general. Hopefully more attention to their economic health. More awareness of the political and economic establishments. Their responsibility to be better informed and diligent about the actions of their elected officials. Maybe this burp has matured folks. And last but not least, the importance of family.
    Last edited by Pal334; 04-02-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to having running water with-in 8 months & a flush toilet with-in 10 months. I look forward to being alive.

I look forward to the joy that a man gets from building his own home with his own skill, endurance and perseverance. I look forward to the baby geese, the green grass, and seals returning to the river mouth. I look forward to watching the bears in the back yard, the eagles in the trees, and the red-back voles stealing the goose food.

I'm very pleased with the whole "green" movement thingy! There has been great progress in reducing the polutants going into the air and water. I just passed a "wind farm" this week. Made me smile alot!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I just passed a "wind!
    Sorry - couldn't resist.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Sorry - couldn't resist.
    Well.... it made me smile alot too!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Well, I have been skating on the razors edge for a couple of years now....I've been on the brink of both bankruptcy and divorce since 08, most people would've given up by now, but I keep treading, fighting and struggling in hopes that something will break soon, and times will get better. Sometimes, I am optimistic that if I gave up and gave-in to those two, i would be happier and have an easier life, after starting over. But, I fight on....quitting is not in my genetic code, i guess.

I am optimistic about my son! He is the bright spot in my life, he and all my dogs keep me motivated to get out of bed every morning. He is a year and half (almost) and looking into those little eyes, and seeing that little smile make me remember how awesome the world and life can be, and he gives me hope that if I keep on the path I am on, it will eventually get me somewhere.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Blog Entries

More and more people are re-learning forgotten skills, vegetable gardens are on the up, as is keeping chickens, preserving and a plethora of others. I've noticed recently it's a lot easier to find preserving supplies than it was even 6 months ago.
    And what Pal said too.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I just read an article that said that construction unemployment is down.
    In Feb. it was 27.1%........march was only 24.8%.

I'm being positive. I think if we get new politicians, things will get better. That means new construction projects. The only way that the same politicians can stay in power, will be if they use the other half of the stimulus money for pork projects, to buy votes. That means new construction projects.

Either way, things will hopefully pick up, for me, in the not to distant future.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Pal - Sorry, but I don't agree with you on this one. We easily forget how bad the medicine tastes once we feel better and don't have to take it any more. Some folks will learn a lesson in this and make permanent changes but I'm afraid the vast majority will fall right back into the same old comfortable ways they enjoyed before. Hard times will come again with the next recession and there will be folks complaining about all the very same things we've seen on here and heard time and time again with recessions past. We just don't learn very well or for very long, I'm afraid.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Pal - Sorry, but I don't agree with you on this one. We easily forget how bad the medicine tastes once we feel better and don't have to take it any more. Some folks will learn a lesson in this and make permanent changes but I'm afraid the vast majority will fall right back into the same old comfortable ways they enjoyed before. Hard times will come again with the next recession and there will be folks complaining about all the very same things we've seen on here and heard time and time again with recessions past. We just don't learn very well or for very long, I'm afraid.
    Perhaps, but as I am seeing the housing market as an example (especially amongst the folks that I know have a financial choice), they are buying more reasonably . And even though woefully low, the savings rates are showing a plus. Guess it is a matter of perspective
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

If the economy ever just completely when kaput, I think all of us here would be in high demand!
    "Tread lightly and carry a big stick."-Ben Franklin

Give them until 2011 or 2012. By then we will be blissfully ignorant again. We'll either be saying, "Aaar, I be rememberin' the recession of '09. Like a blight she was. Nothin' but death upon the waters." OR......"Well, golly gee, it wasn't all that bad. I just did a balloon note for a home 4 times what I can afford and, well, I did the same thing in 2007." I suspect most will be the latter. But I sure hope YOU are right and I am wrong! Wouldn't that be nice?

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Checking the obits in the paper and not seeing my name is a good sign. New politicians that will include me in their handouts. Young women who love older men. I actually make money in the stock market. I could go on all night.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I try to look on the bright side but these days I need some help. Maybe you do too so I thought we could share things that are going right or trends that may lead to something good. One thing I have noticed with the lean economic times is families moving back in with each other. Old people being cared for by their kids and young families moving back in with their parents. I feel this will strengthen the family unit again and maybe even restore some morality and wisdom to America. Sorry that's all I got, You got anything?
    That ain't enough? sounds like a good start to me.

A zit hurts worse right before it comes to a head. But once it does, and you pop it, it feels much better. I think things are about to come to a head.

Chip

Banned

I am not sold that there is a comeback....maybe for a select few at th top ranks of industry, finance and agriculture and yes families are living together because they have to, not want to. The fact that home prices are still going down, rich folk are making ungodly gains while the middle class and poor are sinking every hour of the day. I do agree some of these prices are "Corrections" to an over-inflated market and economy, but that excuse can only go so far.

I honestly think the USA as a whole and hard working middle folk as an individual are really going to see some very hard times come June/July and then again in Oct. In those hard times, you will see people like Trump and some others grow exponentially and at the same time working folk fail at the same or higher rate of the Trumps of the world gain.

$5 gas by labor day will be enough to hault the economy. Produce, meat and grains are already at all time highs and have been rising weekly. Gold, silver and other precious metals are at all time highs due to the loss in strength of the USD$$. At the same time, wages, increases, benefits have dropped.

So many countries owe us so much money that there is no way to collect it. We are leveraged out by China, Japan and even ourselves. We are giving away so much money that even the CBO cannot come up with a final number for last year to entitlement as well as foreign programs.

These wars will not last forever and that cash cow will drop, many defense workers out of work.

I personally feel we are in for some very very hard times that just may not recover. It will be a different place here in the USA with-in a year, negatively so.....

Things such as clean water, sugar, flour, whiskey/booze, guns/ammo/batteries, tobacco and street drugs will be the economy in a very short time........paper money will be worthless and we PREPS will be using it for fire tinder. Grains and veggies will be tolled in ounces, not pounds or baskets. Your daily calorie intake will be dropped to about 600 and mostly starches and bad fats.

The commidties of hand craftsmanship will come back strong and will be used for repair and rebuild. If you know how to dig a well, create a home wind turbine....heat w/o power....you will then be in the new upper class of the new society and very much in demand.

I am not paranoid or an alarmist, just facts are facts and when you sum it all up without voodoo math, the truth is the truth. You cannot fix trillions (14.3) with savings of billions, with a reduced tax base and increased spending.....

IMHO