Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are these?

#2 got shrunk down quite a bit. I believe it is the same as #6 in my first set of pics in this thread. I tried to show the racemes which are 3-5" long and remind me of the mustard family.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CG, #3 is definately not cleavers. These are Cleavers
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

#6 doens't look like any mullien I have growing in my yard and I have year 1, 2, and 3 growths.

#13 looks an aweful lot like hemlock to me.
    This is not for sure hemlock, but hemlock looks like this plant so I'm not messin around with it till I know for sure.

I'm still in the learning stage where I need the flowers to properly identify most plants. Sorry I can't be more help than that.

RWC in your latest set:
    #1 also resembles hemlock, but could be a carrot.. Don't take any chances! I have them growing in my yard too, although the roots are much smaller. If the Extension Office ever gets back to me on it, I'll let ya know.

#4&5 the rings on the trifoliate leaves would indicate to me that it is some type of clover. The violet and yellow sorrels in my area don't have rings on the leaves. This is violet wood sorrel (Oxalis spp.)

Flowers are the only way to get a positive ID on an unknown plant. The reproductive parts are the most unique parts of the plants.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    CG, #3 is definately not cleavers. These are Cleavers

#6 doens't look like any mullien I have growing in my yard and I have year 1, 2, and 3 growths.

#13 looks an aweful lot like hemlock to me.
    This is not for sure hemlock, but hemlock looks like this plant so I'm not messin around with it till I know for sure.

i'll go back for some close-ups on the woodruff/cleavers and possible mullein

whenever i see anything leafy, my first thought is of poison hemlock

so right now i'm just taking pics and marking locations for further study
    i may put a leafy and lookalike catagories into my blog for this
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Blog Entries

i may put a leafy and lookalike catagories into my blog for this
    I think that's a great idea. Lookalikes can be deadly! and a side-by-side comparison would be priceless so that you can note the most obvious differences. When I see deeply dissected pinnate leaves like that an alarm goes off in my head. According to my literature, poison hemlock is not pubescent (fuzzy) and has purple mottles on the stem instead of stripes.

If I find any mullein sprouts from this year I'll take pics of them too. There's quite a few fuzzy plants around that are not necessary mullein. Stachys spp. comes to mind as one.

It'll be lots easier to tell what all these plants are once they flower.
    I've been teaching my mom the names of plants and how to identify them and she bought me this book. It's pretty expensive, but it has great pictures of seedlings and mature plants in flower.
    https://www.discountbooksale.com/sto...%20the%20south
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Mind if I put forth some plants for identification?

A

B
    Last edited by preachtheWORD; 04-05-2010 at 10:31 AM.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Blog Entries

B looks very much like the bullbrier greenbriers over at my parents house. definately monocotyledon. If it turns to a vining plant, that's what I'd say. Some greenbriers have thorns and some don't. Keep an eye on it for thorns and tendrils. Smilax spp.
    The ears on the leaves look a lot like carrionflower. Keep an eye on the flower. 6 petals and stamens and a bad smell would convince me of carrion-flower.

Can't really see the flower of A well enough to look it up in my books but it looks very familiar. Maybe someone a little more experienced can give you better answers. Does it have a cluster of stamens and pistils in the middle, and are the stamens fused?
    From what I can tell about it, there are a lot of possibilities. Where was it found? roadside / field / wasteground, or lawn, or wooded area?

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

RWC in the last run of pics, if #1 is hairy and smells like carrot, it's carrot! If it stinks and isn't hairy ,go wash your hands! #4 white clover, #5 buffalo clover.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Thanks YCC and Ted. I'll check out the ones you both mentioned. Some of the plants are starting to flower already. I did get elpel's book and will be trying to put plants to family as soon as they do.

went back for some close-ups
    still undecided about woodruff/cleavers ( do cleavers hairs grow later on ? )
    on the left of the 3rd pic, does the stem look square-ish ?
    gonna go back again and try for even more close-up-ness

i'll find a remote patch of this plant ( it's everywhere ) and follow it for growth observation

woodruff or cleavers, both are edible, and there's lots of it here

Last edited by Canadian-guerilla; 04-06-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Lydia

not sure if this one is natural
    or this tree has something wrong with it ?

Lydia

hairy V stems

Lydia

saw this beside a " natural preserve " building, good chance it's just ornamental

Lydia

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian-guerilla View Post
    went back for some close-ups
    still undecided about woodruff/cleavers ( do cleavers hairs grow later on ? )
    The cleavers in my yard have the prickly hooks even on the small plants. I would say you have woodruff instead of cleavers. The leaves on cleavers are also much longer
    on the left of the 3rd pic, does the stem look square-ish ?
    Yessir, the stem looks very much square to me.
    gonna go back again and try for even more close-up-ness
    not sure if this one is natural
    or this tree has something wrong with it ?

Looks to be very similar to galls caused by parasites, but I can't say for sure as there are a few species of trees that have glands. Really looks like galls though, (something wrong with it )
    hairy V stems
    Looking through my leaf pictures there are a LOT of possibilities for this plant. Mark this one for observation and we can figure it out much more easily when it has flowers
    saw this beside a " natural preserve " building, good chance it's just ornamental

Willd guess on this one but it looks like Locust or possibly honeysuckle based on the woody stems and overlapping leaves. Many sensitive plants and pea family plants have similar leaf shapes also so that could be way off. Maybe Ted will recognize some of them. There are a lot of folks on here who've been studying plants much longer than myself and they have probably seen them as seedlings and know what they are right off.

again, I apologize for not being more helpful than that. You're turning into quite the cameraman. Those are some really nice pics and I've been following your photobucket albums. Good work my friend.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

CG, hairy V's probly cow parsnip, and your second one looks like crown vetch ,which is often used ornimentaly.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Blog Entries

Default sample differences to look for

I thought I'd take a minute to show the differences in some of the plants that have been asked about in this thread. Knowing what to look for is half the battle with identifying wild plants.

Sorrel vs clover:
    sorrel has "shamrock" leaves (heart-shaped leaflets) and 5 petaled flowers,

while clover has pealike flowers in heads and usually a ring on the trifoliate leaves. most times NOT heart shaped leaflets.

greenbriers have many shapes, but always vining plants with waxy leaves and tuberous roots. Some have thorns, some don't, but all will have tender edible shoots, and most have tendrils

this picture includes 2 different species of smilax. Notice one has tendrils and thorns. I believe the larger leaved one to be carrionflower.. will be keeping an eye on it till it blooms.

I think all 6 species native to this area are in my mom's yard (bless her heart) and I'm trying to convince her to eat them out of existence lol

This is a mullein sprout that came up in recent weeks

the others I posted have been there for at least a year, the bigger ones 2 years, and the third year plant gets a HUGE basal rosette and the dense flower head. The flower stalk is useful for hand-drilling fire and the leaves have medicinal use.

It's all in the details. The best identifier for any plant is it's flower, especially if you want to get species specific.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

YCC, have you ever tried mullein as " nature's toilet paper " ?

Lydia

Blog Entries

yessir I have. It works well. I recommend getting new leaves after use if you aim to smoke any of them or make tea. If you have a cough or congestion you can crumble it and smoke it or just set it afire and burn it like incense to alleviate symptoms. If you are allergic to the smoke, you can make a tea from the leaves that also helps, but I recommend using a filter because the hairs are irritant to the mouth and throat (don't ask..) Mullien is one of those miracle weeds I just can't stand to kill.
    catalpa and mulberry leaves also work well for tp.
    the yellow sorrel is a favorite sour treat. I like eating the yellow buds before they open or waiting until they make the seedpods. deliciously sour!

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

I'm getting ready to have some mullein tea myself right now.

Thanks for the clarification on the clovers/ sorrel YCC.

I tried using Elpel's tips on flower families today when I found what looked like a cherry tree in bloom, but forgot which family that was. 5 sepals, 5 white petals, many stamens surrounding one pistil.?? I'll have to look it up and commit it to memory.

FYI, raw fresh basal rosette GM greens are great on pizza and bologna sandwiches. As long as you don't use too many the bitter is hidden and they are just plain refreshing. The flower buds of GM seem kinda sweet and not as bitter, I munched a few today while hiking. they were actually really good and I could've ate a bunch. The pointed new stalk leaves of GM seemed as bitter or more so than the basal greens did, but the jury's still out on that one. The flower buds of the Wintercress tasted great until the bitter kicked in. I think I'm getting somewhat used to the bitterness now though.

I'm seeing more greens now, several appear in the mustard family, but I'm waiting for flowers to see for sure. Evening primrose is starting to leaf out as well.

Blog Entries

The pistils are typically clustered and fused OR singular with numerous styles (ends of the pistil). Rose family (Rosaceae) and Plum subfamily.
    did it look like these?

One is a fire cherry and the other is a plum. same family and subfamily

this one is also in the rose family, but it's the rose subfamily and has many simple fused pistils in a cluster. this is a common treat here in the south and I can't wait for them to fruit! Rubus occidentalis or dewberry or brambles

Keep an eye on the evening primrose, great medicinally and the stem is supposed to be a good source of cordage (did I say that already?) I have a few blooms under my porch that opened this evening after the rain. Quite something to watch them open.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

They were very similar, if i recall correctly the tree is pin cherry, unless it's an ornamental that escaped.

It is the sweetest of the wild cherries we have. bright red fruit with a big pit.