Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you send YOUR child?

Default Would you send YOUR child?

The school system my son attends found a note in a boys restroom that with threats of a gun being brought to school on April 1st.

THe school system and local law enforcement are on high alert and the LEO's will be at the school throughout the day,until all persons have left the grounds after school,all afternoon events have been cancelled,and no one is allowed back into the building after school is out for the day.

Would you send YOUR child?? I am sending mine,betting that this is an April fools joke gone father than probably intended,a sick joke that is not funny,but betting that with all the LEO's on hand,it's probably the safest place to be.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Thr...-89548752.html

It only took them 2 WEEKS to notify parents of the threat.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

That is pretty scary Nell. I might leave mine home for the day if it was their school. We brought guns to school but it was to go hunting when school was out. Heck, the guy who sharpened my knives back in school (and really the guy who taught me to do it for myself) was a science teacher and he had us sneak them into class for him to do it. It really bothers me when people threaten with guns...it gives to much ammo for the anti's I hope it is a April fools joke and I hope the person responsible understands what a a$$hat he is!

Blog Entries

I'd bet it's only a prank, except I don't gamble. Even with full blown screening at the entrances, something could happen just outside the door. There may already be a gun hidden inside the building. How fast can the police respond to gunshots? Not fast enough, IMO.

Think about it. There was a warning. It's your son's life and safety. How would you feel if even the least likely nightmare were to happen?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I'd hate it Ken,but after talking it over with him,he doesn't want to stay home and let whomever wrote it know that he is afraid,(something wrong with that,because he hates school,he is 18,and I really gave him the choice).

Another student was suspended 2 weeks ago for threatening my sons life already,and he won't allow them the pleasure of even thinking he is afraid.

Am I scared,you bet,I would prefer he stay here.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I agree that it's probably a prank, but I would not send him that day. I know there will be screening in place, but weapons could have been brought in days or weeks in advance.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If he understands the risks and still wants to go than I guess he must think it is a prank also.

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    I'd hate it Ken,but after talking it over with him,he doesn't want to stay home and let whomever wrote it know that he is afraid,(something wrong with that,because he hates school,he is 18,and I really gave him the choice).

Another student was suspended 2 weeks ago for threatening my sons life already,and he won't allow them the pleasure of even thinking he is afraid.

Am I scared,you bet,I would prefer he stay here.
    I was going to suggest you keep him at home but in light of this post--the fact that he is 18 and feels the way he does--I'd say make it his call.

Blog Entries

Ah, kids...today we are skipping school and going to Chucky Cheese...My Treat.

I agree , My first reaction is keep him home. But at age 18 he has to start making his own decisions. You are apparently satisfied that he is aware of the details and circumstances. Not an easy decision, but it is part of parenting to teach your children and then trust what you have taught. Never easy
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

An 18 year old WANTS to go to school? Holy cow. I say let him. How you gonna keep him away?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    An 18 year old WANTS to go to school? Holy cow. I say let him. How you gonna keep him away?
    Yea,18 and nearly twice my height and weight,wellllllll weight anyway,I'd feel safer if he were to stay home,especially since I work 12-9 tomorrow,and it will be a 45 minute drive (by the speed limit anyway) to get there should TSHTF.

Hardheaded kid.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Suggestion.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Suggestion.

LOL,Ken,a short 30 minute drive down I-65 and I can pick one of those up for a song,but I'm not so sure it would work on my hard headed son...

Monday was Senior Skip day,and he was mad at me for making him go,now I'm trying to talk him in to staying home,might as well be beating my head against the wall.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

prank or not, there isn't a cold chance in hell I'd send my kid. I'm no gambler either, but the possibility of getting a weapon onto school grounds, and into the building is all too familiar. anybody remember colombine?
    nope. I'd insist he stay home. It don't matter what anybody else thinks. There is a canyon between being scared and being safe.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Just tell him your going too and will spend the day making sure he is safe...no 18 year old boy wants to be shadowed by his mom! It might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    AHHHH,DUCT TAPE,how could I forget!

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Kids his age fight in wars.
    Let him make his own decision and say a prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Kids his age fight in wars.
    Let him make his own decision and say a prayer.
    When I made my first post, I didn't see his age. I would have to agree with B here. It sounds like he has all the facts and knows that you're concerned.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm rather pissed that this site signs me out if I don't type a short enough reply...and I just lost a big one. Grrrrr!

Long story short, Nell...Maybe I'm not the one to give advice on this, but I will.

I think most of us take this type of thing too lightly. I would NOT send my child back to that school until it was safe enough NOT to have guards. I'm so irritated with the way the PA school system runs, I've officially enrolled my son in PA Charter School which is a cyber school paid for with tax dollars. He will be taking his classes here with me, on line, and participating in the school districts extracurricular activities. (sports)

This type of thing is not like when we are kids. Things like picking, threats, and bullying are different now, and I think we've all seen proof of that. We have to stop brushing it under the rug, implying some 'right of passage'. It's not LIKE it was when I was a kid...it's worse. Much worse. I, for one, will not allow that drama to hurt my child's education, so he will be here.

Just my 2 cents.

How do I keep this darn site from logging me out? I'm not always able to type out my reply quickly...
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com