Thread: Another one for ID

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Another one for ID

There are lots of these blooming right now where we hunt. I am certain it is in the carrot family, because of the 5-petaled flowers in compound umbels.
    I've gone through just about every plant in the TAMU herbarium list for apiaceae family, and can't find any that match as close as I'd like, so I'm asking you guys, because it might be one that is more common elsewhere. Check it out.
    Flower clusters:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The leaves vary slightly from plant to plant, and I would wager a guess that they "fuller" looking leaves are correct and the "puny" leaves are due to the recent drought. Sometimes both leaves are on the same plant.

The stem has no mottling, has a slightly hairy sheath at the node, and a leaf always branches off at the "forks" or nodes.:

The root is a taproot with many fibrous roots extending out in all directions. There was no sap in the root, and no particular smell. The only noticable characteristic I found outstanding was the red at the base of the plant. They seem to have no red coloring anywhere else on the plant.

I've spent quite a few hours now, trying to figure this one out, but can't find a good match, so if you recognize this one, I'd appreciate letting me know! TIA!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, yeah. this is in a pine forest in a "boggy" area that is dry this year due to the drought. It grows in the dry land between ponds, and sloughs. Generally likes the same areas as "stump grass" (it grows in a clump and will trip you like a stump). Not a great deal of direct sunlight in there.

Man I think you got the family for sure! I looked around a bit, I'm thinking it to be a cicuta of some sort, but I can't seem to narrow it down past that. Good luck with this one! Later ,bro!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.