Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: what i learned today

We had a large group of Menonites move in just north of us when we lived in Illinois. I don't recall what they purchased but seems like 3,000 acres or so. Somewhere around there. I saw them quite regularly and, other than their dress, saw no difference in them than anyone else. They drove anything and everything and worked the fields with tractors just like regular folks.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What I learned today:

- how light weight my new MBD backfly alcohol stove is
    - freezer bag cooking is really a light weight way to go, and very delicious meals you can make yourself.
    - I hate green tea... did like the lemon green tea though
    - and Sarge is secretly wearing a Ranger Rick survival necklace...
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

I know I have slowed way down as far as driving is concerned ,because there is nothing sicker than topping a hill and coming THAT close to hitting the back of a wagon full of kids

You might as well get a Nalgene bottle if you going to eat all those chemicals from the freezer bag. I do think you're right about Sarge. I think he got one for Christmas.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You might as well get a Nalgene bottle if you going to eat all those chemicals from the freezer bag.
    Ziploc and Naglene has the same FAQ's about chemicals and answered them same way. What I get from what I read that some companies was using a PVC plastic that cause problems when heated. Now Glad freezer bag and Wal-mart Value freezer bags say not to use with hot liquids or microwave. Mainly it may cause leaks.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 01-02-2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Blog Entries

Cool On top of that...

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    Now Glad freezer bag and Wal-mart Value freezer bags say not to use with hot liquids or microwave. Mainly it may cause leaks.
    Now hear this! Zip-Lock now makes a bag called the "Zip-Lock Steam" bag for use in the Micro-wave; at a bit more $ of course!(I'll be trying it out with the boiling water method) Here's the thing, whenever you come up with a $ saving idea you're putting some company at financial risk by finding a cheaper alternative to what they're selling so naturally there's going to be some "bad press" put out to keep people from doing that! You have to decide if you're going to believe it or not!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Now hear this! Zip-Lock now makes a bag called the "Zip-Lock Steam" bag for use in the Micro-wave; at a bit more $ of course!(I'll be trying it out with the boiling water method) Here's the thing, whenever you come up with a $ saving idea you're putting some company at financial risk by finding a cheaper alternative to what they're selling so naturally there's going to be some "bad press" put out to keep people from doing that! You have to decide if you're going to believe it or not!
    I agree! There is alot of "bad press" out there.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 01-02-2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling

it's been a while since i started this thread i like looking back over the last year and see what i posted then and what i have learned since then, its been a year here and a little over a year since i made the transition from camping in the outdoors to primitive skills i look forward to learning more and watching others grow here.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I learned that I need to get a new chainsaw. My little Poulan 16" is fine for smaller projects, but I think it's time to move on up. Looking at a Stihl 390.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'd recommend any Stihl or Husqvarna or Jonsered. Those Scandinavian folks seem to know a thing or two about power saws. (I think they all come from either Sweden or Denmark)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Settled on the Stihl MS290 with 20" bar. My back sure wishes I wouldn't have waited so long.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You made a good choice,any one of those Trax mentioned would do very well,don't ask me how I know...
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    You made a good choice,any one of those Trax mentioned would do very well,don't ask me how I know...
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just wait till they stop runnin' before you tackle 'em. They put up a pretty mean fight!

i learned that i don't like it when the mrs goes out of town for a week between feeding in the morning being gone 13 hours for work then feeding at night, man can hardly wait till the slave err mean the wife gets home
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Careful there WE - remember, she sometimes reads over your shoulder.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

unfortunately, my weather forecasting abilities (just by looking up) are limited to:

If it is clear skies overnight (at least in the winter), it is going to get COLDER than if it were completely overcast.

But this thread has given me motivation to study up on observational weather forecasting.
    Last edited by Rick; 07-11-2008 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Can't Advertise in the Body of the Post!

Don't go picking wild blackberries with shorts on,OUCH! Actually,I already knew it,but was walking by a blackberry bush loaded with huge berries saying pick me,pick me,so I grabbed a pail and picked about a gallon,that was about as much as I could take ,as those thorns grab and don't like to let go,but the blackberry pancakes this morning was YUMMY!!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Well I learned this the hard way: don't climb to dead trees Cuz you gonna fall...
    Continue developing