Thread: More wet forming-Leather-holster/ball bag

Default More wet forming-Leather-holster/ball bag

Still experimenting with the wet forming of leather.
    Wanted to make a couple more formed bags for round balls.
    I need to make another mold, and clamping jig, making one half at a time, then glueing the halves together, and sewing them up.

While I was at it I needed a holster for a odd double barreled .410 derringer, my "Snake Charmer".
    This was also wet formed, fitted and riveted together.
    Another half is currently drying now for a second ball bag.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

And, of course I have another little derringer, so need to cut out a pattern for that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Excellent work!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thats some nice work Hunter, I like the little holster looks like a perfect fit for that pistol.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Quote Originally Posted by welderguy View Post
    Thats some nice work Hunter, I like the little holster looks like a perfect fit for that pistol.
    You are correct, it fits perfect.
    They don't make hostlers for this little derringer, so I wet formed it over a form that was the proper barrel height.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Excellent pics Hunter! Doesn't really call for much explanation for those that followed the previous thread. Thanks for sharing this. I really want to try some wet-forming like this. I tried to give you some rep, but ... you know...
    Good stuff. Is the black holster pig-skin dyed black with iron / blood? It has a beautiful texture.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Thanks, I hear ya.
    Right now I down to "bag of leather pieces" from a hobby store, so I not really sure what was used.
    I do know that when you soak it a lot of really dark drown die comes out. LOL.

I need to get my hands on a good piece of cow hide as there are several other projects that I want to do.

Theses were kinda experimental, see what works and what doesn't.

One thing I found out was that the thicker the leather, the corners need a wider radius, as it doesn't bend as well.
    This has to be taken into consideration when making or using forms or molds.

You really do nice work. If you posted that you just bought those I'd have believed you. Real quality work.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Looks good to me. I make my own also, I have "different" spots in the Jeep, ATV, car and on my body, some for the same favorite 45.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

very nice work. i need to put together a holster like that for my stevens.

i like that bag a lot.

black powder kit definitely has it's own charm and style.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Beautiful. I hope to get something half as good when I make my next sheath. At least now I have a good tutorial to follow. Thanks.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Very nice work.

As far a cow hide. If you were to contact some folks in your area who have cows. Maybe when one dies they would let you skin it before it's picked up or buried. Just a thought.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a stockyard at the end of the road I live on. I called today and asked what they did with the "damaged goods" and they wouldn't come out and say that they pile them up way back in the back, even though I've walked back there and seen them before. For some reason they acted like they didn't want me to get hold of the skins or heads. Mad Cow scares?
    I'm gonna have to go straight to the farmer to get cow. If any of you guys know slaughterhouses you might call, you'll probably have better luck. The nearest one to me is about 50 miles away. Guess I'm stuck with deer and small game till I can find a farmer who won't think I'm whacko.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    Guess I'm stuck with deer and small game till I can find a farmer who won't think I'm whacko.
    Good luck with that. Sounds like you are screwed.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Just a Thanks to Hunter63.

Thanks, I tried wet forming for the first time last night for a pocket on a knife sheath, came out better than I could have even thought possible! Thanks Hunter, I'll post some pics later on after my dove hunt. By the way I still am crazy about that derringer! I want one bad!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I just read a little about it and tried a little.For wet molding, vegetable tanned leather is used. cut a piece of leather over the bag. Because of it, a lot of small bubbles are starting to come out. When all the air is out, the skin is ready to be molded. Give her a little drain - hold in your hands. There is a good article here.***************
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-17-2019 at 08:46 AM. Reason: removed link

Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum. I removed the link to your blog, as it violates forum rules. If you'd like to review forum rules, there is a good article here. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ules-amp-Staff
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel