Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disgusting Jobs

Default Disgusting Jobs

With so many losing there jobs and having to settle for less suitable work I was wondering what you would be willing to do for a buck. My most disgusting job was "Sqeezing Herring". Herring sits in tubs until the fish gets soft and the eggs get hard then you sqeeze them to get the roe out. That's the easy part, the hard part is telling the difference between a male and female. What ever comes out of the males when sqeezed is....beyond description. Can any body top that?

Worked on 2 hog farms. Besides the horrible smell, that stays in your clothes forever, I worked in the ferring houses where the babies were born. I casterated hundreds of pigs, scraped lots and lots of poo and afterbirth up. Not to mention what I had to do if a baby pig got stuck in the sow, it envolved a glove that went to my shoulder is all I'm saying.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    Worked on 2 hog farms. Besides the horrible smell, that stays in your clothes forever, I worked in the ferring houses where the babies were born. I casterated hundreds of pigs, scraped lots and lots of poo and afterbirth up. Not to mention what I had to do if a baby pig got stuck in the sow, it envolved a glove that went to my shoulder is all I'm saying.
    I think that's going to be tough to beat!

Catching turkeys to be slaughtered, throw your clothes away after you got done for the evening.
    $.25 cents apiece. 1965 Fall.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

crawling under a house with broken drain lines and the crawl so shallow i had to practically belly crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I think that's going to be tough to beat!
    That was my first job ever and there was no recession. I'm just glad I wasn't the guy who had to catch the boar semen, now that would be worse.
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Blog Entries

I worked at a supermarket in high school and college. Started bagging groceries and shacking carriages in the parking lot. Absolute bottom of the food chain. I got to clean the restrooms!

One day, the store manager comes up to me and says he hates to ask, but he needs me to clean the ladies room right away.

I walked in there and gagged. Some sicko had crapped all over the place and smeared it all over the place. Handprints on the walls, mirrors, stalls, fixtures, door, towel and sanitary napkin dispenser.......... I never thought that one bowel movement could cover so much surface area.

I'll never forget that day. I was being paid less than $4.00/hr. - which was way above minimum wage - back then. To this day, everytime I spend a buck, I remember cleaning someone's sh*t off restroom walls for 15 minutes to earn a dollar.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Most disgusting job was in a hospital laundry! Nothing like empting 100# bags of sugery stuff thats 2 weeks old, maybe more! The OB/GYN stuff was the best, afterbirth, embilical cords, you name it, was all waded up, stuck in a laundy bag and put in a closet!
    One time emping a bag in a washer I heared a clang and it was somebodies hip joint, you know the ball joint, rotten meat and all still attached!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I worked at a supermarket in high school and college. Started bagging groceries and shacking carriages in the parking lot. Absolute bottom of the food chain. I got to clean the restrooms!

One day, the store manager comes up to me and says he hates to ask, but he needs me to clean the ladies room right away.

I walked in there and gagged. Some sicko had crapped all over the place and smeared it all over the place. Handprints on the walls, mirrors, stalls, fixtures, door, towel and sanitary napkin dispenser.......... I never thought that one bowel movement could cover so much surface area.

I'll never forget that day. I was being paid less than $4.00/hr. - which was way above minimum wage - back then. To this day, everytime I spend a buck, I remember cleaning someone's sh*t off restroom walls for 15 minutes to earn a dollar.
    as a plumber i can tell ya that the ladies are harder on a restroom than the men.

These conversations always come back to mice. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    crawling under a house with broken drain lines and the crawl so shallow i had to practically belly crawl.
    I was a plumbers helper for a time and what may not be apparent to everybody is what you are crawling in when then drain line is broken. They never seem to notice it until the smell gets inside the trailer. On jobs like that the highly skilled plumber would hand me the tools!

that's called the rite of passage

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I was a plumbers helper for a time and what may not be apparent to everybody is what you are crawling in when then drain line is broken. They never seem to notice it until the smell gets inside the trailer. On jobs like that the highly skilled plumber would hand me the tools!
    If it was my home and I was a plumber, I'd call another one.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

what gets me is that after performing said service and it is nasty, only then and i mean only then they want to complain about the bill.

I've worked in other peoples homes. Trust me, it does not get nastier than that. I've worked in homes where cock roaches dropped on you from the walls and ceilings, where rats were running under the house and all you could see were eyes staring back at you as you crawled through the crawl space. Lots of eyes. Where food on dishes was moldy in the sink and where you literally had to climb over stuff just to walk through the house. Ask any pest control, plumbing, electrician, HIVAC, appliance repair person. They know.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Drove the "honey wagon" in an underground mine. Health regulations demand that you actually haul the pails back to the surface for disposal, there were a whole lot of mined out stopes (basically great big holes in the ground) down there that were going to be backfilled anyway, so needless to say, health regulations were often overlooked. The smell would leave me nauseous for days. (copious amounts of whiskey when I was off work tended to help)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I've worked in other peoples homes. Trust me, it does not get nastier than that. I've worked in homes where cock roaches dropped on you from the walls and ceilings, where rats were running under the house and all you could see were eyes staring back at you as you crawled through the crawl space. Lots of eyes. Where food on dishes was moldy in the sink and where you literally had to climb over stuff just to walk through the house. Ask any pest control, plumbing, electrician, HIVAC, appliance repair person. They know.
    10-4 on that!
    As an HVAC guy, I'm still Missing a 5/16 nut driver that fell into a layer of dead roaches in the bottom of a furnace, disappeared.
    I left it there, rather than fish it out.

House trailers,crawl spaces in general, really bad, just don't look around, get in, get the job done, and get out, you don't want to know want under there with you.
    Wear coveralls, had some of the disposable sets, because to next job will be installing a thermostat in a living hall way with white carpet.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Treating a home that probably had in excess of 500,000 roaches, 7 rats in various stages of decomp, two cats in various stages of decomp, and one sofa that a human was in an advanced stage of decomp (about the consistency of soup). Yep - that one was less then fun.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Middle Management.

Quote Originally Posted by red lake View Post
    Middle Management.
    We have a WINNER!