Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Congress Approved Health Care Bill

Someone do some quick math. They are going to spend $1.5 trillion, (estimated, and we know what gov't estimates are like.) to insure 10 million people for 6 years or less. How much does that work out to be...per person, per month?
    Last edited by 2dumb2kwit; 03-22-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Ya know what,, This whole thing started out to be like Canada, it has been so watered down it aint worth a squat anyway, You guys complain about the rich having to pay for it, well guess what, If we had universal health care there would be less people claiming disability and welfare because they got sick,, Nothing you do or say will stop this government from taxing everybody for every cent it can. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it !
    You really should tak a look at the legislation. If you think it's about the rich vs poor, you are way off base. When you say "you guys complain ....." Who is saying that? If you think that's what it is about, you truly do not understand it. Taxes on most of it start immediately. Because of your work situation you may say that it won't affect you. Think again. In my first post in this thread I alluded to it, but this bill is a jobs killer! IMO intentionally so to get more people to the single payer system and do away with private insurance.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Someone do some quick math. They are going to spend $1.5 trillion, (estimated, and we know what gov't estimates are like.) to insure 10 million people for 6 years or less. How much does that work out to be...per person, per year?
    Isn't that a little over $2,000 per month, per person, for minimal health insurance?
    With that big a group, I bet you could insure them for less than $500 per person per month. Where is the other $1,500 per person, per month going???
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

If your starting figures are correct, that number seems darn close, 2dumb.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Actually, I believe the reported figures ar about 33,000,000 additional people would be covered. About $600/person/month
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    If your starting figures are correct, that number seems darn close, 2dumb.
    Granted, I did "assume" a couple of things.
    1. Number of people covered.
    The info that I have seen, says that the number of people who don't have health ins. that can't afford it, and aren't eligable for schip, medicare etc., is around 10 million.

2. They are calling it just shy of a trillion dollars, but that includes stealing .5 trillion from medicare. I don't think they will pull that off. I call that 1.5 trillion. (But I expect at least 5 times that.)

3. They really aren't covering anyone for the first 4 or more years, of that 10 year time frame, so I'll call that 6 years.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I have to make a correction here.... It is the progressive held congress not the democrats. the democrat party is now officially dead. There is a reason our founders created a Republic and not a democracy, and this is it!
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Actually, I believe the reported figures ar about 33,000,000 additional people would be covered. About $600/person/month
    That figure is BS, in my book.
    They are claiming way more people than they should, and they are not claiming cost that in the plan, they will steal from other places.

(See post 115.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Default At this stage, I just have to ask...

Now what?
    After it's all said and done, more has been said than can actually be done by any of us.
    I think continuing in this vain is just fanning the flames under the guise of "education". What are people supposed to do with that knowledge anyway?
    In light of everything, does anyone have any advice or is it just about misery loves company, we're all going down?

Banned
    Blog Entries

So just WHAT are you going to do different in your life. There is a lot of stuff to be thinking about. If taxes are going to escalate, do you want to close your 401K today or wait and close it when the taxes are higher. What about Unearned income, or passive income. If you think taxes over-all are going up, do you take Long term Capital gains now or wait till it is taxed as regular income. If you could sell your house and take the one time tax free $500,000.00 profit, or wait till it is repealed. Buy the small farm now or wait till inflation makes it three times as expensive.

You can do something........or do nothing. Some don't have any options, but a lot of you'all do have options. As the large cities go bankrupt and can't sell bonds, and reduce Law Enforcement, do you stay in the big city, or move more rural. For example some of you have money, but need to stay in the city. You could buy a farm, and have another member here caretake, or run the farm for you, (Nell comes to mind), hypothetically.

I have my place for sale and if it sold I would buy (or maybe lease for 15 years) a place in America where there is lots of food and few people, Nebraska or Iowa or Kansas. And buy a houseboat in South-East Alaska.

My point is DO SOMETHING, Take affirmative action.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 03-22-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Now what?
    After it's all said and done, more has been said than can actually be done by any of us.
    I think continuing in this vain is just fanning the flames under the guise of "education". What are people supposed to do with that knowledge anyway?
    In light of everything, does anyone have any advice or is it just about misery loves company, we're all going down?
    I'd say educating people to the details of what this means, and what it will do, will help people be better prepared for the future, and help cause them to hold their representatives accountable.

I think that is very worthwhile.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I'd say educating people to the details of what this means, and what it will do, will help people be better prepared for the future, and help cause them to hold their representatives accountable.

Yes it is...somewhere there is a dumb cowboy that doesn't understand any of this crud! OK so we are going to slap a 10% tax on tanning salons to pay for people who cannot afford health insurance???? What has a tanning salon got to do with health insurance?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Banned

This might seem political but it's just common sense....
    This law and everything about this administration in cahoots with the legislature is financially unsustainable. We will pay for this for 4 years before anything with it other than the tax increases happening. Yet it won't be enough. They have increased spending to be above GDP. You can't do that. Yes it is that simple. They HAVE bankrupted the country.

That's about all people can do if they disagree with how things were done.
    Come to think of it, that's EXACTLY how we got here. What more proof does one need that the system works?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    You really should tak a look at the legislation. If you think it's about the rich vs poor, you are way off base. When you say "you guys complain ....." Who is saying that? If you think that's what it is about, you truly do not understand it. Taxes on most of it start immediately. Because of your work situation you may say that it won't affect you. Think again. In my first post in this thread I alluded to it, but this bill is a jobs killer! IMO intentionally so to get more people to the single payer system and do away with private insurance.
    my comments were tongue in cheek

Companies with more than 50 employees with get hit with a $2000 per employee fee if the government has to provide any portion of the health care. That's a small business by anyone's standards.
    Now I know why the company lawyer was on the phone all day.
    I have nothing to say about this other than some people somewhere voted themselves a free lunch. Now someone else has gotta make it for em and serve it too.

Sourdough makes a good point. I've been considering what to do with the 401k. I don't like the idea of deferred taxes. Or paying into something that has a tendency to lose money (though I didn't get hit too hard with most in interest bearing rather than stocks. Slow I know, but safer). and I do think my long term plans have just accelerated.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    This might seem political but it's just common sense....
    This law and everything about this administration in cahoots with the legislature is financially unsustainable. We will pay for this for 4 years before anything with it other than the tax increases happening. Yet it won't be enough. They have increased spending to be above GDP. You can't do that. Yes it is that simple. They HAVE bankrupted the country.
    I may be simple minded, but makes sense to me. Basic arithmetic really.

What do you mean, "what to do with the 401K"? I hope you aren't considering cashing it in. That's not only taxable income but also penalized at 10% for early withdrawal. You'll never make your money back if you do that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What do you mean, "what to do with the 401K"? I hope you aren't considering cashing it in. That's not only taxable income but also penalized at 10% for early withdrawal. You'll never make your money back if you do that.

No penalty if your over 59, also you assume it will be escalating in a period of inflation, also if taxes go up 40% maybe you might wish you had extracted it sooner than later. I am not saying do it, I am saying plan, plan, think. If you think taxes are going DOWN over the next 20 years, you should wait. Like that will happen.

I'm not real political. Dem vs Rep, Con vs Lib, whatever...we are all going to the same goal. Question is do you want to be pushed or pulled.

That said, we do need changes in the health care system. A lot of good folks die, that can't afford to live. Health care should never be withdrew or terminated based on the ability to pay, to an extent.

But then I'm an oddball and believe that its every humans right to choose how they die and when they die.

A 2 tiered system has its advantages.

Just my .02

-Boker
    Ken has helped me out so much with legal stuff, I need to keep track of it so I can pay him back. I will be placing a 'score card' in my sig as a reminder.

DEBT:

Repaid: