Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which backpack?

I don't like a vest only because I've never found one that doesn't interfere with my pack. Once you get loaded up you only have a couple of places on a vest that wind up being functional.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thumbs up

I use a medium alice pack without the frame a.k.a. kidneybeater
    I like the pack, it has plenty of room for whatever the situation calls for & is very durable . I don't think that you can beat them for the $$$ & size of these packs.
    It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze !

Question Alice?

OK, guys. How does the Alice system work with a loaded pistol belt? You know with ammo pouches, butt pack, canteens, etc. Does the loaded belt get in the way of the belt for the Alice pack?
    Oudoceus

Little no, big yes. The combat pack and the long range pack are designed for two different functions and they work a bit differently. The combat pack has suspenders to lift the weight of the belt onto the shoulders to distribute it more across the upper torso. The large pack has a kidney belt designed to distribute the weight of the pack to the hips and off the shoulders like any other large pack. If you have a loaded combat pack then the gear, mostly the butt pack, will interfere with the kidney pad on the large pack. You might be able to get away with the smaller Alice pack without the frame. I've never tried it. But, you also have two sets of suspenders clamped over your shoulders. Mighty uncomfortable.

I guess the bigger question is why would you want to do that? That's a LOT of gear. The large Alice pack can tote 50-60 pounds. The combat pack with two canteens can run into the 20 pound range depending on what you have in the butt pack along with your weapon, knife, etc. Remember, water is 8 pounds a gallon. I will use one or the other. I also have a North Face Avarapai day pack that I use most often. If I'm out a while, I'll use the Alice pack but not the combat rig. It's relegated to my BOB for the most part.

I try to carry just enough to be safe and comfy but don't want unnecessary weight to lug around. I don't know what level of experience you have but I'll assume not much just to err on the safe side. Start with anything and everything you think you'll need. You can look through the posts to see what folks carry with them and tailor your pack to that. Then go to the field and decide what you are using and what you aren't (aside from your survival and first aid kits). Then, when you get home remove the items you didn't need and add items you needed but didn't have. It won't take long to get a pack down to something that's right for you. And the more skills you pick up, the lighter your pack will become.

The little no part, well talk to our airborne guys. It's pretty amazing what can be loaded onto the human body. I sometimes wonder if they don't drop the gear and the soldier is just along for the ride.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-14-2007 at 09:02 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Not to show the "green" on my horns, and I'm sure I can google it, but what does BOB stand for? And is ALICE and acronym?

I appreciate all the help!
    A
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

BOB: Bug Out Bag. All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment (ALICE). No horns are green, by the way. Some are just shorter than others.