Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which backpack?

Default which backpack?

I'm looking at getting a new backpack. I have pretty much narrowed it down to two. I just wanted to see what you guys think.
    The Alice is one of them, and the other one is a Molle type. One similar to this http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE126-41519-1964.html
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Go with what you feel good about. Everybody is different and has their preferences. I think the Large Alice will hold more, but the Molle is good too. It's up to you.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

My opinion here. I don't care for Molle. I know some guys that have them and some of the guys still in and they don't seem to like them either.

I like the large Alice Pack with frame. Always have. I'm a bigger guy and the large pack seems to ride well. As well as some of the really expensive commercial packs. I think a frame pack carries easier and I also like the external frame because it allows some air to circulate between your back and the pack and the extra cooling is nice. It's an established design so you can find a lot of accessories that will fit it inside and out. It's also cheap for the size pack you're buying. for less than $100 you're getting about 3800 cubic inches. Something like that in a North Face, Kelty or High Sierra will be about 3X that. I don't have to be too concerned about where I place things (within reason) in the external frame vs. an internal frame design.

It has a mongo monster main compartment and a smaller one, which let's you get to the stuff you access a lot more often. That along with the outside pouches make it pretty easy to get stuff in and out of.

My son has a Dana Designs back pack that is about 7? years old. Before the company was sold. He's used it in UK and in South Africa. It's an internal frame and he really likes it.
    Last edited by Rick; 12-01-2007 at 07:43 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Yeah, what he said!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    My opinion here. I don't care for Molle. I know some guys that have them and some of the guys still in and they don't seem to like them either.

I like the large Alice Pack with frame. Always have. I'm a bigger guy and the large pack seems to ride well. As well as some of the really expensive commercial packs. I think a frame pack carries easier and I also like the external frame because it allows some air to circulate between your back and the pack and the extra cooling is nice. It's an established design so you can find a lot of accessories that will fit it inside and out. It's also cheap for the size pack you're buying. for less than $100 you're getting about 3800 cubic inches. Something like that in a North Face, Kelty or High Sierra will be about 3X that. I don't have to be too concerned about where I place things (within reason) in the external frame vs. an internal frame design.

It has a mongo monster main compartment and a smaller one, which let's you get to the stuff you access a lot more often. That along with the outside pouches make it pretty easy to get stuff in and out of.

My son has a Dana Designs back pack that is about 7? years old. Before the company was sold. He's used it in UK and in South Africa. It's an internal frame and he really like it.
    I also have the Large Alice Pack. I like the additional spots on the exterior that allows you to add things with Alice clips.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Seems like an OK pack,some mixed reviews with durabilityissues I reckon it depends on what you are going to use it for. I'd hate to be in a real SHTF situation and have my pack fail,but if you are properly prepared you could mend it. I tend to stick to the real Mil sup gear as it has been tested to hell and back. I have an old WW2 ruck stamped 1942 that is still going strong only replaced a few leather straps that had dry roted and has never failed me on some pretty long packing trips.It is kind of heavy and no bells and whistels but for 10 bucks at a yard sale what can you ask for.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Man! I forgot all about those old rucks. They were the best. My day pack is a North Face and I like it a lot but I loved those old WW2 rucks! Thanks, beerrunner, now I'll have to start looking around for one of those.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I will probably end up with the Alice. The duribility does concern me with the other one, and I dont want to pay the price on a camelbak that is of the same design.

Do any of you guys use or recomend the rest of the Alice system. Belt/suspenders to clip stuff onto.

I'm, 2 for 2 tonight first your welcome Rick they are great, second the Alice rigis what I use for my BOB I'll try and get a pic up soon if memory serves me right Dill uses one too , I can get by for a few days with it no problem,but they are light and last forever down here I don't have to carry anything to keep warm and they are much cooler then a pack,I even switch it up for when I go hunting and don't want to carry a pack.
    Any goverment big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have...T Jefferson

Blog Entries

Add an arsepack to the 782 gear and you're set, well if right below your pack you put your poncho and liner, then you're set.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Add an arsepack to the 782 gear and you're set, well if right below your pack you put your poncho and liner, then you're set.
    That's one of my "kits" using the M-16 ammo pouches and the "butt-pack" to hole all the gear. I also have a military canteen with a cup to add to the belt. The cup provides a better "pot" to boil water, cook in, what have you.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    I'm looking at getting a new backpack. I have pretty much narrowed it down to two. I just wanted to see what you guys think.
    The Alice is one of them, and the other one is a Molle type. One similar to this http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE126-41519-1964.html
    I have seen those Molle packs in the Army surplus store that I frequent. I like those.. they are very versatile and well thought out in design, I like the idea of attaching additional containers and they have an interior framework. comfy. If it wasn't for the expensive price at the time.. I would have bought one myself.
    Last edited by woodwose; 12-01-2007 at 10:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Goodgle ALICE pack and you will get more info than you can imagine. Time frames, when they were intorduced, when they were replaced.

Blog Entries

Question North Face, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Man! I forgot all about those old rucks. They were the best. My day pack is a North Face and I like it a lot but I loved those old WW2 rucks! Thanks, beerrunner, now I'll have to start looking around for one of those.
    Look at this and tell me what you think. It's an internal frame Day-Pack that "Backpacker Magazine" picked as "The Best". Scroll down and you'll also see it comes in a "panel load."

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...feat=1098-sub2
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Goodgle ALICE pack and you will get more info than you can imagine. Time frames, when they were intorduced, when they were replaced.
    Thanks... I did this morning and believe it or not, I discovered that I have an a.l.i.c.e. pack without the frame. I didn't know it as an alice pack though. Learn something everyday here on WSF.. I'll now have to go down to the surplus store and get the frame... or hint for Xmas..

Look at this and tell me what you think. It's an internal frame Day-Pack that "Backpacker Magazine" picked as "The Best". Scroll down and you'll also see it comes in a "panel load."
    I'm sure that pack would be fine, but I really want to stick to military type gear. I think the external frame on thea alice is what attracts me the most.

Blog Entries

Red face oops.

I'm sure that pack would be fine, but I really want to stick to military type gear. I think the external frame on thea alice is what attracts me the most.
    Sorry Rifleman, that post was meant for Rick.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Sarge, I think the Bigelow name is an L.L.Bean brand name. I don't know who makes it for them. It looks fine based on the description. It's a little larger than mine. Mine is the North Face Yavapai at 1850 cubic inches. The Bigelow in the large is 2160. The price isn't bad. If you like it, try it. If it doesn't fit you well or you not satisfied with it, you can always send it back.

Rifleman, I do have that rig with the butt pack and two canteens. I seldom use it but it is in my BOB bag.

Default Alice system is great

I own a alice harness, belt, canteen pouch, butpack, ammo pouch(which i use to store tinder), military tri-fold spade, and i attached my knife to top it off... that is all i have but it seems to work as long as i dont have to bring a bunch of coldgear.
    Otherwise i need to get a BOB, My alice system is good for me when i am only out for a day or two otherwise it doesnt hold enough so i wear cargo pants.

Hope this helps others costomize their personal load bearing supplies

Dom Borelli

I have tried on some different load bearing vests and they all seemed to just get in the way without anything even attached to them.

I havent tried any of the molle load bearing vests, I know there are a bunch of them. The ones I have seen look cumbersome.

So I'm leaning heavily toward a full alice system. What do you think is the best way to work a pistol holster into the system?

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

I have tried on some different load bearing vests and they all seemed to just get in the way without anything even attached to them.

I havent tried any of the molle load bearing vests, I know there are a bunch of them. The ones I have seen look cumbersome.

So I'm leaning heavily toward a full alice system. What do you think is the best way to work a pistol holster into the system?
    Various outlets carry holsters for the ALICE system. Check out Major's Surplus & Survival (http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/) and US Calvery: (www.uscav.com) just to name a couple off the top of my head.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin