Thread: "Rubber Bands in your Survival Fishing Kit"?

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Default "Rubber Bands in your Survival Fishing Kit"?

I found this blog entry on wilderness-survival-skills.com. It has several typo's and misspellings, but the general idea was interesting. I want to throw it out to you guys and see what you think.

It seems like it might work. The rubber bands would give you some "flex" like a pole would. But wouldn't it be easier to just cut a pole? I think I may smell a hint of "numpty" here. Anyway, check it out.

Rubber Bands in your Survival Fishing Kit
    by Mike knight
    (Fleahop, Alabama, USA)

I always carry a few rubber bands in my Survival Kit and have found them very useful when fishing. I tie my fishing line (usually use 6 lb test line...works best in clear water) to a couple rubber bands.

I put the rubber bands over my fingers, make a fist, and then toss out the baited line. The rubber bands act much like the drag on a reel. When a fish pulls against the line the rubber bands stretch and alloy the line to give slack without breaking.

Have caught up to a 2 1/2 pound catfish with this method. I like this method because it allows me more control. Have also used rubber bands for limb lines and set lines from the back.

Get it a try..let know what you think!
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Blog Entries

Never heard of that. I'll play with the idea on my first fresh water trip this year. My luck, the things will snap when I've got a record fish on the other end of the line.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Never heard of that. I'll play with the idea on my first fresh water trip this year. My luck, the things will snap when I've got a record fish on the other end of the line.
    LOL, I was just thinking the same thing............or stretch it out far enough to just, "snap it" to shore, kinda like lazy man's fishing.

Intresting, wonder if inner tube bands would work, don't stretch much, but do work good to hold down gear. Double duty?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I store mine in a ziploc and they last.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd just chop me a little sapling and be on my merry way to the fishing hole.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I have used rubber bands for trolling because they will break away. Down riggers hold line to a controled depth and line is attached using a sping loaded clip that pulls off and the flex of pole is enough to set hook. The whole set up costs a couple hundred dollars or you can just tie off a 42 ounce canon ball sinker and use a rubber band to attach line which breaks when the fish strikes. I also use them to hold the tip on harpoon which again snaps after tip is set and harpoon removed. I use rubber bands for all kinds of things fishing just not the way mentioned in OP and not in my survival fishing kit either.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 03-26-2010 at 03:04 AM.