Thread: Can We Agree On Some Definitions?

Blog Entries

Question Can We Agree On Some Definitions?

Whenever we get into a discussion about survival if the SHTF, the term "wild edibles" invariably comes up. Based upon the context in which it's used in the various posts, and depending upon the member posting, I have interpreted "wild edibles" to mean different things to different members. So, can we agree on some definitions here? How about...........

Wild Edibles: Any item that may be consumed as food that has not been cultivated, raised, or produced by humans.

Wild Plants: Non-cultivated consumable food items derived from trees, plants, fungi (mushrooms and morels) or vegetable matter of any type.

Wild Medicinals: Any component part and/or substance derived from trees, plants, fungi (mushrooms and morels) or vegetable matter of any type, consumed or used primarily for medicinal purposes rather than food value.

Wild Game: Non-domestic animals, including mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians, harvested by hunting, trapping, or other means.

Fish: Fin fish, shellfish, and crustaceans harvested from either fresh water or salt water sources.

Marine Mammals: Mammals that primarily habitate the ocean.

Last Resort Foods: Insects,worms,mollusks (snails, slugs) etc.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree. Sticky material!!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I like it, good definitions.
    Sticky material as well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

OK,, "STICK IT"!!!

The post of course
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

But mollusks are delicious! Ever had calamari? Mmmm...
    "Tread lightly and carry a big stick."-Ben Franklin

What's the difference between wild edibles and wild plants? I think the definitions are the same just worded differently. (?)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What's the difference between wild edibles and wild plants? I think the definitions are the same just worded differently. (?)
    If you can eat it, it's a wild edible - that includes game and basically everything in that list, except for medicinals.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

If there is one thing I learned in my 8 years of public education is I can forget things faster than anybody can teach it. I'm also convinced I am not the only idiot here so good luck with that. I'm still working on "what survival means".

Sounds like a good idea Ken. If I can remember the definitions...LOL

IMO... Your last resort group, well bud, you should never turn your nose up at such things in a real survival situation! So if your serious about suvival, you should give em' a try now! There not at all bad cooked! Well roasted or fried anyway.
    Boiled insects and worm are pretty gross!

Oh and I have a bad habit of calling anything not humanly cutivated a weed. When I say I ate weeds for years, I'm including things like wild grape, cattails ,whatever.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Oooooh. Okay. That didn't come across to me. I wasn't thinking animal. Could be mineral, too (salt for example).

Maybe...Any item (animal, vegetable or mineral) that may be consumed as food...

I'm not trying to be picky but I didn't understand it was beyond plant. I'm kinda like AS, I guess. Idyut works for me, 2.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Sounds like a good idea Ken. If I can remember the definitions...LOL

IMO... Your last resort group, well bud, you should never turn your nose up at such things in a real survival situation! So if your serious about suvival, you should give em' a try now! There not at all bad cooked! Well roasted or fried anyway.
    Boiled insects and worm are pretty gross!

Oh and I have a bad habit of calling anything not humanly cutivated a weed. When I say I ate weeds for years, I'm including things like wild grape, cattails ,whatever.
    Ted, I can make a mighty fine matzo-like cracker with cattails. I've eaten my share of snails and slugs as well. When I first posted here, I mentioned eating slugs. I think that Rick threw up when he read it.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Idyut works for me, 2.
    Finally! Somebody that knows how to speak American.

Blog Entries

Oooooh. Okay. That didn't come across to me. I wasn't thinking animal. Could be mineral, too (salt for example).

Maybe...Any item (animal, vegetable or mineral) that may be consumed as food...

I'm not trying to be picky but I didn't understand it was beyond plant. I'm kinda like AS, I guess. Idyut works for me, 2.
    Okay, let me tweak up those definitions a bit:

Wild Edibles: Any item (animal, plant, or mineral) that may be consumed as food or as a dietary supplement that has not been cultivated, raised, bred, or produced by humans.

Wild Plants: Non-cultivated consumable food items derived from trees, plants, fungi (mushrooms and morels) or vegetable matter of any type.

Wild Game: Non-domestic animals, including mammals, marine mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians, harvested by hunting, trapping, or other means.

Fish: Fin fish, shellfish, mollusks, and crustaceans harvested from either fresh water or salt water sources.

Last Resort Foods: Insects, worms, land mollusks (snails, slugs) etc.

Wild Medicinals: Any component part and/or substance derived from trees, plants, fungi (mushrooms and morels) or vegetable matter of any type, consumed or used primarily for medicinal purposes rather than food value.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

I just threw up again. Stop it!

Yeah, yeah. I'm okay with that. My brain was thinking plants and I suspect some others would, too. Or not.

Banned

Then You've got your Incredible Edible Eggs

Too many rules.

To me - wild edibles is plants, shrooms is shrooms, critters is critters.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel