Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aloe Vera

Default Aloe Vera

We transplanted some Aloe plants today. They weren't doing so well in the area we had them. For those of you that live in climates where planting them outside is not an option, they do well indoors in pots. Quite a few medicinal uses for it. I harvested some of the "pulp" to be used later.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have one of those plants around to treat burns but just cut when I need it. What else is it used for and how do you store it and use it later?

Me too great to have around...see my knife and gun pics.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I normally just cut off a small piece as I need it. Two of the leaves were damaged while transplanting. I've used it for burns (including sunburn) and for dry skin. I do want to explore some of the other uses for it. I put it in a small bottle and tucked it away in the fridge to use later.

Here's a bit more information -

The Aloe Vera Plant
    Although there are many Aloe's the term Aloe Vera (�true Aloe�) refers to the Aloe Barbadensis Miller. Fully grown the plant stands 60 to 90 cm high, and a mature leaf is 7 to 10 cm across at the base, weighing 1.5 to 2 kg.
    The lower leaf of the plant is used for medicinal purpose. If the lower leaf is sliced open, the gel obtained can be applied on the affected area of the skin. Leaves and seeds are the two edible parts of Aloe Vera.
    The Aloe leaf structure is made up of four layers:
    Rind - the outer protective layer;
    Sap - a layer of bitter fluid which helps protect the plant from animals;
    Mucilage Gel - the inner part of the leaf that is filleted out to make Aloe Vera gel.
    Aloe Vera (inner gel) contains the 8 essential Amino Acids that the human body needs but cannot manufacture.
    Aloe Vera has a bitter taste which can be unpleasant in the raw state. It is possible to get used to the taste of plain Aloe Vera gel, but if you can't the addition of some fruit juice helps to make it more palatable.
    There is much confusion between Aloe Vera Gel and Aloe Vera Juice with the two often being thought synonymous. The term Gel refers to the inner leaf only, whereas Juice refers to �Aloe Latex� a bitter substance found just under the skin of the leaf.
    Leading authorities on Aloe Vera maintain that only Aloe Vera gel as fresh as preservation allows from the inner leaf has any remarkable properties.
    Source: http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...loe-vera.shtml
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I have one of those plants around to treat burns but just cut when I need it. What else is it used for and how do you store it and use it later?

http://www.herbco.com/p-1290-aloe-powder.aspx
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

I use aloe for treating sunburn, it works great at that. It is also great for treating regular burns. Have not tried it on poison ivy. The active ingredient in poison ivy, an oil, will still be there irritating your skin, so not sure aloe will help much with that.

I also use it for any "mystery dermatitis". I.e. any rash of unknown origin. Also good for razor burn, dry skin (like heels).

Banned

It Stinks doesn't it ? my friend has a big plant and it smells like B/O? but I think his dogs pee on it,, maybe thats why,, ???

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    It Stinks doesn't it ? my friend has a big plant and it smells like B/O? but I think his dogs pee on it,, maybe thats why,, ???
    Must be his dogs. It has no/very little smell at all.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash, how did you harvest it for storage? I have a huge plant in the yard and was thinking to do the same thing. We use it for burns and dry skins, but I was thinking of storing it to try for other uses. I remember another post where people were talking about using juice.

For now I was just wanting to learn how to harvest.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by smhg View Post
    Crash, how did you harvest it for storage? I have a huge plant in the yard and was thinking to do the same thing. We use it for burns and dry skins, but I was thinking of storing it to try for other uses. I remember another post where people were talking about using juice.

For now I was just wanting to learn how to harvest.

Thanks!
    I just tried it with a few pieces in a plastic bottle. I kept it in the fridge for a couple of weeks. It was mostly liquid after that period of time. I know I should have taken one for the team and burned myself to check on the effectiveness, but did not. So - not really sure if it is still good to treat burns after storing - but there was no odor or apparent spoilage.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe it's time to fire up the forge blindfolded?
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

I've heard through the grapevine and for all I know this could be false, I'll do some research when I have time. But I'veh eard there is a way to render Aloe to be edible? Anybody have a word on this? Just wanted to ask.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loreseed View Post
    I've heard through the grapevine and for all I know this could be false, I'll do some research when I have time. But I'veh eard there is a way to render Aloe to be edible? Anybody have a word on this? Just wanted to ask.
    see post 4..

I don't see what you are referring to. I am curious of the process if there is one. Confused >.<!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loreseed View Post
    I don't see what you are referring to. I am curious of the process if there is one. Confused >.<!
    Take a look here http://www.aloe-vera-and-handy-herbs...aloe-vera.html

I have to say, thats a very big plant compared to what i grew in pots. O.o
    Stealth And Skill Can Kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I've read that if it stinks, it's being over-irrigated (perhaps in his case, over peed on!). It causes it to rot, below the soil line.

I tried to harvest some last year, and it smelled like DEATH. So I Googled it.

I like aloe... Did you know,
    you can make toothpaste with it? Huh...
    or maybe that was the recipe with ash. Natural toothpaste... Old book I have, with oldtyme herbal recipes in it...good book.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can we get a name on that book? I'm interested in things like this.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Never harvested it myself, my huge aloe died this winter from the freeze, but I do keep a bottle of store bought aloe in the fridge for sunburns in the summer. Helps greatly with healing sunburns, and keeping it in the fridge (mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle) makes it better than anything for relief of the self inflicted pain of a sunburn or small burns,