Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather work, wet forming

nice looking holsters gents.

I use contractor's paper by the roll at Lowes to make holster patterns then when i get what i want i transfer it to leather.
    When i learn how to post photos I will do so.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

All you ever wanted to know about posting pics....

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1318
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Firesteel Belt Pouch

Firesteel belt pouch. Wet formed from scrap parts of an old Khukri frog (you know the one).
    20 min construction time + drying time. Just sized, cut, wet, clamped, and stitched with upholstery thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I strive to be a rock to those around me
    and seek the preservation of those I love.

The Lord is my shepherd and I, his sheep dog.

Somebody is going to get a giggle out of this, but I wet formed a holster for my airsoft gun out of boredom!

20130324_222316.jpg

Looks good Farley.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Farley, how fast can you pull it out? It looks like the front sight post would get in the way.
    That gives me an interesting idea. If you found a plastic gun that matched your real handgun in size, then you could use the plastic one as a cheap block to wet form with.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Farley, how fast can you pull it out? It looks like the front sight post would get in the way.
    That gives me an interesting idea. If you found a plastic gun that matched your real handgun in size, then you could use the plastic one as a cheap block to wet form with.
    A light oiling of the metal parts and Saran wrap work well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just a curious question from one who does not know about leatherwork. Could you wrap the, gun/object ect in the saran wrap and then after placing the leather, pull a vacuum to form fit and leave it under vacuum until dried? I would think that would capture the exact shape and detail really well.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

I've never used a vacuum table, so not sure if it would work on leather. Spoons, bones and fingers are typically used to form the little nooks and crannies. I'm working on making a set from some antler pieces.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Gotcha. I was wondering more along the lines of bagging it like I've done with composite laminates.

Apparently you can, but I think tools might give more detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c0_klxpHrg
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Would make an intresting trial project.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks for the video Crash, that was just what I had in mind. Makes me wish I still had my tools and equipment, I think I could do better than that?

And you're right Hunter it would make for a good project! I love fooling around with stuff like that! I used to have quite a bit of stuff to vacuum form carbon fiber, kevlar, fiberglass laminates. You can do some pretty neat stuff by vacuum forming.

I know, I just wander around thinking about things like this!

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    It does snag a bit but in all reality, I dont actually use it. It was just for a project and I had a bunch of belly scrap kicking around. The main issue I have is that when the holster is on, it tends to close up when the gun is out due to the waist curving.

Crash: Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farley View Post
    It does snag a bit but in all reality, I dont actually use it. It was just for a project and I had a bunch of belly scrap kicking around. The main issue I have is that when the holster is on, it tends to close up when the gun is out due to the waist curving.

Crash: Thanks
    Funny how that works.....seems the guys that make and sell holsters have had and solved problems like this....
    Nice looking project, you learn by trying.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Farley, if you stitch or glue a strip of 8-9 oz. leather on the top out side it will stay open for re-holstering. It's all about experimenting. I have about a dozen scrap holsters that I didn't like, but they get better and better. I even think mine are looking and working like they should.
    Vacuum sealers(food saver or the like) work great for wet forming. I found that I don;t need to soak the leather, just dampen it.

nice work. i'm a leather worker and i can add just a bit of knowledge to you on this. add a small piece of leather at the top of the holster from the top edge down to about the bottom button, this will add more strength to the holster , also allowing to keep its shape longer then normal. sew it just like you did the other seems, bevel edges for a smoother and less wear and tear on them. very nice.
    i cannot teach you anything, but only help you explore inner self, you have everything already you just need to realize it. - BRUCE LEE

To the question about vacuum bagging, it does work, but you need to keep work it while it sits for awhile. I had a knife sheath that I liked, but the knife would sometimes fall out of it, so I soaked the sheath for about 30 minutes, oiled up the knife, wrapped it up in plastic wrap, stuck it in th sheath and vac'd it down with a food saver vacuum packer for several hours. I did rub the sheath through the bag some, but not enough. When I took it out and let it dry all the way the knife stayed better, but not as well as I wanted, so I did the same thing again. This time I rubbed the leather around the shape of the knife about every fifteen minute or so with a stick with a rounded tip (which I used before too) pushing pretty hard as I work it around the entire knife handle and blade. This time it came out just the way I wanted, I could pull the knife out with just a bit of a tug and I could feel the knife sort of "pop" into place when I put it into the sheath. Now I need to do it to another knife and sheath since the other one has gone awol.

I stitch my holsters together, put the pistol in it, saturate the leather with rubbing alcohol and hand mold it to the pistol and then dry it with a hair dryer. Been doing that for years on holsters and knife sheaths. The alcohol evaporates very quickly and doesn't hurt the surfaces of the knife or gun. Oh, I use 90% or stronger rubbing alcohol, then I seal it with a generous coating of Snow Seal and melt it in with the hair dryer too.
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp