Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Knapping Thread - Show your projects, Discuss techniques, Give and receive advice

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    My oldest boy says I'm "emo" whatever that means...
    Modern version of Renaissance Man!

1. Emo 62462 up, 18730 down

Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.
    ::sniff sniff:: "The Demise of the Siberian Traintracks of Our Rusty Forgotten Unblemished Love" sounds like it would make a great emo band name. ::cry::

Tis a man thing,,,,,

Separate post - recently I went to a huge tourist thing... and folks the gal at the Indian museum told me it was obsidian, when clearly it was Chinese beer bottles!
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-18-2011 at 08:16 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Some great examples on this tread, well done peeps!

Wolf

You're dad's obsidian turtle looks likes the first point I tried to make.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

251687_10150638403545697_656605696_18671698_3132200_n.jpg

This is a knap I created. I think I did a pretty good job.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Default Advice

Can someone please give me a few pointers. I'm using glass bottle bottoms. Every time I get it somewhat reduced and shaped into a triangle it snaps in half. I've been able to salvage 2 broken halves and keep trying. The last pic is the first one I completed. The others are the one i'm working on now. I have it somewhat reduced and shaped, but the edges are square. I'm not sure where to drive off flakes from here to flatten the edge. Both are complete trash, I can't get the convex bottom bottle flat. arrow.jpgarrow (2).jpgarrow (3).jpgarrow (4).jpgDSCN0260.jpg

It may be that you are not properly supporting the piece when you are pressure flaking.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And imagine a flat plane running through the middle of the flake. You have to always move your edge toward the "centerline". I find that most times when I snap one, I did not have A) the platform on the correct side of the centerline, or B) the piece properly supported in my hand.
    Convex bottle bottoms are tricky to get back in line. It's good practice but don't get your hopes too high, because both edges will ALWAYS be below the centerline. Try to find thicker, older bottles that weren't so concave/convex. Whether you actually make an arrowhead out of it or not is a negligible notion. The main idea is to get a good hold on the concepts that make knapping work.... I'm always filling up holes in the driveway with failed attempts at an arrowhead.
    Keep at it!!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Thanks I finally got it down to make them symmetrical and pointed without breaking but they're always still concave. Time to move on to obsidian.

I have some small pieces of obsidian that i found and i wanted to try my hand at knapping the largest pieces is 6 inches long but only about a quater inch thick is it possible to do anything with this piece?

Yes, but got a picture?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

the one on the right is the obsidian and the one on the left is jasper.

they are both around a quater inch thick
    Last edited by Rick; 02-19-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Fixed Picture Link

Blog Entries

a quarter inch is good, if you can work it without snapping it in half.
    patience, and practice. attention to your strikes.

I would most likely make driveway filler out of it..

ugg... lol thats what i was afraid of... i know they are thin enough to work with a dremel under water to make pendants out of but not 100 percent sure on how to polish it up afterwards... can you use traditional tools on it or do you have to use small scaled tools since its much smaller that usual subjects

Most pieces that I do are relatively small. My pressure flaker is a piece of copper ground wire stuck in a wooden dowel.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

So what your saying is if I use the pressure flaker I can do it but it'll take awhile... I'm pretty pacient so I don't mind waiting for perfection.. ill try it out and see how it goes. Wouldn't the copper ground be to soft? It seem like it would bend.

Depending on what you want it to be - you are going to have to do some striking to get it to the size and basic shape you want and then pressure flake. My previous response was intended to answer your question regarding tool size.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

The copper ground wire won't bend. Too hard of a metal will fracture the pieces.. it needs a little "give" to it. Not sure about the physics behind it, but copper works better, and it only takes a short piece sticking out, maybe, half an inch exposed. Antlers work well because they are softish..

well i have antler and im sure if i stripped some wire i would find some copper but antler is right on hand lol. ill try it out and see what happens hopefully it doesnt turn into driveway filler

I just started my first ever knapping project today. I'm trying to make an arrowhead from the bottom of a Jarritos bottle I got today at the jambaree. Most I've learned about knapping I learned from this thread though, so I'll be happy to give what input I can once I'm done! Just a couple questions, though: What is pressure flaking? And what is percussion flaking?
    Nature is great, God is greater.

Percussion flaking is when you strike the piece to remove material. I use a piece of elk antler (bottom of picture) or "copper bopper" (piece of wood with weighted copper end) or a rock. Pressure flaking is when you use a tool (antler tine, ishi stick, nail) to push of the material. I use a dowel with a piece of copper wire (toward the right of picture)

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel