Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Knapping Thread - Show your projects, Discuss techniques, Give and receive advice

Blog Entries

Here is a shard of glass I Knapped after learning a few pointers. I am plzed to start grasping what to do but I need to make a new pad like crash suggested to aid in thinning small heads.

The point is 1 1/4 wide @ the base - 2" long total - It is elliptical on all edges but the mid-line is thick as I was unable to thin it properly.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Looking good.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

remember to push toward the center of the stone to remove flakes inward for thinning. Great for a first try. Looks functional to me and that's what really counts. An arrowhead need not be a work of art to obtain a meal... only sharp and balanced enough to fly straight!
    Great job!

Blog Entries

it is the size of a pencil in the middle but elliptical. I am not too plz lol I never am plz with my work is why I continue to try harder lol.

I did not set out to make a head I set out to just pratice stiching and unzipping and the head kinda formed from there. I learned a bit while making it , but i had to get some knives Heat treated so I will do more knapping later.

I contacted the other guy,the one at the college, he said that on heads that are small such as this one I needed to make a pad with a recess in it since I would be unable to get it up off the pad like it needed. Thats the next thing is make another pad. Good thing all this stuff is just lying around

Good tip on pushing in too YCC!

Knapping, woodworking, pottery, doesn't matter. Whatever is inside will show itself as you work. It is what it was meant to be.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Looks to me like it wanted to be a Jim Beam bottle. But, some one caught it while he was knapping.

Much better work than anything I have been able to make BTW!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Looks to me like it wanted to be a Jim Beam bottle. But, some one caught it while he was knapping.

Much better work than anything I have been able to make BTW!
    I recycled a 40 gal leaking fish tank into a pile of silica slivers and one point. lol But i did recycle- Eat that Al Gore LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by Erratus Animus View Post
    I recycled a 40 gal leaking fish tank into a pile of silica slivers and one point. lol But i did recycle- Eat that Al Gore LMAO
    Why not? Looks like he's eaten just about everything else lately.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I knapped another one out tonight and was able to thin it across the width of the point. I did notice that where ever the glass touched the rubber it stopped. I got to make that recessed pad

Not as flat as I would like and only 2 inches long but much thinner. 1/4" thick and tapers to the noes into nothing.

I will post some pics in a few days when I have a bunch made..... never mind here is the pic
    Last edited by Erratus Animus; 08-19-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Blog Entries

amazing! Great job EA!
    are you going to add hafting notches to it? Would love to see that one on a stick!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Blog Entries

that was my second point after learning to flake and my youngest asked to keep them in her display cabinet showing the progession of my skill. I was pleased with it and learned more as working it. It's cool to problem solve the piece as you go. Every piece a new puzzle. I will do another one today and will do a simple hafting tounge,but first I need to make the recessed pad. I will play with notching later in the week.

Thumbs up

hello everyone I am Solutrean74 I live in Utah AND I am a professional flintknapper that is what I do for a living and I love it I have been looking for a place to talk about knapping hopefully I found it. Anybody out there chip using clovis or solutrean technology or over shot flaking techniques if so great or just gen info I hope to make lots of acquittances

Quote Originally Posted by solutrean74 View Post
    hello everyone I am Solutrean74 I live in Utah AND I am a professional flintknapper that is what I do for a living and I love it I have been looking for a place to talk about knapping hopefully I found it. Anybody out there chip using clovis or solutrean technology or over shot flaking techniques if so great or just gen info I hope to make lots of acquittances
    Hi and welcome to the forum. I had to look up soutrean technique, as I had not heard of that before. When I did, it appeared to be the same thing as pressure flaking - is that correct?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Did you mean SOOOOOOOOOLu-Treannnnnnnn! I just thought it was a 70-80's dance craze

Welcome aboard! I look forward to seeing your work and I am certain we will learn something too.

I have not had much time for knapping in both tenses of the word as of late and need to try to make some time.

Plz talk away!
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Blog Entries

Welcome, I also welcome the conversation. I have a lot to learn.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

what's left of waveland mississippi after Katrina

Hay folks...been reading again and ran across this...

http://nehawkaprimitiveskills.blogspot.com/

might be interesting to some of you...i use lots of arrowheads making my own arrows as well as using them for closures on leather pouches i make,,,,but i cheat...i buy them..arther won't let me knap...

hope this helps someone...if it has been posted before...i apologize...

God Bless

Lee
    shoot low boys, they're ridin' shetland ponies

Blog Entries

Pretty interesting. thanks for sharing that!

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

Any recommendations on how-to books and/or videos on knapping? I want to make my own obsidian knife blade.
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Blog Entries

Most of the stuff I have is just basic "how to" and doesn't really get into knife-making as that takes a little more practice than just basic flaking. Not sure how to attach a PDF to the forums either.. gotta figure that out.
    Honestly, the best way, is to be shown by someone who already knows, even if it's just a few minutes. Do you understand the basics of knapping (spalling, percussion, and flaking)?

I got a free PDF from here : http://www.arrowhead-maker.com/
    that really only covers basic stuff.. Not sure quite how advanced you are AS, but I get the impression you are above the level of this article.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    Most of the stuff I have is just basic "how to" and doesn't really get into knife-making as that takes a little more practice than just basic flaking. Not sure how to attach a PDF to the forums either.. gotta figure that out.
    Honestly, the best way, is to be shown by someone who already knows, even if it's just a few minutes. Do you understand the basics of knapping (spalling, percussion, and flaking)?

I got a free PDF from here : http://www.arrowhead-maker.com/
    that really only covers basic stuff.. Not sure quite how advanced you are AS, but I get the impression you are above the level of this article.
    Thanks for the link, that's a good start for me.
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.