Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mosin Nagant 91/30

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I kinda look at them as a Bic 30-06, lots of bang for your buck.................
    'Zactly....with cheap refills! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

ok i'm a fan too. i use USGI corrosive bore cleaner for cleaning. some how i ended up with a few gallons of the stuff. the corrosive cleaner needs to be scrubbed out to, i usually use hoppes. the berdan primed stuff can be reloaded but the challenge is to get the primers. i don't know if old western scrounger has berdan primers or not. i have a berdan primer decapper, it's a wicked looking affair that hooks around the rim and then a small spike is used to dig out the primer. i can post a picture if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    ok i'm a fan too. i use USGI corrosive bore cleaner for cleaning. some how i ended up with a few gallons of the stuff. the corrosive cleaner needs to be scrubbed out to, i usually use hoppes. the berdan primed stuff can be reloaded but the challenge is to get the primers. i don't know if old western scrounger has berdan primers or not. i have a berdan primer decapper, it's a wicked looking affair that hooks around the rim and then a small spike is used to dig out the primer. i can post a picture if interested.
    Hello, I'm randyt, and I have a problem.............
    I hear ya,
    Yeah, a pic of the deprimer would be cool, can't say if I ever have seen one.

I don't think I will be re-loading any surplus ammo any time soon, baut I have been saving the brass cases, not the steel.

I did buy a Lee loader for the 7.62X54r, should have just bought the dies and got it over with............oh well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

One of the links on the site 2D posted said Hopps #9 was fine for cleaning the bore because it's made for corrosive powder. That's about all I've ever used to clean my guns.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

here's the pict of the de-capper for berdan primers. the cartridge is a 44 bb for size comparisons. the hook part is hooked over the rim and then it is cranked down and the primer is dug out. i'm think rcbs sells a de-capper like this one.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Thanks, Randyt, I never seen one of those, pretty cool. I sure if there is a way to do it someone already has figured it out.
    That's part of the fun, the quest for knowlage.

Most re-loading manuals call for a .308 bullet, but need to "slug the bore" if you get into serious re-loading.

Slugged mine and it's inconclusive at .308 to .311.
    So far I'm shooting the original surplus ammo, with no plans to re-load at this point.
    Having the ability is a good thing, though.
    I mostly try for Min. of paper plate, @ 100yds on these old war horses, so I don't think bullet dia would be a big deal, in most appaclations.

AS, Norma is pretty pricey, but top of the line, and lets face it, one shot, one kill should last a couple of years.
    I do have some made by Remington that are soft points, and some by Sellier & Bellot soft point.
    Norma is also a good source for brass, but again pretty pricey.

Bulk prices are still reasonable: One source
    http://www.cabelas.com/p-00659452168...roduct-reviews

These appear to be brass cased, re-loadable.

I don't really plan on hunting with mine, other options available, but if you were, there is ammo out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I slug both ends then full lenght to get wear measure before I ever put any serious work into an accurate rifle.
    I guess you could, I just don't spend the time and effort on these rifles.
    They are just for fun. Lots of smoke and fire, especially out of the carbines.

I use the big city boy sight-in method.
    Buy one, buy some shells, take it out, pace off a good distance, and wail away at a 5 gal bucket, if I hit it more often then not, then it's good.
    Don't use stop signs though..........

Serious work is spent on the hunting rifles, in the quest for the magic load.

I'm so ticked at Gander Mountain. I called the local store Wednesday and they said a truck would be in today. I called back today and asked about the 91/30. Yeah, they got one. One? How many did you order? They only get what HQ sends them. But I want 2 of them. Can't help me. You can't order the blasted things on line you can only buy them at the store but none of the stores have any idea how many they are getting until they arrive. I'm waiting on the local store to call me back because their @#$# computers were down and they couldn't enter the rifle into their system so they could sell it to me. THEN, I have to start calling the other stores to find another one.

Now is that any way to run an airline?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Finally! I finally picked up a 91/30 from the local store around noon today. They finally got their system back on line this morning and had the rifle waiting on me when I called. I've spent the bulk of the afternoon cleaning cosmoline. I'm certainly a long way from an expert but I am pleasantly surprised with the overall quality. Not only does the bore look really good (clean with no pitting) but the furniture looks good, too, as do the accessories. I've ordered some ammo so I can play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    I'm certainly a long way from an expert
    Uh, are you being facetious?

Thank you. I had the bolt out but didn't tear it down. I appreciate the information.

Woo Hoo! Hey Ken - Rick has a new squirrel gun. (OK it may be a wee bit on the over kill side for squirrels)
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thank you. I had the bolt out but didn't tear it down. I appreciate the information.
    Congrats, you are now bitten, very contagious.

Your going to want to, mine was full of cosmoline around the firing pin.
    AS is correct, you can do it with out tools.
    As you pull out the bolt, it cocked.
    Need to pull back the hammer (round thing) and de-cock it, the front part of the bolt will come apart with a 1/4 turn twist, then unscrew the rod using the slide as a wrench.
    When putting back together, make sure the -0- marks on the hammer pull lines up with the pin.
    Good reference vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8427QopLs

Safety is kinda tricky, when loaded and cocked, pull the hammer pull back and turn to the left and hook it on the side.

Thanks, Hunter. That was a great video. I'm going to pull it and check to see if it has cosmo in it, too. On the second rifle, yeah, I was on the phone this afternoon with Gander Mtn. They are looking for a second one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks, Hunter. That was a great video. I'm going to pull it and check to see if it has cosmo in it, too. On the second rifle, yeah, I was on the phone this afternoon with Gander Mtn. They are looking for a second one for me.
    I hear ya, poor little things get lonely, they have always been with others for, oh, 60 plus years or so.
    Have fun.

there are lots a flavours when it comes to mosins. i had a westinghouse that was converted to 30 06, i presume by bannerman. any ways i decided to convert it back to 762 Russian being the action is marginal for ought six. so i lucked out and found a westinghouse barrel at numrich arms and bought it and forgot all about it. then i ended trading off the rifle and a few years later i found the barrel. i felt like such a bone head.

in my junk there is a mosin with a 06 springfield barrel fitted up to it. in the process of fitting up the chamber is way short, the intention was to chamber it to 30-30. this was something my dad started and didn't ever finish. i've been thinking about finishing it up for funnsies. just need to find the time.

Well, thanks again guys. The bolt was pretty clean with very little cosmo inside but the metal is bright and shiny. By the way, no one mentioned pinch points. I'm sure that was an oversight. So let me mention it. OW! SHOOT!

Here's a great vid on adjusting the firing pin. It sure helped me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aUoLZ1OweM

According to the markings, mine is an Izhevsk (Soviet Union) 1938.

That's half the fun, seeing and holding history in your hands, knowing it's still very useable.
    How many other things do you have made in 1938 that still work? And cost $100 bucks?

Now when ever your watching the History Chanel and the are WWI, or WWII battles going on, you will be picking out the different firearms, wondering if it's the one in your case.

What ever you do, stay away from muzzle-loaders..........Thats a whole 'nother world!

I actually did that very thing last night. I was watching the military channel and they had a Russian soldier from early in WWII. He was holding a 91/30. I thought, "Hey! I bet that's my rifle!" LOL. The odds are pretty good. 1 in 9 million. That's better than the lottery or that the health care plan will work.