Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mosin Nagant 91/30

Default Mosin Nagant 91/30

FYI
    Gander Mountain has a sale on right now on the Nagants 91/30's. $99.95
    Been watching them and were at $149.95 at Christmas, lately $129.95, now on sale.
    This is about the lowest I seen in a couple of years.
    So, of course I had to bring one home, darn things are addicting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    FYI
    Gander Mountain has a sale on right now on the Nagants 91/30's. $99.95
    Been watching them and were at $149.95 at Christmas, lately $129.95, now on sale.
    This is about the lowest I seen in a couple of years.
    So, of course I had to bring one home, darn things are addicting.
    Yeah, you need to get one from each maker....then one from each year...round receiver, hex receiver...then ones with multiple year stamps...oh, and then you can get into the ones that have been "Finned".

Don't forget, about the "sniper" versions. They open up a whole new can of worms! LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Hey Hunter...let us know, when you start doing this with it!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Bet it won't involve chipmunks!!!
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Yeah, you need to get one from each maker....then one from each year...round receiver, hex receiver...then ones with multiple year stamps...oh, and then you can get into the ones that have been "Finned".

Don't forget, about the "sniper" versions. They open up a whole new can of worms! LOL
    Yeah I know, it's a dark lonely job, but some one has to do it.
    The "Finned" Carbine was the M39, action by SAKO, now looking...........

My little range is maxed at about 250 yds, 1000 meters would be cool, but need a lot more room, (Oh Honey, need to buy more land........., and a skid steer would be nice)

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    My little range is maxed at about 250 yds, 1000 meters would be cool, but need a lot more room,
    I've done both. 250 yds doesn't hurt my feelings, near as bad as 1,000 does. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

You are correct.
    There were several variations based on just about every model that was left behind when Finland declared their independence, and took over the armouries.
    Some were even made by Remington.
    Good history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin%E...Nagant#Finland

So what's the story on the Russian rifle? Can you order that online or do you have to pick it up at the store? Does anyone know if it's a decent firearm?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    So what's the story on the Russian rifle? Can you order that online or do you have to pick it up at the store? Does anyone know if it's a decent firearm?
    I think they are about as rugged and dependable as anything you will ever find. (Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.lol) It has to be hands down, the best firearm value, today.

As far as shipping it, I can't answer, but it is the same as a new rifle, as far a the law goes. (Few of them are old enough to be called antiques.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I guess I'll call Gander tomorrow and see if they have any in stock. I'll just find out for myself.

(thank you)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I guess I'll call Gander tomorrow and see if they have any in stock. I'll just find out for myself.

(thank you)
    If you need some ammo...

..how about 880 rounds for less than $170? LOL

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=555116
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Okay, so I called today. They out in my local store but he said to call on Friday. More will be in.

Here's a site for parts.

http://www.buymilsurp.com/mosin-nagant-c-2.html

Rick, if you do have a local store, they can find one and ship it in.
    Here's the info for Internet purchases.
    http://www.gandermountain.com/gunsmi...rchasing.shtml

We are fortunate in have a local store, the original mail order store was about 15 miles from here in Wilmot, WI.
    Also had the "outlet store' where returns, outdated stock and deals could be had.

I really miss that store, bought 4 Tasco 3 X 9 scopes, for $20 buck apiece, should have bought the whole pallet.............Oh well.

I have a store about 15 miles from me as well. That's where I called. I asked what the barrels looked like and he said some were good and some not quite as good so really like to see what I'm buying. If they come in Friday I can run over there and take a look.

I have to go. I have to burn my neighbor's houses down so I have a kill zone. How are you supposed to shoot anything with all these houses in the way. Sheeeesh.

I have a store about 15 miles from me as well. That's where I called. I asked what the barrels looked like and he said some were good and some not quite as good so really like to see what I'm buying. If they come in Friday I can run over there and take a look. (Famous last words, LOL)

I have to go. I have to burn my neighbor's houses down so I have a kill zone. How are you supposed to shoot anything with all these houses in the way. Sheeeesh.

I hear ya, been itching to get out to the cabin, seems obligations are space out just enough to keep me in town.

When I do, I have a winters worth of brought back to life older toys, new loads, and just a need for recoil.

Careful, I know how you are on stoves, these pieces of history are very addicting as well.

I have a store about 15 miles from me as well. That's where I called. I asked what the barrels looked like and he said some were good and some not quite as good so really like to see what I'm buying. If they come in Friday I can run over there and take a look.

When you come home with your new addition, here is the motherload of info, about Mosins.

Enjoy! http://7.62x54r.net/
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Man oh, man, oh man. You sure were right about the mother load. Thanks! Is this Russian made ammo corrosive stuff? I've read some of the threads you guys have posted about scrubbing barrels with soapy water, etc. I really don't want to get into that but $99 bucks!?

I assume the 7.62X54 is a decent deer caliber (?)

Man oh, man, oh man. You sure were right about the mother load. Thanks! Is this Russian made ammo corrosive stuff? I've read some of the threads you guys have posted about scrubbing barrels with soapy water, etc. I really don't want to get into that but $99 bucks!?

Yes, it's corrosive, but it's not that big of a deal. Spray a little windex down the barrel, and the ammonia neutralizes the salts. (Or you could buy more expensive ammo) I just use a cleaner that has ammonia in it, and clean mine like I would any other rifle.

7.62x54R is the same caliber as .308 or .30-06. Power wise it's close to a .30-06. Keep in mind that the surplus ammo is FMJ and is not legal to hunt with, in most places. (SP ammo is commercially available.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Thanks for the site 2D, I have that one on my old hard drive, and have printed out arsenal marking to take to the store with me.
    That is a real cool site, even has info on I.D. marking, on all the accessories.

7.62 x54r is a very good cal for deer, close to a 30-06 in ballistics, but I favor soft point ammo, which is more expensive, but available.

Surplus ammo is mostly non-re loadable, due to the Berdan type primer, (too small holes, no anvil, in the primer pocket) and has corrosive powder.
    Generally no more of a problem than a muzzleloader.

Ammonia is generally used to neutralize any corrosives, than normal cleaning.
    I am told that a field cleaning was pizzing down the barrel, then cleaning, can't say I have tried it.

But hey, for the price, make a day at the range, a lot more affordable than say, $40+/- bucks a box for some of the ammo out there.

What they were/are is a "lance that shoots", and have a historical back ground that covers a lot of years, back to the day when lancers were still part of an army.

I kinda look at them as a Bic 30-06, lots of bang for your buck.................