Thread: Make sure to have the essentials on your person!

Default Make sure to have the essentials on your person!

I just wanted to remind all of you somethng important. Time and again this winter we have been out snowmachining or on boats out along the coast or in various aircraft. Every single time, something happens where we are seperated from our main gear. It has happend to balance the load, or for convenince or someone's snowmachine broke down and we need to double up etc. "just load the bags on here" has been said many times. I'm glad my wife and I keep our mini kits and a little extra on our persons at all times. If something were to happen and our gear bags weren't with us, at least we had the bare bones available.
    If you plan on an excursion out in the wilds with a group or multiple vehicles etc. take heed and make sure you have enough on you in your coat, vest, fanny pack etc. that will not be seperated from you!
    Something to keep you body temp up and the ability to make fire, make clean water, signal, and something to much on! These are the bare bones for us, your milage may vary.
    I'm actually quite shocked how many time this happened in the last 2 months alone.
    Have fun out there and be prepared!
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Banned
    Blog Entries

Good advise.......Have you been in a Super Cub Yet........????????

Good advice, basics are with my at all times, more in trucks and such.

Had an interesting happenstance on a 30 mile trip to my brothers house in a surprise blizzard, and the 4 wheel drive selector went out, though I was gonna get stranded.

Can happen quick, I agree.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Always have the essentials with you.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Good post, MT. You are right on the money.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thats Great advice, thanks .
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I've been around them, but haven't been up in a super cub yet. Mostly Cessna 180's, 206's and 210's. A Husky and an not to mention a couple of Uh-1's and Jet Rangers. There were a couple of other chopper's, but I don't remember what they were. Always fun, sometimes a little "pucker factor" though!
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    I've been around them, but haven't been up in a super cub yet. Mostly Cessna 180's, 206's and 210's. A Husky and an not to mention a couple of Uh-1's and Jet Rangers. There were a couple of other chopper's, but I don't remember what they were. Always fun, sometimes a little "pucker factor" though!
    I used to work for Air Parts Expediters (an aircraft salvage company) and fly around picking up wrecked planes for salvage. Super Cubs have amazing abilities but I picked too many of them up with a broom and while Cessna's are a flying rock, everyone I picked up the fuselage was intact. Just saying.

This is actually something I've been doing and not thinking about a lot for years. Usually when shopping for clothes I tend to grab the stuff with the most pockets. It drives my wife nuts sometimes, just because it might take a minute for me to find what I'm looking for if I put it in the wrong pocket. And having kids I tend to put stuff to keep them amused in at least one of my pockets. My youngest was getting a bit antsy the other day when we went out to eat, and the waitress looked at me just a little bit crazy because I was carrying around a little thing of playdough to keep the little one occupied. People seem to look at you a bit odd when you have stuff on your person that most people don't carry around, but they are still very thankful when you have the travel sewing kit to fix a rip or button that's came off. :P What I carry depends on where I'm going, and if I don't have something that a situation calls for I tend to make a note of it and evaluate if that situation comes up enough to merit carrying something to fix it.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein