Thread: Knapping my Second Point

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Default Knapping my Second Point

Yesterday I got to sit down and make my second arrow point. I started with a rough obsidian spall. I am pretty sure that I am catching the knapping bug - I dreamed about it all night last night.

The second point was much easier since I got a handle on the basic technique with the first one. Still, it ain't nothing to brag about, but I am happy with it.

You can't tell from the picture, but the point is fairly short, maybe 1-1/4". The spall I started from was really thick on one end and I lost a lot of length working it down.

Here is my second point:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I started with an obsidian spall like this one:
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Well done. I think it looks great.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would really like to try some different arrowhead styles. Does anyone know a good site that has pictures and descriptions of various Native American point styles?

EDIT: Just found such a site. The Virginia Department of Historical Resources has a site describing 44 different kinds of points.
    http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/arch_DHR/Points/psumm.xml
    Last edited by preachtheWORD; 03-16-2010 at 09:42 AM.

That's a nice looking point.

Good site too. Thanks.

looks great preach.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Cool, nice work!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

What little native American I have was from the northern Indiana area (like who cares) so, I went looking and found this site. Page 55 has the different point types. http://www.in.gov/dnr/historic/files/earlypeople.pdf

I did a glass point a while back. It took me several tries before I got one to not break.
    Last edited by rebel; 06-25-2010 at 12:22 AM.

same. it also took me dozens before i got to the point that i could finish one to my satisfaction without breaking every other piece.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PTW, try lithic casting labs .com
    your second point is much better than my 20th lol. good job!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

That's a great site! http://www.lithiccastinglab.com/
    Thanks YCC!

Quote Originally Posted by your_comforting_company View Post
    your second point is much better than my 20th lol. good job!
    Man, yer makin me blush. I am sure that I've got nowhere near your ability. Everybody on WSF knows you are the man when it comes to primitive skills. I have been very blessed to have a dedicated and patient knapping teacher. If I was by myself trying to figure it out I am sure that my progress would be much slower.

If I found that laying on the ground I'd think I'd found an original for sure. Very nice job!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I plain to see that the effort that went into making these as a matter of survival truly is a feat. Y'all are confirming that with every post.
    I'm guessing that 99% of the population doesn't even know what they are, let along making your own.
    Nice work!

Finding a couple of originals, personally, kind of gave me an appreciation of the labor and skill required, ....and the loss of a valuable tool.
    It would be like you losing your favorite knife, or firearm.

These original points/tools were accumulated over approx 13000 years.

I often thought that 1000 years from now, some one is gonna find my aluminum "2117 Game Getter's" scattered all over central/northern Wisconsin, and conclude that there was a heck of a battle there. LOL.

Just a thought,

Lot of the posters that are on those sites are all over the walls at the local collage where I have been helping out the Archaeological depart, doing cleaning, identifying and recording artifacts from a local dig.

I sure if you look into it there are opportunities in your area, to learn and teach your crafts.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For the record, I break about half of them. My mentor is a bit of a woman chaser, so getting him over here to spend any good deal of time showing me anything is seldom and short. usually I ask a few questions, watch him flake one or two out, ask a few more questions and when 20-30 minutes are passed, he leaves me to my own devices. Progress is slow for me, but it gives more meaning to each point I find because I understand the dedication and talent and training it took to make each one. Craig can make them fast, but he's been knapping for 20+ years. Me less than 2..

Spend time with your instructor and you will learn much more than how to make points
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures