Thread: multi tool mini survival kit

Default multi tool mini survival kit

anyone have one? and also what is the best components to complement a multi tool based kit?

I'm not sure on the "best", but I always demand at least a blade, saw (makes life easier sometimes), pliers, wire cutter (comes with pliers most of the time), and can opener. Look for these to start
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

What exactly do you mean by a multi tool mini survival kit? Is it just a tiny kit with a multi tool, a tiny kit with a few tools, or tiny tools with a multi kit? (ok ok the last option is just for fun... unless thats what you meant. then it's totally serious.)

i ment a kit to complement a multi tool such as a leatherman...ect and what would the kit contain? also any part or adition to the kit that would be peticularly usfull to "a multi tool based kit"
    i was thinking the kit would center around this
    http://sogknives.com/store/S63.html
    Last edited by warman87; 11-30-2007 at 09:58 PM.

I was waiting to see your explanation. I walked into a store one day some time ago and they had a Scrade on sale. Cheaper than dirt. It has all the usual stuff like your link shows as well as a bit driver with eleven different bits. Mostly hex bits and different screw driver blades.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

well it comes with wire cutters so... uh... wire.... How are you planning on containing your kit? that's important

Quote Originally Posted by spiritman View Post
    well it comes with wire cutters so... uh... wire.... How are you planning on containing your kit? that's important
    thats the kind of thing i need help with.not the tool but the kit i have no clue what to put it in or of what stuff to include?i hope this makes it a bit clearer what im asking

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

a good starting point would probably be fire
    maybe throw in a magnesium fire starter

as Spiritman said - How are you planning on containing your kit?

i would perhaps look for a small camera bag
    one you can put on your belt

start with fire
    a fair quality folding knife
    1-2 protein/energy bars

it all depends what kind of survival you are thinking of ?
    survival in the woods ?
    how will a Phillips head screwdriver help you in the woods

Find something that you have lying around the house that you could keep it in, anything that is water proof or at least resistant is a good idea and all the better if you can carry water in it. those Nalgene bottle kits are really a great idea if you customize them.

So now for the junk you put in...
    A survival blanket is cheap and valuable.
    matches lighter or fire steel for sure.
    550 paracord, as much as you can wrap around your bottle or braid into a strap or belt.
    Duct tape, also wrapped around bottle or around a stiff strap.
    A whistle if this is a "getting found" kit if not then whatever.
    Snare wire or pre-made snares (if that's legal)
    Hook line and sinker. Plenty of high tension line and hooks. they don't take up much space.
    Bandages and antiseptic are a good idea to keep around.

prefer leathermen models have owned many others still own the leathermen's as for my kits I have several but the one I use most fits in a camo fanny pack
    Last edited by sh4d0wm4573ri7; 01-02-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch.chesney View Post
    I'm not sure on the "best", but I always demand at least a blade, saw (makes life easier sometimes), pliers, wire cutter (comes with pliers most of the time), and can opener. Look for these to start
    I would suggest a winchester mini

I would look at it in another way.

What do you want in your survival kit and replace the knife with a multi tool.

What goes in your kit would depend on the size of the kit you want and how big the container you want to carry is.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

I have a $12 multi-tool (full-size) and use it for nothing but very light duty chores around the house. My thinking is, to fit all the tools into that thing, they have to make each blade, file, and tool very thin and cheap, so they are not good for medium duty things. If you want a wrench, put one in your BOB.