Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What if I met a wolf or a bear when I am out?

Question What if I met a wolf or a bear when I am out?

Have anyone discussed this yet? I am just wondering what is the best thing I could do when I met either one of those.
    Should I just pretend I am dead? or should I run?

One thing is for sure is that you can not outrun a predator.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charlie609 View Post
    Have anyone discussed this yet? I am just wondering what is the best thing I could do when I met either one of those.
    Should I just pretend I am dead? or should I run?
    Always carry a cold six-pack of beer for such eventualities. After the fourth one, it'll need to go behind a tree to pee, giving you enough time to run away.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/downloads/BearAttack.pdf
    3. Bear at close range:
    “The most important thing
    is to not panic, run wildly,
    or scream,” says Schneider. “That could cause
    a bear to charge.”
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

How about pushing youre buddy to the ground then running?
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

You should always carry klkak in your backpack so he can immediately come out shooting if it's a wolf. Other than that, I've had a wolf walk within 25 yards of me in the bush and not bother me. But yeah, running bad, it might excite some sort of primordial hunting instinct thingie that makes them think food! there's been lots of good advice on bears on the forum, do a search on it, don't make me re-type it all.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

The Bears and Wolves in Chicago pretty much ignore you. Do not bother them while they are eating this will annoy them and greatly reduce your chances for an autograph.

I'm not familiar with bears and wolves in other us locations. Some can be more aggressive then others.

If you wish, you can give a bit of an introduction like were "go out" is your experience and such. This will allow us to offer more valuable information that would take into consideration your general location.

There is a sticky guide of suggested info, share what you want.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14

OH, ya running is not good.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 03-15-2010 at 04:17 PM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Oh yeah! What gryff said! No intro and it's the wolves here you're gonna have to worry about.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Follow the Bear and report back "if he poops in the Buck'wheat".......

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Follow the Bear and report back if he poops in the Buck'weat.......
    y'know...that's actually a pretty good suggestion when you give it some thought. If you're following the bear, you know he's in front of and he's got his back turned to you. Now, that doesn't account for any other bears that might be coming up the trail behind you.

What if I met a wolf or a bear when I am out?
    I think the polite thing to do, would be to introduce yourself.
    (To the bear, the wolf, and/or the forum.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

2D, that was clever!

You will likely never meet a wolf when you are out.

A bear is a slightly greater chance.

If you do meet either one when you are out be sure to snap a couple of pictures before they run away.

If they don't run, and you aren't packing heat, get ready for a fight. Your life will depend on it.

watch them. enjoy. it's a beautiful thing to observe large predators in the wild.

it's not likely to become a confrontation. if it does, your response depends on which animal it is, and what kind of confrontation it is, and how far it's gotten by the time you decide to react.

i find that when a black bear is showing too much curiosity, just walking away is usually the end of it. if it begins to follow you, it might not hurt to chuck some rocks at it. making a lot of noise at that point is not a bad idea.

if it's a mutual surprise type encounter, it probably won't hurt to stomp your feet, clap your hands and shout the classic 'go away, bear'.

if a bear is raiding your camp, your best bet is to swallow your pride, and let it satisfy itself and move on. it's not a good idea to camp there a second night.

there are any ways to handle an animal confrontation. none of them are exactly right every time, many are pretty good options, and a few are dead wrong.
    Last edited by canid; 03-15-2010 at 07:02 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Charlie609 - as others have suggested, while having a little fun along the way - it may be best to go to the Introduction section (I know you can find it) and tell us a bit about yourself. The advice you recieve my vary drastically depending on your location (geography and setting). Thanks in advance for that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

good point.

if you come across a wolf in florida, your best bet would probably be to check it's collar for a phone number or address.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    good point.

if you come across a wolf in florida, your best bet would probably be to check it's collar for a phone number or address.
    'Zactly. While we do have a fairly large black bear population, the wild cats seem to be a bigger issue. I know that I've seen a lot of cougars around town. Can't seem to figure it out though - they seem attracted only to younger humans.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you have only just met, even on the trail, you should not kiss on the first date, or the bear will think you a related to Dogman. I always carry protection..........

Blog Entries

Well Crash, which would you prefer, a nice tender steak from a fit youngster or a bit of old boot leather from an old one?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Well Crash, which would you prefer, a nice tender steak from a fit youngster or a bit of old boot leather from an old one?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cougar
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Hmmm; no intro! So here's some "info" for you: 1st, if the bear is wearing a hat & a necktie, his name is probably Yogi & you don't have to worry. 2nd, if he's a black bear, hit him really hard on the snout and call him a retard! 3rd, if he's a Grizzly/Kodiak then have those organ donor cards filled out, that is, if you have any organs left after the bear helps himself to a hot lunch. If he's a Panda he probably belongs to 2 Dumb & if he's a polar Bear or a female bear with cubs, any type, immeadiately drop to the ground, place your head between your knees & kiss your a$$ goodbye!

Finally, the only Wolves you have too watch out for are the ones on this forum! Now do a freakin' intro! 'nuff said!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin