Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What if I met a wolf or a bear when I am out?

and if you couldn't tell, that was some serious lighthearted seriousness...
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    good point.

if you come across a wolf in florida, your best bet would probably be to check it's collar for a phone number or address.
    We actually do have red wolves in Florida. They are isolated breeding populations that are part of a reintroduction attempt for the Eastern United States.

Since 1987, over 100 wolves were reintroduced and more were born into captivity. In 1989 the second island propagation project initiated with release of a population on Horn Island off the Mississippi coast. This population was removed in 1998 because of a likelihood of encounters with humans. The third island propagation project introduced a population on St. Vincent Island, Florida offshore between Cape San Blas and Apalachicola, Florida in 1990, and in 1997 the fourth island propagation program introduced a population to Cape St. George Island, Florida south of Apalachicola, Florida.

In 1991 two pairs were reintroduced into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, where the last known Red Wolf was killed in 1905. Despite some early success, the wolves were relocated to North Carolina in 1998, ending the effort to reintroduce the species to the Park.
    Not contending the check the tag remark so much as pointing out something that may not be well known. I've only seen coyotes down here as far as wild canines go.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie609 View Post
    Have anyone discussed this yet? I am just wondering what is the best thing I could do when I met either one of those.
    Should I just pretend I am dead? or should I run?
    You should be more concerned about avoiding lightning strikes, considering you are 10 times more likely to die by lightning strike then you are by a Bear.

But to put your mind at ease, always hike with a friend (a slow fat friend) you don’t have to out run the Bear you just have to out run your friend
    If you light a fire for a man he is warm for a day, but if you light that man ON fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

yeah batch: what i actually know about florida would just about fit into my hat. a lot of it sure is pretty though.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by dbldrew View Post
    You should be more concerned about avoiding lightning strikes, considering you are 10 times more likely to die by lightning strike then you are by a Bear.

But to put your mind at ease, always hike with a friend (a slow fat friend) you don’t have to out run the Bear you just have to out run your friend
    That is my big concern here, lightning. Lightning storms are the big suck when hiking in water! (with metal tree stands in hand)

Florida is the lightening capital of North America.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I am Shamelessly begging for GREEN Reputation Points. For two reasons: 1) to compensate for the Red one Sarge Gave Me, and 2) I want to see what happens when I hit 200 rep points. NOTE: I Need 19 Points, Thank you
    Just gave you some a couple of days back. They've placed a Sourdough Hold on my rep giving.

.........and Sarge? Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charlie609 View Post
    Have anyone discussed this yet? I am just wondering what is the best thing I could do when I met either one of those.
    Should I just pretend I am dead? or should I run?
    Take your clothes off. It'll save the wolves or bears the trouble of undressing you before they eat you.

(p.s. I need 93 more Rep points to reach 200 before Sourdough does)
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Florida is the lightening capital of North America.
    The city I live in has the highest number of people struck by lightning most years.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    The city I live in has the highest number of people struck by lightning most years.

Perhaps it is time to relocate the U.S.Congress. And the Lobbyist.

Shootem, eatem, wearem

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Perhaps it is time to relocate the U.S.Congress. And the Lobbyist.
    Give them all septers made of metal!

Hey Nancy, here take this 10' EMT tactical assualt conduit up to that podium and tell em how you got it from us gun nuts. Pay attention Harry, your next.

I suggest you study mixed-martial arts. Wolves and bears in different regions have different attack strategies. If you just know karate you may not be aptly prepared to handle an attack by a pack of bears that know tai chi. you should brush up on your grappling skills, dirty boxing and ground game so your prepared for whatever the predators bring in to the attack. when all else fails- jump off a nearby cliff- I have seen both Charles Bronson and Rambo use this method of conflict aversion and it can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    I suggest you study mixed-martial arts. Wolves and bears in different regions have different attack strategies. If you just know karate you may not be aptly prepared to handle an attack by a pack of bears that know tai chi. you should brush up on your grappling skills, dirty boxing and ground game so your prepared for whatever the predators bring in to the attack. when all else fails- jump off a nearby cliff- I have seen both Charles Bronson and Rambo use this method of conflict aversion and it can work.
    That's were Griylli Vanilli learned it! Thanks, J_M, once again people....you can't buy this kind of information, just too good to be true!
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

You have to positively identify the exact species of predator. So you know whether to yell chi-ya, hee-ya, or ki-ya when you judi chop them.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    That's were Griylli Vanilli learned it! Thanks, J_M, once again people....you can't buy this kind of information, just too good to be true!
    thats right trax. you can't beat boots in the field experience. I have had packs of bears climb trees after me, and herds of wolves run into the water when I've jumped into a pond to illude their advances. But I ain't ever had a wolf or a bear jump off a clip in pursuit. when all else fails- jump off a cliff. Falling doesn't hurt...but landings can

Well Jason, that landing thing is exactly why I only carry a silk backpack which converts immediately into a parachute when the indicator tells it that I'm dropping at a specific rate of descent. It also converts to a tuxedo in case I land in a more formal setting. Source James Bond folks, you can't go wrong.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Well Jason, that landing thing is exactly why I only carry a silk backpack which converts immediately into a parachute when the indicator tells it that I'm dropping at a specific rate of descent. It also converts to a tuxedo in case I land in a more formal setting. Source James Bond folks, you can't go wrong.
    ...and I thought that Ken was joking, when he said that you're into silk.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    "Provocateurs try to incite the opponent to counter-productive or ineffective acts to foster public disdain—or provide a pretext for aggression against the opponent........."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_provocateur

Caught you redhanded, AGAIN, 2dumb.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    Trying to stir it up with trax, huh, 2dumb.

Ooooooooooow, you're gonna' be hurtin' soooooooooooooooo bad!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark