Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do do before heading out?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Yes the first thing I do before heading out to anywhere in the morning is take a dump.
    Who'da thunk it. All this time, I figured that the cold Alaskan morning air would be enough to CLEAR YOUR HEAD!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

We call them landfills in the lower 48. We used to call them dumps but they have become a bit more classy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I live in a small town on the Pa. Oh. border

I start every day with a light breakfast then,vary what I bring along to go with the days activities.Water more than you think you need,a sandwich,fruit and snacks.In a park that small try practicing your compass skills,pick an object take a bearing estimate the distance and pace it off.I would be hard pressed to spend 6 hours without fishing,hunting,practicing fire making skills something.

You guys realize that klkak's answer and mine are the only ones that come close to addressing the OP, right? the question was about do do
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Thanks for the info, and as Sour said it's so small it would be impossible to get lost. Plus there are roads on everyside of the park. So no matter where I go I will hit a road. Thanks for all the eating info, and of course the dumping info... I'm not a morning seat warrior, but coffee usually helps me boost some nasty's out!
    "I have a great deal of company in my house;
    especially in the morning, when nobody calls."

-Henry David Thoreau
    Walden

My brother went like 10 days with out doing "do do" last Spring turkey. LOL

He stayed out a week. He came back on Friday, which I think was day 8, for some family thing. Then we went back out that afternoon for the rest of the weekend. Thing was when he got home he had gone so long he couldn't go. Bad, idea to back up the pipes. LOL

I eat something before I start a hike. Usually involves eggs, toast, bacon and coffee. Sometimes its just something from the drive through. After that, unless we make camp, I usually get by on cereal bars, granola bars and jerky.

I always TRY to use the bathroom before I leave. I always carry two rolls of toilet paper with me on the trail. Because other people sometimes don't.

Don't be the guy who loses a sock or a shirt sleeve out in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Theluciddreamers View Post
    The don't make hand maps, but the trails have maps on them.
    Going on-line and printing an aerial map might help.
    BEND OVER - Here comes the "change"

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

Here is a website to print out a map.

http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/

It will have where you are going. Even if you don't need it, take it anyways and practice using a map. It is easier to learn a map in familiar terrain.

So, you know that by waiting for spring, you missed a great winter hiking season.

Anyways, bring a lunch. Have fun.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Who'da thunk it. All this time, I figured that the cold Alaskan morning air would be enough to CLEAR YOUR HEAD!
    It's a good thing I like you!
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Sounds like you're all geared up.

Except for one thing... a big warm sack of chill out.

You are an able bodied human being, with situational awareness. And a sharp knife and some water. I assume there are no lions in the park (or they'd be charging you money to be in it) so barring anything short of coronary failure, mugging or something heavy falling out of the sky I reckon you'll do ok.

FA kits are great (although kind of wasted on anyone without FA training in some ways), but I can't see someone on a casual day walk inflicing any kind of injury that can't be treated with their own clothing, or their cellphone, or their ability to shut up and get on with it. Compression bandage, great, sleeve of shirt slashed on the diagonal, fine. I have a hefty kit for home, a lightweight one for our cars, but on a walk of less than a few k I would actually find carrying even a kit as basic as some triangular bandages, compressions and field dressing pads a little over-cautious.

Some of the most injury prone professional bushman I have known relied on not much more than a clean bit of cotton in their kit , and some tape or string. Sharp clean blade, personal medications of choice (or circumstance). I cannot remember the last time anyone lost an eye on a walk with me and if they did, I'd rip off a shirt pocket and then get on the phone. At least at the ranges the OP is talking about.

My 4 year old daughter, complete with fairy wings, can easily walk 2k some days, with a few sips of water and a lot of parental earbashing. Our block is 10 acres, and even that is enough to bore her senseless so we spend an hour or two most afternoons "bush bashing" around neighbours properties (it's ok, they're easy going).

I'd recommend a camera, a few plastic bags in your pocket in case you find wild fodder, medicine or mushrooms, something high carb in case you flatten out mid walk. Eat a decent breakfast, carbs over protein unless it's freezing out there. If you are prone to blood sugar issues (get cranky at 3pm, etc) aim for a low GI meal before you go... porridge (oatmeal? my american is rusty!) and honey with apple juice rather than white toast and Coke, for example. Some nice fresh fruit or maybe nuts for on the way, a nice heavy protein rich dinner and you'll sleep like a baby. PLant ID guide, basic fishing gear depending on area are nice touches. People walk further than that every day on nothing more than a coffee and a few cigs

You'll be alright unless you go jamming fingers into bug holes and trying to juggle snakes. Some "parks" in Australia are so big , some areas might be topo mapped but its just aerial... noone has actually BEEN there as such.
    Last edited by hybrid; 03-17-2010 at 11:55 AM.
    my sense of self approval is bigger than yours. and I chose to be born in the most stupid country ever.

I've found fairy wings are very helpful when hiking. Not the great big ones but the smaller ones.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Imitation hunting is one approach. I mainly just pelt em with rocks. You need about 40 of the little buggers to make a decent pie but they go so nice and crispy around the edges with a little toasting over coals.

Actually it's funnywhen local hardcore "bushies" spot this tiny blonde thing wandering thru the undergrowth dressed like Titania with a mastiff cross in one hand and a great big stick in the other Usually gets a beard-scratch of amazement and that "hey, not everyone plugs their kids into a computer first thing every morning these days" look.

Funnier still when we go to places that overlap with where the weekend warriors tend to hang out... they can't take a dump without a GPS in their hand and see her leaping from rock to rock like something out of fern gully... poor dears.
    my sense of self approval is bigger than yours. and I chose to be born in the most stupid country ever.

I'd tank up on a good breakfast, as you will be wanting plenty of energy and nutrients coursing through your system. Also be sure to bring at least a couple quarts of water, a good lunch, and lots of snack foods that will fill the gaps between meals and also serve as an emergency ration in case, say, you break a leg or for some other reason end up staying outdoors longer than expected (take a wrong turn).

This will allow you to enjoy the day and experience whatever adventures arise without feeling hungry or thinking you may be hungry if you want to stay out longer than planned.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

"Always prepare for the worst"........."And demand your very best"

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    I'd tank up on a good breakfast, as you will be wanting plenty of energy and nutrients coursing through your system. Also be sure to bring at least a couple quarts of water, a good lunch, and lots of snack foods that will fill the gaps between meals and also serve as an emergency ration in case, say, you break a leg or for some other reason end up staying outdoors longer than expected (take a wrong turn).

This will allow you to enjoy the day and experience whatever adventures arise without feeling hungry or thinking you may be hungry if you want to stay out longer than planned.

Yeah, good breakfast is essential. For just a 6-8 hr hike, especially one that will begin and end at your apartment, you really don't need a whole lot. I'd bring at most a quart of water, a couple of energy bars and some peanut M&Ms.

If you're looking to start doing overnights, though, that changes things some and you have entered the fun, self-punishing world of backpacking! I've got a few threads about gearing up for 1-2 night trips.
    Last edited by LostOutrider; 03-20-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I always TRY to use the bathroom before I leave. I always carry two rolls of toilet paper with me on the trail. Because other people sometimes don't.
    So does Sarge.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Always wondered why he took so long in the crapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    So does Sarge.

Wow! You ever wish you could unlook at something? My retinas regret that image.

Blog Entries

Good God Man!
    We need to put a warning on kens picture post!
    AARRRGGGG My eyes!
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

I sometimes follow faeries out hiking... I mean, what could go wrong???

"Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]