Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altitude sickness

Default Altitude sickness

I would have to disagree with this statment when I have seen some get sick at 5000' to 6000' due to there physical or health conditions.
    Acute mountain sickness is an illness that can affect mountain climbers, hikers, skiers, or travelers at high altitude (typically above 8,000 feet or 2,400 meters).
    https://health.google.com/health/ref...ntain+sickness

I found this if your interested
    Elevation feet Atmospheric pressure (psi)
    Sea level 14.7
    2000 13.7
    3000 13.52
    4000 12.7
    4350 12.6
    5000 12.2
    6000 11.8
    7000 11.3
    8000 10.9
    9000 10.5

At sea level the boiling point of water is 212F 100C and at the higher elevation the boiling point of water goes down so cooking takes longer such as boiling an egg.

(At higher elevations the cheaper the drunk)

Man thats alot of typing for me.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Every time I have visited Denver Co, I have gotten a variation of the altitude sickness within 2 days of arrival. On various occassions the trips have involved a lot of physical activity and or conferences. On all occassions, I have what I at first thought were stroke symptoms , each time I have sought medical attention, and was given the sage advise, go home, or stay long enough to acclimate. Guess I am not built for the altitudes
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I break out in a cold sweat, if I get more than about 5 feet off the ground. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Our camp in Colorado was at 10500 ft and I didn't want to get out of the truck, couldn't see any air out there.
    One of the guys got extremely sick, headaches, etc.

Very dry, as well, and we were always drinking water. (Sometimes with some medicine in it), and eating like crazy?
    I always wondered if you actually got oxygen from drinking that much water?

My Colman coolers actually swelled up between the seams, till we came back down.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    I break out in a cold sweat, if I get more than about 5 feet off the ground. LOL
    Well then you'll enjoy this.
    http://www.hvacfun.com/unsafe-ladders.htm
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

At 11000'+ in Colorado I discovered that taking Advil the minute I arrived and then every day for the first few days took care of the headache and the general fatigue.
    After that the body adjusts.
    Incidentally, Tylenol has no effect on altitude headaches.

I've been fortunate and have never experienced altitude sickness. I think the highest altitude that I spent any time was while snow skiing in Hawaii from the top of Mauna Kea - just a bit over 13,500 feet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'd say people may not get acute mountain sickness when traveling to 5,000 ft or so above sea level (from sea level) but they defiently get something. I live at over 6,000ft and I have clients and guests get light headed and drousy frequently when visiting me from low elevations. Physical exertion or alcohol consumption even complicates it further

Crash - I would have thought you would have gotten sub altitude sickness. (get it? Sub altitude?)

Jason - I don't think it has anything to do with the altitude. I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say it might be your stories. The home made sheepskin would probably do it. I know I was feeling a little nauseous when I read it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The way I understand it, staying at a certain altitude long enough to acclimate (or acclimatise- I've heard it said both ways) is the best way to beat altitude sickness. The higher you go the more acclimation time is needed. Say you want to climb/hike a 13-14,000' peak in Colorado: if you already live in, say, Denver you spend the night at the trailhead at 9-10,000' and start early the next morning. If you live at sea level, spend a couple days in Denver or wherever before you do the overnight at the trailhead. YMMV

I live at just under 7000'. I have minor problems but solely due to poor physical conditioning and overweight. I've been to Pikes Peak twice and really have problems up there. Getting old and fat is not a good thing, considering the, albit short spurts, times I spent at higher altitudes with or without supplemental oxygen.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
    The way I understand it, staying at a certain altitude long enough to acclimate (or acclimatise- I've heard it said both ways) is the best way to beat altitude sickness. The higher you go the more acclimation time is needed. Say you want to climb/hike a 13-14,000' peak in Colorado: if you already live in, say, Denver you spend the night at the trailhead at 9-10,000' and start early the next morning. If you live at sea level, spend a couple days in Denver or wherever before you do the overnight at the trailhead. YMMV
    I would agree with this completely. Having said that it should be stated that I am speaking solely on personal experience and not from any medical or scientific studies.
    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."-Ronald Reagan

I live at just over 17' above sea level, and see no need to climb up some very tall mountain. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Y'know the other bad thing about being way up on a mountain is falling, that sucks.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

(What a set up) Ahem.....Falling is cool. Peaceful, solitude, a feeling of freedom. Now, that sudden stop at the end ...
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    (What a set up) Ahem.....Falling is cool. Peaceful, solitude, a feeling of freedom. Now, that sudden stop at the end ...
    quite possibly neither of us are treating the subject with the gravity it deserves
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

There goes another thread smack dab off the cliff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

really took a nosedive didn't it.

Sure ran that one into the ground, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Sure ran that one into the ground, y'all.
    nah, it just sort of fell into place