Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dampness- I really hate that!

A two foot thick bed of balsam fir boughs works wonders any time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't disagree with you on the Goretex vs. trail runners. That's not a fair comparison, though, based on the post. My point was even though your boots are wet your feet still stay warm. I won't intentionally wear my boots through a stream that forces them to get wet unless I have no option. If it's warm then trail runners are great. I like my Tivas for that too. Don't have to worry about wet boots with those.
    I guess that this should be a separate thread, I actually encourage wading threw streams when hiking - because Tech Pants, wool, smart wool socks and some Solomon Runners and folks..."I AM HAPPY" Trudge thru and keep hiking ten minutes later these "relatively new" Hike systems are near dry!Temp is a big deal and so is wicking... so we really are not disagreeing - just see that we are looking at the same issue from a different perspective.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SSG HAWK - wow - I noticed you ordered a O degree bag- and you live in Texas... Where are you going?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I'm a bit surprized seeing peoples avatars that hats have not been mentioned. I have known people with leather brimed hats that lived under the shelter of there hats and were damn proud of them. I keep a booney hat that is light and folds up so fits in pack easily. A good hat keeps your head face and neck dry. It all kinds of adds up to keep you dry.
    A good hat keeps the rain and sun, and is only second to your dog when it comes to friends.....
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-18-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I guess whitis is off the net. Can anyone else offer insight into the needle size and how much spacing between the top to bottom of the bag threadless needle holes I need to put in the Adventure Medical SOL Bivy to BE CERTAIN that the moisture escapes?

Additionally, Tyvek just donated a 750 square foot roll of their permeable radiant tyvek for my project. Recall that I am trying to come up with prototypes and patterns for use as Boy Scout Troop projects. If anyone has any project ideas please send them on.
    45 degrees out tonite. Finally alittle more realistic test.

Default The colder the better!

Owl,
    Hopefully Montana in February. Elsewise the Texas Panhandle (Think Lonesome Dove) (And possibly I might just be a gear junkie.)

That explains it.... thanks for the extra info - there was a clear hole in the thread OK

now fill out post 64 - cus I don't understand what you are trying to get across!

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Got to run now. I will do a better job of explaining tonight. Thanks for all of your info. Regards.

This is where old fashioned wool come into play. It can supply warmth even when wet. But just the dampness around usually will allow it to work if it's not drenched. A thin wool garment under Gore Tex will help a lot.
    USN/USNTC/SD

When trebuchets are outlawed, only outlaws will have trebuchets.

Greetings from the Kingdom of An Tir and the Baroney of the 3 Mountains.

Sorry Owl.
    On post 58 I was aking Whitis if using his World Class threadless sewing maching irea (as opposed to using a 3 ring office punch to make the vent holes like I have been) was as simple as using the bigeest needle your sewing machine will handle and threadless sewing from chest to feet every inch around the entire Bivy. I want to make sure when I use this in cold weather inside a lighter weight bedroll that the moisture POSITIVELY VENTS from the mylar Bivy. I want the warmth without the wet! I guess the answer is put in as many holes as you can before the Bivy falls apart.
    Regards,

No don't be sorry - Here is my take When you pitch a tent or build a house you are going to heat it or cool it. Therefore condensation somewhere. A damp basement causes bugs, a dehumidifier - no bugs... a tent? your perspiration will condense in the strangest places - on one night super cold - on the top of the down bag, legs and feet, so....

FYI I found early paintings - of teepees with smoke coming out of the vent.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Using a number 8 needle with a zig zag stitch and no thread with the tyvek radiate material folded over 10 thickness allows a whole lot of holes in quick order. In fact when you hold it up to the light you wonder how it holds together with a hole every 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch. No condensation at all but not as warm due that many holes. Tried a version last night with about 10% of those holes but I was way over baged so I wolk up at 2 feeling I was wet when I really only was damp. Considering I had silk long johns, wrapped in the poncho liner mummy inside a perferated Bivy 2 inside a 40 degree bag and it only got down to 45. The concepy proved its point if you do not over bag. Still working on thr optinum number of holes.

Next concept. anyone familiar with the big anges series of bags? Any one into creating new sleeping bag designs?My question is if you have a double layer bag wouldn't it increase the insulation value if we could create an air pocket between the double layers such as puting something like three zipper liners the lenght of the bag between the layers creating about a 3/4 inch air pocket . Any one knowledgable about this? Rick please move this as apprpriate. Very busy at work so may not get back for a few days. Regards,