Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival Fitness + Diet

Lightbulb Survival Fitness + Diet

This isn't an overview about the dynamics of fitness and how they pertain to the wilderness. I am neither a dietitian nor a fitness trainer. Instead this is my 2 cents to this community about something I am experienced in, and I think it can help others too.

In a survival situation, you don't want to be wasting energy and you may be required to overcome some obstacle in your path, or escape a dangerous situation. Anything like climbing a tree to escape a charging animal (maybe not so good for bears...), crossing over a creek or small river in your path, or moving speedily through forests or over boulders can be extremely tiring and dangerous... unless you know what you're doing.

Parkour

For about a year now, I have been practicing a sport called Parkour. If you're google searching this right now, you'll notice it's practiced in urban settings. Please google search rural parkour to find information of a more applicable form... The sport has a simple objective, and it's non-competitive: get from point A to point B. Sound easy? Well now point B is on the other side of the river, or in a tree. If point B is "anywhere away from this angry moose", then speed and wit may play a large role in your success.
    *Remember the golden rule if you're looking this up: ONLY what helps you gain ground with minimal effort is parkour, flips, twists, and flashy BS is called free running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcdWtecyZI&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9MbrzkOeIA (This video is more a show of the training techniques used to improve your skill)

Why is this important? Well it's important to be fit in general, and if you want to practice fitness that pertains to the wilderness, I can find none better (ironically, since this is an urban sport). The physical skills earned are endurance, cardio, and coordination. The skills of movement learned are endless and can overcome any obstacle you must pass.

It doesn't take much to train this sort of fitness. You simply train full range-of-motion exercises like pushups, situps, pullups, and eventually muscle ups etc. and spend some of your time outdoors goofing around a little. Try doing a precision from one fallen tree in the creek to another so you can finally make your way across. See how fast you can get to the top of the tree in your yard, or test your skills by actually running through the woods, using simple vaults to keep your speed up. Already this covers the 3 examples in the third paragraph. And for those of you who like to do primitive hunting, traceurs (parkour-ers) train silence as a way to improve their efficiency, so your steps will become quite silent even when stalking at a walking pace (or faster, depending on your environment)

It's not something that is necessary, but if you are interested in staying fit and athletic, but your life focus is on wilderness skills, this is a sport that translates directly into your environment. I have found myself able to cross creeks, climb trees, scale boulders, and move quickly and silently even through the woods thanks to the skills I have developed, and I spend very little energy doing it. Sometimes movement is the challenging part of surviving, and Parkour can help you do it easily and quickly.

The Paleo Diet

As for a diet... this is another ironic twist to the sport of Parkour. Though Parkour is an urban sport, many practitioners (known as Traceurs... the sport is from France) obey the "Paleo diet", which is simply eating food that you can find in its current form in the wild.

Meat should be cooked over a fire, of course, but vegetables and fruits should remain raw. The idea is that for millions of years (depending on your beliefs) the human race has adapted to eating the various foods of the wilderness and only now, for 3000 short years, we've decided to switch to bread, koolaid, macaroni and cheese, beer, pancakes, ketchup, mustard, union rings, ice cream, birthday cake, apple pie, yogurt, and other mixes of processed foods.

The diet is high in energy... real energy. Not caffeine energy or sugar energy, or starch energy (depending), but good old fat and protein. Fun fact: dog food is coated with fat because dogs need lots of energy, and even though we are all scared to death of "fat" and "calories", dogs know what's good for them.

Even if you're not interested in the athletics of Parkour, the Paleo diet is a quality diet, which is high in energy, and promotes health and fitness. Just remember that if you eat a lot of meat or fruits, you better be doing something to work it off. The Paleo diet is NOT about loosing weight, it's about feeling energized and healthy. After all, the people who followed this diet since 3 million years ago were getting enough energy to hunt, build, and work all day, every day.
    Last edited by Deadly Tao; 03-11-2010 at 02:31 PM.

My wife and I eat the Paleo diet off an on (I say as I chow a bagel and cream cheese). It works really well. Though its hard to eat with extended family, and that's what always does me in. Thanks for the overview.
    Full-Time Wilderness Skills Training at TrackersTEAMS

hmmm, let's see....hunt animal, kill animal, cook animal, eat animal. Yeah I think I've pretty much got my needs covered, but thanks
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Agree in cardio and range of motion being critical. Long strides make all the difference off trail. All I would add is that strenght training should be considered from a directional stand point. You will be lifting yourself more than other things. Sliders are good for this as you are pushing down rather than lifting up. Helps us old guys with bad backs too because it stretches out vertabre instead of compressing them. I'm getting to a point in life my workouts would be more acurately described as physical therapy I just know if I stop moving I won't be able to.

I watched some sort of competition and some vids of doing Parkour. It was very impressive.

Hey Deadly T. are you gonna do an intro so that we know a bit about you. You've been giving some advice, and it would be nice to know who it's coming from.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Intro?

With the exception of the parkour fitness and paleo diet, I'm trying to be on the receiving end of advice. I am a beginner with specific survival skills, even making fire. I know how, but I have never had to make fire without matches or a lighter, so I haven't ever. Deciding to get into survival is a decision winter made for me in a very indirect way.

A short version of who I am might go something like... grew up on the edge of the suburbs, low class, northern Illinois. Spent my time riding a bike, climbing a tree, building hot wheels tracks, Lego stuff, or exploring the creek down the road. Moved once, got into video games due to lack of local friends, moved back, stayed into video games. Made a website, flash games, learned to write programs, make 3D models, and experimented with podcasts. Read the Tao of Pooh and decided that the natural world is where it's at. Asked my friends about doing a survival trip to reacquaint myself with the world and they were in. Did some research, learned to make cordage, fire, shelter, tools. Found this forum and have been using it to aid my practice, since you can only learn so much from videos.

Maybe I should have included parkour... that's what the thread is about. I'm 19, live just west of Chicago, have always hated school and was never signed up for organized activities as a kid. Down time and boredom only lasted so long, until I became really creative and inventive with how to use my time and I got into making things out of playdoh, linkin logs, Legos (never megablocks...) and eventually pink-foam insulation, computer modeling, computer coding, cardboard, etc., etc., etc.. I'm a problem solver and a bit of a hobby inventor of things I never finish. I don't boast, there are definitely things I am bad at, but why include those? Instead I will just say that I pick things up fast and understand them inside and out faster than most people, so I decided to learn some survival stuff, just for my arsenal of knowledge.

I should probably post this in its own place...

I guess everybody needs a hobby, but it does look like a bunch of baby "bears" running around.
    Hobby?, yes, fitness?,yes, fun?, yes, survival?, well, maybe not so much.

I leave that to all you younger "bears".
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guess everybody needs a hobby, but it does look like a bunch of baby "bears" running around.
    Hobby?, yes, fitness?,yes, fun?, yes, survival?, well, maybe not so much.

I leave that to all you younger "bears".
    It's for us old guys too. Think like how you harden a plant in the spring. A plant started indoors has no wind blowing on it so you put it outside on nice days to get it used to bending in the wind. It causes small breaks that heal making it stronger. That's how it works with muscle and also bones.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    It's for us old guys too. Think like how you harden a plant in the spring. A plant started indoors has no wind blowing on it so you put it outside on nice days to get it used to bending in the wind. It causes small breaks that heal making it stronger. That's how it works with muscle and also bones.
    LOL, easy for you to say.........nope, I don't think so....like you said "walk little, look much". see y'all back at the truck.... when ever.

Hey Deadly,about the diet thingy,you are correct sir! A couple weeks of lots of fruits vegatables and weeds raw and you'll swear you could stop a charging rino!

Been there done that ! Well not stopped a charging rino, but I have juggled three pound balls for up to 3hrs! (not without dropping them,lol) then walked 20 miles and never felt the least bit draind. The energy you feel is remarkable! I had just mentioned such a thing to WarEagle in another post a while back.
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Nope. Not gonna do it. Just too easy. I have my pride.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

At my age I'd rather carefully crawl over rocks, or hide. And I don't mean to lower the tone, but doesn't all that fruit have a negative effect on your digestive sysytem? Because that is a sure fire way of getting yourself into trouble, surely.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I thought he might have been 20 miles from the outhouse. That's why he had to walk that far.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Winnie and Rick,1st Ive never been constipated! LOL
    Actually when you do this type a thing you don't get that hungry! So you don't eat a ton of anything! A single apple becomes a full satisfing meal! No s**t! Well... then again....LOL!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Well I don't consider myself old, but it's gettin closer every day. I am/ was seriously outta shape and am getting back in shape in a hurry. I'm not sure how maple syrup is gonna fit into my new way of eating less, but I'll make it work.

You don't need to get out and jump from log to log, if you can't, but getting out and hiking or walking does a great deal to keep you fit enuf.

I din't look into the sport you mentioned Deadly but it sounds like what I try to do just naturally when I'm out. I'm allways balancing and jumping from log to log, shore to shore, rock to rock , etc. That just takes out the boredom of hiking the same routes year in and year out and sometimes I have to do it to get from spot a to spot b.
    Last edited by rwc1969; 03-13-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: I looked at the vid, that's what I do except I'm in slow motion when I do it. LOL!

Default Further Explained

I can't disagree that it seems like a bunch of "Bear Grylls" running around, but the sport itself isn't worth the cyberspace if it isn't taken to the extreme, so the videos and images found online are ridiculous and include dangerous stunts. The actual sport, as I practice it, is much more reserved.

The sport of Parkour can be separated into 3 goals, one for any kind of situation. You can use the skills and talents learned in Parkour to go from point A to point B (1)quickly, (2)easily, or (3)safely, and most of the time it's a combination. Easily and/or safely would be the practical use if you found yourself in a survival situation and in need of covering ground. Quickly is best saved for an intense emergency situation. Now, I can see why safety doesn't seem likely based on the videos, but it's actually very present. I find that over and over I use what would seem like a dangerous technique in order to move about in a safe way. For example, shimmying (we call it spider climbing) up two vertical trees is often safer than climbing one of them, if you're at least somewhat experienced with the movement. Another example would be bridging a gap with a jump, rather than climbing down and back up. Again, you will need some experience to make that a better option, but not too much. A final example is... maybe jumping to catch a cliff, wall, or branch; landing with your hands on the edge, and feet on the side (or another branch and the same distance but lower) in order to climb up, rather than trying to jump over or get down and then back up. We call that last one a cat leap or cat hang.

The idea is that you use your energy efficiently, and so the majority of movements explored by the three guys in my video would be excluded, and they would just walk or run around the obstacles. Anything that isn't in an effort to move more easily is just for fun and not really described as parkour. Typically you pass dozens of obstacles before you meet one that is absolutely in your way during a run. Bear Grylls practices some techniques that you would undoubtedly become confident with, but never actually need or want to use.

Also, keep in mind that it's just plain good fitness. This sport is demanding when it comes to physical endurance and stamina. Not only that, but lifting weights and (especially) using machines can make you stronger, but they shorten your muscles and don't teach your body to use them properly. This sport is a way of staying fit while not only retaining your flexibility, coordination, control, and efficiency, but increasing them greatly. For somebody who wants to spend extended amounts of time in the wilderness, or for those who are forced into it by an accident or event, the level of fitness gained through this sport will help greatly by keeping them strong and capable without demanding huge caloric intake, like muscle mass does. Think about it... why isn't (wasn't...) Bruce Lee a hulk? Because he's efficient. He's strong, effective, and fast, and I bet he eats (ate...) very little compared to even you and me.

This combined with the paleo diet results in a healthy, energized human being with the potential to overcome environment with hardly any effort and enough stamina to keep going for much more time than the average human without significant nourishment.
    Last edited by Deadly Tao; 03-14-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Just so we're on the same plain here. Do you consider Twinkies extreme? 'Cause if you do, I've got that covered.

This might have been alot of fun 30 years ago.
    If you always do what you've always done...
    You'll always get what you've always gotten.

No matter where you go...
    there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEUXDOG View Post
    This might have been alot of fun 30 years ago.
    LOL, try 40 years ago.
    Now it's, walk to that log......break time..look around...lets see, there's a rock...walk to the rock ...slow.....look around...now down to the creek...slow...lets see what tracks are in the mud...break time, look around,...I see that the May apples are up,.....hummmm..how about Morels?

Time to have lunch......what's that coming through the brush?...sounds big, nope....just a bunch of guys running all over the place....guess I can put the gun down now....hummmm didn't even see me...oh well, time to press on....

DT all the more power to ya, enjoy while you can.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-15-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: splin'

Wow, I guess I underestimated the population of people my age on these forums. I'm 19, I figured there had to be at least a dozen people active on these forums under the age of 25. Oh well.