Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife Maker Question......

Oh, well. .... What?! 7 feet of snow?! You clearly live in the wrong place. The grass is greening up and it's raining here.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

*8 above here and should drop to -8* below tonight. But it will shift fast now. We have 12 Hours of Daylight now.

I'm not sure that this one will make the final cut - more of a prototype to see how it turns out. Gotta teach all day tommorow, so probably not too much progress this weekend.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This is where I am with mine. That piece of brass under the blade will be cut into a guard. I havnt figured out the handle entirely yet but I am thinking I will use a pin setup much like Remington uses to hold on the trigger assembly in their 870 shotguns. Push it out, switch the handle around and put the pin back. I will have to play with it a little.
    Last edited by Camp10; 05-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Looking good!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i've got an idea for a convertible handle/sheath, but i think i'll have to try and prototype it.

i'll try to sketch something up, i don't have a suitable cad program on this machine.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

so this isn't exactly what you all had in mind [i think], but this is where my imagination led me, and it meets the criteria you mentioned.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

when in use, the handle snaps onto the tang, and can be released by use of a somewhat recessed levering push button. when not in use, it snaps onto the blade.

the stock could be thick enough to keep it well blunted, mitigating most [though not all] risk of an accident.

i made the design that of the american tanto style, for simplicity's sake [in terms of drawing it quickly].

it would be simple enough to make. the handle materials could be composite, such as wood, micarta, metal, carbon fiber, glass, etc.

the only intricate part would be the lever release and a small spring.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Canid, I like it.

then i'll see what i can do to make a prototype.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I was thinking more along using two of those brass screw and blind nut thing that is used on Leather slings, straps, etc.

I was thinking holes through the blade but thought that might weaken it. I like the lock on top like that. Great idea.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

that can also be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    This is where I am with mine. That piece of brass under the blade will be cut into a guard. I havnt figured out the handle entirely yet but I am thinking I will use a pin setup much like Remington uses to hold on the trigger assembly in their 870 shotguns. Push it out, switch the handle around and put the pin back. I will have to play with it a little.
    If you left that file piece un-treated, should work fine as a fire steel.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I wonder how large they make files/rasps......?
    how about this beast: http://www.amazon.com/Save-Edge-Inch.../dp/B000QUXVCS

the only old file [or any suitable stock] i have handy at the moment needs to be annealed.

it could also stand to be a little wider, and is thicker than nessecary. maybe it's an excuse to get some practice swinging that hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    If you left that file piece un-treated, should work fine as a fire steel.
    Yup, I left it untreated. I did draw the spine of the blade back some to make it a little bit stronger but the file is untouched. The picture shows a little discoloration from the treatment but it didnt get very hot on the file.

i have at least one old Kromedge [craftsman proprietary Ni, Cr, Mo alloy] circular saw blade that i might be able to make some blades out of.

i don't think i'd be able to pull off a heat treat, but i could probably do the grinding in it's hard state without getting the temp up too migh. it would take quite a while, but yield high grade, high hardness and durable blades that are more or less stainless.

i wasn't able to find a description of their composition.

i wanted to add that i'm talking about making a servicable prototype. the final piece will have the rasp surface in the handle section still.

among other things, it would be great for sharpening that much-important axe or machete.

I finished fitting the guard to the blade today. It is still square and needs plenty of shaping but that will have to wait until I have a handle. I made it from two pieces...I've never done that before. I filed half the blade width out of each half and pinned and soldered it together. It seems very strong.

I have gone round and round on how to attach the handle to the blade. I am now thinking I might make a cam type lock so that a half turn of a screw will lock or unlock the blade. This is likely to change again but I will worry about that when I mess with the handle later in the week.

Now I need to decide what material to make the handle out of..any suggestions?

This will be auctioned off for the DOC when it is done...Thanks for the idea Sourdough and for the challenge Crash!!
    Last edited by Camp10; 05-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.

i cut up one of those Kromedge blades today for the prototype:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

chisel grind, american tanto style blade, and i've only got one of the notches filed in for the release so far. i'm having a bit of trouble making the release lever, so i'm going to try to find a piece of scrap that already has an appropriately sized hole, and just grind the shape out from that.

as soon as i can find a suitable file or rasp, i'll get started on the final, now that i have a good idea exactly how i want it.

i'm calling it the Non-to Convertible.

the final version can certainly go to the DOC auction.