Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Willow for fire

Well done Batch.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks guys and thanks for the help.

Oh Yeah? Well....

Congrats!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Congratulations!
    I know the feeling you got when you held the fire in your hands. It's hard to describe that feeling. I smile every time I make friction fire, you just can't help it!
    Well done Batch! Way to go!
    Now that you have a combination that works, practice with that until the mechanics become second nature and you can do it properly without thinking about it. Once you've mastered the posture and workings, you can experiment with any wood you come across.
    Keep it up and congrats one more time. It's a great feeling!!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Well, I am not happy with my Sabal palm fluff for fire bow tinder. I ran out of grass and I think that was the real thing. Besides not rushing the coal.

My mom and dad came over tonight for mothers day and my dad was real interested in the kit. So, I made a coal for him. But, I didn't try fire because the difficulty with the tinder I have left. He was really impressed with the ability to make such a coal. After I set it down my brother picked it up and played with the coal in some other type of wheat like grass I picked up in the glades. He got a lot of smoke and I doubt it would take much to make fire with a proper bundle.

I am picking grass up tomorrow in the glades. We don't have that type of grass in our neighborhoods down here anymore. Still some farm fields. But, not like when I was a kid. Manicured lawns don't have dead grass. LOL

I will be posting video shortly...

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have not attempted to learn grasses yet, but there are lots of different kinds that are usable. I like using my lawn clippings after they've dried for a few days. Pompous grass usually has enough dead in it and there are clumps of what grandma calls "rabbit grass" but looks a lot like "border grass" to me but grows wild and it usually has lots of dead in it too.
    I'm looking forward to the video.
    Great work. And good job introducing others to primitive skills!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

If it's available to you Batch, add some pine straw to your birds nest mixture. I usually add a few types of materials to make one. The point you bring up about what is available is a good one. This is why I keep a few 3-4 inch lengths of sisal rope in my kits. Unfray a section and it makes a great birds nest. While not natural, it works if nothing else is available or dry.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash, we do have pine needles a plenty. I thought about that on the way home. I blew off stopping this afternoon cause I had field guys calling for all kinds of problems today. So far Mondays are Garfield like in my new job. LOL

Lots of tinder combinations to try. Is the sisal rope the same as the jute rope?

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    Crash, we do have pine needles a plenty. I thought about that on the way home. I blew off stopping this afternoon cause I had field guys calling for all kinds of problems today. So far Mondays are Garfield like in my new job. LOL

Lots of tinder combinations to try. Is the sisal rope the same as the jute rope?
    Jute and sisal are similar. Sisal is made (I think) from agave fibers and jute uses a few different fibers. Next time you're in Home Depot check out the section with ropes and wires. The sisal (at least at this end of the state) is sold in 50' pre-packaged lengths. The jute is on the larger spools.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Jute and sisal are similar. Sisal is made (I think) from agave fibers and jute uses a few different fibers. Next time you're in Home Depot check out the section with ropes and wires. The sisal (at least at this end of the state) is sold in 50' pre-packaged lengths. The jute is on the larger spools.
    I will. Jute has been recommended so much I almost have to try it.