Thread: fatwood

Default fatwood

never mind

old post see date above, then go to post #3 for new info
    Last edited by wareagle69; 11-30-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: dumbazz

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

so new info here, go to the thread rick has posted, wiki has some good info as well.
    But now to my discovery, ifn you can call it that, last night i was at my head trappers house talking, well, talking about lots of stuff but he pulls out these big chunks of pine and talks about starting fires, well it was fatwood, my understanding from my lontime mentor is that there is no fatwood up here in the north. so here is how it is to become fatwood up here.
    from what i have read when the pine tree dies and ages it becomes grey, well the fatwood i have is red and very hard, you can take an axe or hammer to it and not dent it.
    The fatwood up here is easy to find, just go to an area after a forest fire and find yourself a burned out pine tree and then go to the stump, same philosophy as the other fat wood is that during the fire all the resin goes down to the stump. and thats how you find fatwood in the north, so i stole a chunk from my trapper to play with but now i am going to where i fought a couple of fires this year and looking for a big chunk of it.
    thought ya might like to know
    WE
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com