Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wool Blanket vs sleeping bag

Hmm... I prefer blankets because I don't like my feet to get that warm... But what about a WOOL SLEEPING BAG?!?!
    "Tread lightly and carry a big stick."-Ben Franklin

Julie, You'll find a lot of wool bag liners but I don't think you'll find many wool bags. As I said above, today's synthetics and down offer below zero comfort in very light weight. Most of today's outdoor enthusiasts are gram counters and try to shave as much weight as possible. So the industry caters primarily to them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julie362 View Post
    Hmm... I prefer blankets because I don't like my feet to get that warm... But what about a WOOL SLEEPING BAG?!?!
    Depending on the size of your blankets, why not either sew 2 together, or fold 1 in half and sew bottom and side to make your own? If you make 2 bags, you can always stuff one inside the other for extra warmth if you need it.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    I had to do some looking but I found it.

This link is to a series of videos, one being how to wrap in a wool blanket for sleeping. If its a cold night this helps trap a lot of heat in the wrapped layers. This guy has other videos. Check them out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nwwoodsm.../1/Gx38go8-Ig8
    Neat site. Enjoyed the videos. I checked out his website, and it all seems expensive to me. I guess a guy's gotta make a living somehow.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Blog Entries

Can't beat a wool blanky with a canvas outer wrap. Def will keep you warm. Well, if you want to go one better, a wool blanket with a military poncho wrap.

Wool is great as it keeps you warm even when soaking wet. I use to trout fish up the road in December, did not have hip boots or waders, I had a pair of AF cold weather boots with the wool insert up to my knees. The water was cold, my feet and legs were wet, yet they were very warm.

Problem with wool blankets, they are so darn bulky. Taking two is a hassle, taking more and you need a pack horse. But you can find them pretty cheap. My Whitney cost me a whole 4 dollars at a yardsale. It was really dirty, my wife made me put it in a trashbag before putting it in the trunk.

When I got home, I pulled it up on the net and showed her what they cost. Chaching...super deal.

I just got back from an advanced wilderness survival class. All we had was a wool blanket(it doubled as our pack). I built my a-frame type shelter, and had a reflector wall to throw my fire heat back into it, my wool blanket was plenty warm, in the 20 degree night.

Blog Entries

You mentioned a biggy, DEFLECTOR WALL. Many don't think of it and build a big ol fire and still freeze their butts off.

If you're going to make a fire, make it right for the application.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    You mentioned a biggy, DEFLECTOR WALL. Many don't think of it and build a big ol fire and still freeze their butts off.

If you're going to make a fire, make it right for the application.
    Somebody needs to roll over.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I find many purists prefer a wool blanket. Stay out of the fire and rain and youll be ok with a sleeping bag. The newer material makes sleeping bags alot smaller nowadays which is nice.

Banned

Hmmm,, Deflector Wall ? Interesting ,,,