Thread: Plant ID help

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Plant ID help

Seeing lots of little flowers in bloom makes me say "What is that" everywhere I go. Well this is one that I've been seeing all my life, but dunno what it is. Anyone care to take a guess?

flowers are purple and white with purple spots on lower lobes. 5 sepals, one united petal divided into 3 lobes. 4 fused stamens (2 long and 2 short), single pistil with two long styles. ovary is superior and produces a 4 chamber "nutlet". Leaves kidney shaped and coarsely toothed, opposite on a square stalk.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

flowers strongly resemble lobelia or loosestrife.

It's a confusing one for me. I'm guessing gill-over-the-ground
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Gill-Over-The-Ground perhaps. It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

wow. definately henbit. How'd you find it so easy? I'm still learning this whole botany thing. Just got Elpel's book Botany in a Day. I did narrow it down to the mints but the flower was throwing me off big time.
    Thanks Rick. You da man!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Henbit?.....never heard of it and it's not in my Peterson guides!

Thank you gentelmen!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Blog Entries

not in any of my guides either. I gotta get that audobon wildflower book.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Yeah I have a wild flower guide to and it not in it either!

You know guys, my yard is coverd with what I always thought was "gill" but never really checked it out,or ate it sooooo, I'll have to make a positive ID here in a couple weeks. Thanks again!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

In other news....Ted was found belly up this week after ingesting hemlock. Family members said they thought it was odd when he poured a bottle of salad dressing on the grass.

Blog Entries

Got another one that's got me kind of stumped.

Alternate leaves are spatulate to round, long petioles, margins entire. leaves slightly wavy, or curled. slightly pubescent (fuzzy).

flowers pea-like, featuring the banner, and wings, but no visible keel. yellow with very light veins. flowers 3/4" or less wide.

Flowers in dense clusters, in a ball shape. clusters form in leaf axils.

Not sure exactly how to describe the root. Not many fibrous roots, and the tap appeared to be a running rhizome, although there were no more of this plant nearby, and it was the only one I observed on the whole plantation.

I'm pretty sure it's some sort of ground nut, or bean, or pea, but the lack of a keel and pinnate leaves is making this one a challenge to ID. It just doesn't seem to fit any tight pattern, and I can't find a similar plant in any of my books.
    Any and all help is appreciated.

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Moving pictures

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

Not sure I can help ID anything, but I will throw something out for you guys to ID.

And another pic:

The root is mostly bulb-like, and layered, but not rounded like an onion - more straight like a leek. The leaves and bulb did not have any smell at all, or very little (so that rules out ramps, which is what I thought it might be at first). It made me think of some kind of lilly or even a lady slipper. Looked more like a lady slipper than anything, but it seemed too big, and not in the right location. This was in a clearcut area on the side of a long slope. It was also more plentiful than lady slipper usually is around here. Ideas?
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT