Thread: 1095 bar stock

Default 1095 bar stock

Anyone have a good source for 1095 bar stock for blade making?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I bought mine at Sheffields Knife Supply. I did not order it on line, so don't know what the shipping charges are. A 72" X 3/16" X 1-1/2" was aroung $38. Here's a link for their catalog. http://www.sheffieldsupply.com/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Admiral steel has some as well. http://www.admiralsteel.com/shop/
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I bought mine at Sheffields Knife Supply. I did not order it on line, so don't know what the shipping charges are. A 72" X 3/16" X 1-1/2" was aroung $38. Here's a link for their catalog. http://www.sheffieldsupply.com/
    Thanks alot Crash...I think I am taking the plunge. I have decided to invest in myself and go for it. I have been getting some nice offers for my last design, The actual knife isn't for sale. I enjoy it and it looks like I can easily recoup an equipment purchase and some stock. It'll give me some security with only the one income at home. By the way good news! the company I work for gave me a raise today! It had been 17 months since they froze all salaried increases. I have also been working there over 20 yrs.! Could you please recommend a belt sander...I know you have...but what is a really good one?
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Quote Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
    Admiral steel has some as well. http://www.admiralsteel.com/shop/
    Thanks Pancho! Look at my reply to Crash and tell me if I am crazy!

CS - looks like the link panch0 gave you has very good prices. Not sure what shipping will add to it.

As far as grinders go - I've got a Grizzly with a 10" wheel. If I had my druthers, I'd have a KMG with all the attatchments, but that get's a wee bit spendy.

Some other very good brands are Burr King, Bader, Wilton - all of which are expensive. For my next one, I'm probably going to build one. Camp10 has a good thread going on building one. If you Google "no weld grinder" you'll see some videos. Plans can be had for about $25.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

CS - looks like the link panch0 gave you has very good prices. Not sure what shipping will add to it.

As far as grinders go - I've got a Grizzly with a 10" wheel. If I had my druthers, I'd have a KMG with all the attatchments, but that get's a wee bit spendy.

Some other very good brands are Burr King, Bader, Wilton - all of which are expensive. For my next one, I'm probably going to build one. Camp10 has a good thread going on building one. If you Google "no weld grinder" you'll see some videos. Plans can be had for about $25.
    Yeah, I was planning to build one. I have a motor and a base. I'll take a look at your googles! and search for Camp's thread! Thanks again!

CS - here's a video of the no weld grinder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfkXQITJeic
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

CS - here's a video of the no weld grinder. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfkXQITJeic
    Pretty dawg gone slick! and yes I can build something real close without plans. I think I'll do what you did though and purchase a starter kit! I wanna make knives right now! Thanks again Crash!

The Grizzly with 10" wheel and freight will run you about $650 or so. The fully loaded KMG - I guess the sky's the limit depending on how many different tool arms you get - well over $4000.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

admiral is, by reputation, one of the best loved steel suppliers for knife-stock.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    admiral is, by reputation, one of the best loved steel suppliers for knife-stock.
    Well I sure liked what i saw but you can only pay by paypal...looks like I will be waiting on paypal to get setup.

I also use Admiral steel. They are fast and have good prices. 1095 and 5160 can be picked up in big pieces and it is nice to have plenty of them around! I am going to put in an order soon myself!

I sent you a PM, but it appears that McMasters-Carr has some as well.

Blog Entries

Admiral usually costs me around 15-19 bucks for shipping. But then again I am way down south.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!