Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project Nessmuk!! (Or - I love my Nessie!)

Your cat was trying to out stage you!! That burl looks really good on that blade! Looks like there is a slight gap between the steel and the wood at the back of the handle. I hope that was just a camera trick. Cant wait to see the finished knife! Nice work Poco!!

Blog Entries

Awesome vid Poco!. That nessies is gonna look sweeeet!. I am really anxious to see this knife completed. Especially with it being your first. Can't wait.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

Updating website! Stop by and tell me what you think!

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Your cat was trying to out stage you!! That burl looks really good on that blade! Looks like there is a slight gap between the steel and the wood at the back of the handle. I hope that was just a camera trick. Cant wait to see the finished knife! Nice work Poco!!
    Thanks!! Yeah the cat was acting like she wanted to play. She is one of Three "Barn Cats" we have. We inherited them as the last people left them here. When we got here they were just skin and bones Practically. Big difference between then and now!! I saw one of them Stalking Rabbits the other night!!
    Quote Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
    Awesome vid Poco!. That nessies is gonna look sweeeet!. I am really anxious to see this knife completed. Especially with it being your first. Can't wait.
    Oh I can't wait til that Epoxy cures!! Is there any way to speed it up??? Just kidding. I chose the Epoxy that takes the Longest to set, as I have heard that cures to be the strongest. I changed my mind on leaving the butt exposed, My Dremel died after the second time I used it. So there went my cutting apparatus.

However I talked to the guy at Lowe's (where I got it) and he said to bring it in on Wednesday or Thursday and he will swap out the whole shooting match for me. Sounded like a winner to me. The dremel I got is the 4000. Supposed to be the "Top of the Line", but there is no maintenance the owner can do to it, It has to be sent back to the Company. If I send it to the Company it will take a while to get it back, which is why the guy is gonna' swap it out for me.

Looks great Poco. Looking forward to the final product.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Poco just take your time on the handles. It is hard to control the excitement especially with it being your first knife and all. Keep up the good work.
    -Frank

Whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon on the knife, the melon suffers. (African Proverb)

One other thing Poco - you left the pins a bit long - be careful that they do not get too hot while you are sanding. I have learned (the hard way) that it can cause your wood to burn.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i had to cool an unstabilized handle in water the otherday because the pins and the tang overheated while sanding.

luckily that copper conducts heat away real quick, and it was a short soak. that could have ruined the handle.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Well I took it nice and slow.......Sorta' ......The Epoxy cured for only 21 hours. But at least now I know how to put a handle on!!! Some of the sanding I did on a sander and some was by hand. As the pins were too long, to make sure I didn't overheat them, I would "Tap" them on the sander, and then pull them away and feel them. By doing this, they never even got warm!! I also used a wood rasp, and various grits of Sand paper, ending up with 2,000 wet/dry sandpaper.

Well, I'll be honest, It has flaws. On the front pinholes when I re-drilled them with a slightly larger bit(by 1/64")I didn't pay attention to where my drill press, support platen was set, and the front pin holes are slightly bigger on one side(I drilled at a 5* angle instead of 0*). I may fill them with wood putty. But I learned!!! Anyway here is the video.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXIAT-FQNO0

Well done Poco. Very nice work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Awesome job Poco! That sure is a nice looking knife man. I can tell in your voice that you are excited. So was easier or more challenging than you thought to complete a knife?
    -Frank

Quote Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
    Awesome job Poco! That sure is a nice looking knife man. I can tell in your voice that you are excited. So was easier or more challenging than you thought to complete a knife?
    Frustrating!! I wanted it done faster than it was completed! LOL

All kidding aside, The Bowie was hard, The Nessie was a labor of love. (Probably why it is done first!) I used no jigs, this is ALL done Freehand. Trying to get the angles "Right" was probably the hardest thing. That and the waiting was the hardest of all. (I'm being very serious when I say that) I have probably 8-16 hours in this (Pure Guesstimation). Yet it took how long to complete??? 3 weeks?? 4 weeks??? Anyway here's a "Glamor shot". There are things you can't see in the video. It just wasn't clear enough. You can see in the second pic, what I was saying about the pin holes.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

That came out very nice! Have you set it down yet? Well done and nice video. Keep them coming!

No C-10, It is in the sheath on my side as I type this!! I will keep it close,until I make one that is better to replace it. Some "stats" on the Nessie.

O-1 steel, heat Treated to 59 RC (Rockwell)
    OAL 9-3/4", BL 5", HL 4-3/4", 1/8" thick at the spine.
    8, 1/8" Brass pins in a Buckeye Burl handle
    There is no Ricasso, none.
    The weight is where I like it, in the handle. This just seems to be more easy for me to control in cutting. The "Balance point" is just slightly forward of the second set of pins from the blade. Almost midway between the first and second pair. It has "Friction grooves" almost hidden in the bottom of the handle on the Tang. Also "Friction grooves" (or knurling) on the spine just Forward of the handle, to serve as a no-slip thumb spot for control,and pressure.

The little that I have used it so far, I really like it. I can shave off pieces of wood, so thin that the breeze takes them away,like feathers. I can also take out big chunks of wood slicing Dead wood. The Blade, I am really pleased with. The Handle, because of faults (mine), not so much. But it is just "cosmetics", nothing that affects it use-ability. It's a worker. That is what I made it for.......... Now for some Vine Ripe juicy Tomatoes!!! THAT is the real test!!

Nice, very nice Poco!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.