Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School Project

-What draws you to nature?

To me, nature is everywhere, whether you're in the middle of nowhere Alaska or in downtown Chicago (the name Chicago is actually an indian word that means "land of the smelly onion," So you see, nature is even found in big cities) Bird are still chirping, trees are still growing, and water is still flowing everywhere.The difference between the two is the level of technology that is present; technology like the process of turning raw ingredients of nature into plastic for example. Broken down (over the course of many years) plastic is still made of the same things that you, me, and the entire world is made of. Realizing that nature is all encompassing, to me, "nature" in the traditional sense (middle of Alaska) is a chance to appreciate the raw ingredients that go into making our technology based civilization possible.

-What is the hardest part of wilderness survival for you?

The hardest part of surviving in the wilderness is maintaining a positive outlook. When you haven't seen water all day and you've missed your only chance at taking your dinner you can begin to feel inadequate, and like you may never see water or a meal again. If you begin to feel bad for yourself and your situation, you will die.

Being thankful for the little things helps. Warmth, shelter, food, and water even in small degrees should be cherished and not taken for granted.

-The easiest?

The easiest part of wilderness survival is learning the technical information. There are a lot of members on the wilderness-survival.net forums that can teach you everything you could ever imagine from ycc's hide tanning how-to's to crashdives homemade knife articles.

-How long have you spent doing this?

I've been camping and fishing since I was a young boy. The extras like backpacking and hunting I've only added recently. I'm 25 so there's still a lot more I have to learn and to do.

-Best experience?

Either catching my first fish or taking my first game. There's something to be said about one hunting or fishing for their food.

-Worst experience?

My worst experience was having my car break down in the middle of winter in northern Wisconsin in the middle of nowhere. When I broke down, it was -30 and was around midnight. I didn't have the blankets in my car that I now keep, so needless to say, I spent the night fighting off the shivers. The next morning in -30 degree weather, I had to walk to the nearest town and find a mechanic that could get me the parts I needed.

-Is it something anyone can do?

If you look at the world as it is. Big cities can sometimes be more wild than the traditional wild. In the wilderness you can be eaten by a bear, but you can also be shot by a mugger in a big city. They both have their predators, prey, and tools to deal with the environment. So Wilderness survival is something everyone does everyday to a certain degree.

That said, unless you win a darwin award, you can perform wilderness survival.

-Should more people learn how?

It is essential that everyone learn wilderness survival. Not only for recreation but in the event of poor fortune. The lord givith and the lord taketh away. When he taketh away, being able to improvise and use the tools you do have will mean the difference between life and death.

I'm not sure if all of these are complete thoughts or even answer the question you initially asked. However if it does, feel free to use my words in any way.

I too am interested in seeing the end product. Keep us posted.

I'm kinda wondering what your definition of Wilderness Survival is.
    -General camping skills?
    - The skills you'd need to live in the Wilderness as a lifestyle (like the guides and other folk here who choose to live well away from civilization)
    - The skills you need should you become lost in the forest with the proper equipment and a leave behind that tells people where you are and when you'll be back so that they come looking for you?
    - The skills you'd need to bug out or get-back-home after a major natural or man-made disaster?
    - The skills you'd need to survive TEOTWAWKI?

No one really sets out to do Wilderness Survival. They may decide to live in the Wilderness but it's just a different way of life from what most urban dwellers would consider.

Watching the great circle.
    I don't practice 'wilderness survival'. It's Knowledge and some practice. Something I hope to never have to use in a real survival situation. I'm more back-to-the-land type than survivor type.
    -The easiest?
    Nothing about survival would be easy.
    Had parents that were proponents of living simply. I'd gotten away from it for several years but am now back into it.
    -Best experience?
    Camping in the White Mountains.
    -Worst experience?
    Winter camping in the White Mountains.
    With the right mindset.
    More people should learn the basics of common sense. How not to get themselves into survival situations, planning ahead, and watching for signs of danger. But, crap happens so knowing how not to panic and how to get your basic immediate needs met is certainly useful to know.
    Last edited by LowKey; 03-06-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Hunter saying, "Hey"

I marvel a a seed sprouting and becoming a plant, an eagle flying, a sun set, the sounds of the birds, a river that can sweep you off your feet......and all you have to do is look, listen, take a whiff, feel the heat and cold, use your senses.It just means you are alive.

I don't really know, explaining it maybe? Never truly had to survive, just got uncomfortable a few times.

-The easiest?
    Having the time, gear, and enough knowledge to concentrate o the having fun part.

55+ years, starting with the earliest memories of hanging out with my father, uncles, friends, family, doing everything for gardening, picking berries/nuts, hunting, boating, fishing, bicycling, sleeping out, cooking, and generally, being out side.

-Best experience?
    Taking my wife and children, nephews, friends out and them having a good time. Learning from them and passing along any knowledge I may have.

-Worst experience?
    Getting stuck in a leaky tent for a week, at 50 degrees and everything we owned was damp or down right wet. We had to keep drying wood in order to burn it.

Yes, if you walk to school, you are already doing it, just look around, feel the sun, wind, trees grass.
    Now you just need to figure out how to stay out there and feel just as at home as you do at home.

That up to them, isn't for everyone.

Hope this make sense to you.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Hi & Welcome!

Welcome to the Wolf-Pack Julie! Thank you for a great intro as now we have some facts so we kinda know who we're talking to. I'm a curmud...er..curmidge...er...an old grump, okay? However, a deal's a deal so here goes:

Questions:

-What draws you to nature? [NATURE ITSELF!]

-What is the hardest part of wilderness survival for you? [SURVIVING; LIKE KLKAK POSTED, DEATH IS EASY! GIVING UP IS EASY! GOING ON WHEN YOU DON'T THINK OR FEEL THAT YOU CAN, THAT'S HARD!

-The easiest? [THRIVING INSTEAD! SEEING THE REWARDS IN BEING PROPERLY PREPARED! I'VE BEEN SURROUNDED BY DEATH, NOT IN BATTLE, JUST IN DAY TO DAY LIVING. PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS PERISHING! (TRY SAYING THAT 10 TIMES REAL FAST!) ]

-How long have you spent doing this?[SINCE I WAS BORN, IT'S CALLED "THE INSTINCT OF SELF-PRESERVATION".]

-Best experience? [FINDING A VERY LARGE PATCH OF MORELS!]

-Worst experience? [HAVEN'T HAD ONE YET, UNLESS YOU COUNT MY 1ST MARRIAGE, BUT I'M 62 YEARS YOUNG, GIVE ME TIME!]

-Is it something anyone can do?[MOST PEOPLE DO IT WITHOUT EVEN REALIZING IT! SOME FOLKS LACK THE WILL TO GO ON; OTHERS NEVER QUIT. SEE MY BLOG FOR MORE INFO ON THIS!]

-Should more people learn how?[WELL, I CONSIDER THAT A STUPID QUESTION, BUT GIVEN YOUR NOVICE POSITION YOU GET SOME SLACK FROM ME: SURVIVAL MEANS LIFE, THE OTHER SIDE IS DEATH; WHAT DO YOU THINK?]

It would be really cool of you to post your completed essay in the blog section of this site so we can see what you wrote & how you did. Welcome to the mad house! SARGE.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 03-06-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added more.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I would be interesting to know how many survival forums she will be surveying and how they compare. They are not all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I would be interesting to know how many survival forums she will be surveying and how they compare. They are not all the same.
    Two that I can find.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Haha! I grew up mostly in the suburbs surrounding Chicago! Lived up in VT for almost 6 years now, but my old house had 2 trees, one that we had to plant ourselves!
    "Tread lightly and carry a big stick."-Ben Franklin

I tried another forum, but it wouldn't let you post until you posted 5 times, which made no sense... This was much easier and laid back!

Quote Originally Posted by Julie362 View Post
    Hello! My name is Julie and I am doing a project for school about wilderness survival. Can you answer a few questions about survival for me? Thanks!
    Please leave your name and what you do as well! It will help me A LOT.
    -Julie M.

Questions:

Solitude and just the expectation of seeing something!

When its very cold, wet (rain), mosquitos, and windy all at the same time...

-The easiest?

High altitude sunny days above the tree line... ( colorado or Snowdon)

37 years.

-Best experience?

Several: but one comes to mind over & over again a single night, many years ago...Deep in a large tract of land miles from anywhere and no tent, next to no gear, just a pack and bag on the ground looking up at three in the morning, and the meteor show was brighter than the moon.

-Worst experience?

Waking up under water as a kid inside a tent in the night. (camping in a hurricane)

Clearly no. One should take a course or read books.

Yes, One should have a basic understanding for the future

Hope that helps for your project!

Mark, Sales of Pest Control, & Wilderness Trapper.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 03-07-2010 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie362 View Post
    Questions:
    -The easiest?
    -Best experience?
    -Worst experience?
    1) The wonders of natures are truly mind boggling. Just to witness them is worth living for. Man in the wilderness bring out the human is us. Prime evil is good for the soul. It gives you a better understanding of where we came from.

2) Coming back to civilization.

3) Communing with nature

4) meeting a woman in the wilderness and never saying a word to each other for the day we spent together. Walking up the next day, and she was gone.

5) Falling off a 50 foot shale cliff.

6) With training, Without, you will just die.

7) No, only the strongest will survive. Its not for the meek.

What doesn't? It is so beautiful. It reminds me of it's creator and his plan for me. It fills the soul and brings balance to life.

The hardest part is finding the resource that you need that is hard to find. This varies dramatically in different areas. As an example, water is scarce in a desert, a warm place is scarce in the arctic, oxygen is scarce on the moon. If you are in a situation were all your basic needs are met easily, then you aren't in a survival situation.

-The easiest?
    Knowing that I can do it.

I have never been in a wilderness survival scenario. I have spent a lot of time over the course of my life (25+ years) in the wilderness and away from civilization, but I was always prepared with the necessary equipment.

-Best experience?
    My best experience in nature has always been when I backpacked into someplace remote.

-Worst experience?
    My worst experience with nature has been when I car camped in some crap site with lots of campers around.

Anyone can survive.

No. I like my solitude.

Here is the MLA documentation if you quote me. If you quote anyone else on this thread, just change the first name, the rest is the same. Use MLA, unless your teacher wants APA.
    E, David. "School Project." Wilderness Survival Forums. 08MAR2010. Chris, Web. 8 Mar 2010. <http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?p=202473&posted=1#post202473>.
    Last edited by finallyME; 03-08-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

Whats "MLA" documentation ? whats it for ?

Voice in the Wilderness preachtheWORD's Avatar

My Faith has given me a very deep respect for God's Creation. I feel much more at home in the woods than in a house.

Finding the time to do it. I'll soon have three small kids, I've got a demanding job, and working on my bachelor's degree.

-The easiest?
    Enjoying myself. When I get out in the woods by myself, it is like all my stress and troubles melt away.

I grew up in the woods, but I have gotten more serious about the outdoors over the last two years or so.

-Best experience?
    Having wild animals walking right up to me before they knew I was there. That is an amazing experience.

-Worst experience?
    Camping in January and letting my fire go out in the middle of the night. I'll never let that happen again.

Well, anybody with a little common sense. There are some people who would endanger themselves and others by their foolishness, presumption, and lack of preparation.

Absolutely. We owe it to ourselves to be at least somewhat self-sufficient.
    Preach It - Teach It - LIVE IT

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Whats "MLA" documentation ? whats it for ?
    Well, if you plan on going to college, you better learn. Otherwise, don't worry about it. Of course, by 3rd grader had 5 sources in MLA format for her one page Pocahontas report. Probably overkill, but it hurts not to.

Justin - MLA is one style of writing professional papers. MLA stands for Modern Language Association and is generally used to write papers and cite sources within the liberal arts and humanities. It's typically the format you use in college level work for literature.

The APA format is used for psychology, education, and other social sciences.

The AMA format is used for medicine, health, and biological sciences.

Turabian is for college students to use with all subjects.

Finally, Chicago Citation is used with all subjects in the "real world" by books, magazines, newspapers, and other non-scholarly publications.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Justin - MLA is one style of writing professional papers. MLA stands for Modern Language Association and is generally used to write papers and cite sources within the liberal arts and humanities. It's typically the format you use in college level work for literature.

Finally, Chicago Citation is used with all subjects in the "real world" by books, magazines, newspapers, and other non-scholarly publications.

Damn, I'm Impressed! I don't have a clue what you said but it sure sounds smart!

Okay....let's try this a bit differently. MLA is one style of skinnin'. You start at the neck and work you're way down.

APA is a 'nother style. You start at the hind legs.

With AMA, you just cut a notch in the fur about mid-way along the back and pull in opposite directions.

Turabian is for skinnin' camel riders.

Chicago Citation is nothing more than a bunch of words you use when you start skinnin' and find out the critter ain't dead.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

As an engineer, I don't use MLA at all. But, when I was in school, I used it all the time for all my non-engineering classes. Generally your teacher should say what format to use. But, in the real world, as long as you somehow note where you stole your info from, you are good. Just don't make it sound like you wrote it yourself (unless you actual did).

Banned

Thanks Rick, for the Answer to my Question,, Seems That you were the only one who "Really" Knew

Well, thanks for all the insight! And for the bibliography lesson? You guys are great!